Phone Battery Life
1660 11 2016-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
reggieandaya
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54091 ft
United States

I'm reading that the battery liife of your phone will shorten's dramatically when using with the Osmo because of the wifi connection. Do many of you shoot with your phone (DJI GO app)? I'm just curious because I'm planning to take the Osmo with us on our trip to the San Diego zoo next month and I'm wondering how much shooting I'll be able to do on a full charge with my phone? I have 3 batteries for the Osmo so I should be able to get a days worth you think? Not planning to shoot non-stop of course but off an out throughout the day with a mixture of video's and pictures.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Thank you

2016-3-21
Use props
Khyber
lvl.2
Flight distance : 373842 ft
United States

with the screen on and brightness up. it's going to eat  your phone battery
2016-3-21
Use props
reggieandaya
lvl.3
United States

Khyber Posted at 2016-3-21 06:19
with the screen on and brightness up. it's going to eat  your phone battery

Do alot of people shoot without using their phone? I mean thats basically what you do with gopro's unless your using the app of course. I guess once you get used to framing your shot, without live view, then the phone isn't really needed most times. You just won't be able to adjust settings on the fly during shots I guess.
2016-3-21
Use props
Khyber
lvl.2
United States

well gopro has a huge fov so you can almost bet you're getting what you're shooting.  I use the lcd on the gopro though.

Being the x5 that I have on the osmo is so much more narrow I need to see what I'm recording...  UNLESS I keep t he osmo stationary and shooting something that won't move from the frame
2016-3-21
Use props
reggieandaya
lvl.3
United States

Khyber Posted at 2016-3-21 10:20
well gopro has a huge fov so you can almost bet you're getting what you're shooting.  I use the lcd  ...

So how do you manage, once your Osmo battery dies your phone is almost there as well? So you basically gotta charge up your phone before you shoot again?

Does the Osmo automatically go into Standby when not using it for a certain amount of time?
2016-3-21
Use props
Khyber
lvl.2
United States

just keep charging.  you could get one of those usb portable charger things and hook your phone to it so it will never die.
2016-3-21
Use props
Solitaire
lvl.4
Australia

reggieandaya@ho Posted at 2016-3-22 01:33
So how do you manage, once your Osmo battery dies your phone is almost there as well? So you basic ...

If you don't connect the app and OSMO the images/videos you take will have a date stamp in 2014. If you want to use the date stamp feature you need to connect the DJI GO app (at least initially after powering up the OSMO).

The biggest killer of my phone battery is the DJI GO app itself. I have found that I need to 'Force Close' the  app as soon as I have finished shooting. I didn't force close the app after having connected last night, and 7 hours after unplugging the phone charger this morning my phone battery was flat! (I hadn't done anything with the app or the OSMO at all to that point). I leave my WiFi off nearly all of the time and mainly turn it on to connect to the OSMO or my Phantom.

I am using an Android phone and it reports "Abnormal battery usage" whenever I run the app and don't force close it as soon as I am finished. Today the app used 41% of the phone battery capacity and it wasn't being used! (Got to remember to force close the app after every usage...).

The new firmware upgrade allows the WiFi to be turned off while shooting - but I suspect the app will also need to be force closed to save battery on the phone.
2016-3-22
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use Anker 20000mAh USB Portable Charger.
You can keep your phone charged and film all day.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-2000 ... &keywords=anker
2016-3-22
Use props
Davidaw
lvl.2

Russia

Here's how I solve the problem!

http://forum.dji.com/thread-46010-1-1.html

The battery rj74 suggests is ideal  but anything like it will work just as well.

2016-3-22
Use props
RegDawg
lvl.3
United States

Solitaire Posted at 2016-3-22 03:54
If you don't connect the app and OSMO the images/videos you take will have a date stamp in 2014. I ...

Thanks for the tip. What android phone are you using? I'm wondering if my Note 5 will fit in the holder.
2016-3-22
Use props
Solitaire
lvl.4
Australia

RegDawg Posted at 2016-3-22 22:37
Thanks for the tip. What android phone are you using? I'm wondering if my Note 5 will fit in the h ...

The Note 5 fits well (as long as you don't have a huge case). I use a Note 3 with a book style case and it works fine.
2016-3-22
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

RegDawg Posted at 2016-3-22 22:37
Thanks for the tip. What android phone are you using? I'm wondering if my Note 5 will fit in the h ...

As long as your device is with length of less than 170mm, it can be held by the holder.
2016-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules