Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom Wish List
12Next >
4013 47 2016-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

What do you want on your wish list for the next Phantom. Add your items in the thread below. I will consolidate.

1) Connectivity
Enhanced connectivity for longer distance flights not acheivable on current radio frequency.
- LTE Support:  When the drone is to far away but cell phone coverage still works how about a backup method for video and controls
- Mounted Arial: Signal repeater and large externally mountable arial for long distance flights using RF
- Drone to Drone repeaters:  one drone 1.5 miles out retransmits your signal to another drone 3 miles out creating a mesh network.

2) Cloud and Analytics Support:

Link to the cloud for additional computing power and features that are not supported on board,
- Gesture Recognition:   Use hand gestures to control the drone instead of controller for that perfect shot (point up down back forward left right - think Kinnect)
- Object Recognition: Program to recognise and search for objects, This could be a car, person, wildlife animal , flaura etc.
- Face Recognitiion: Allow the drone to read a persons face so it knows who is in control of the drone.
- 3D Point Cloud Mapping: Collect point cloud data and upload to cloud, Mashup with Apple Maps and make available to other drones.
- Lost and found tracking and notifcaiton alerts

3) Video and Camera:
Improved camera control and resolution as well as content streaming:
- 360 Gimbal: full viewing from any angle without having to rotate quad
- Motion Tracking with Head Mounted Display
- 3D Camera (two cameras) for 3D viewing especially with HMD (google cardboard)
- Digital Zoom to allow close up shots of items.
- 1080P live video streaming (or switch off in exchange for lower res but more range)
- Should be easier to avoid stuttering/jello effects when filming.  Maybe better handling of shutter speed/better data speed could help?
- Better camera quality in low light
- Hires still photo's while creating a video without stopping video tape.
- Higher resolution than 4K Camera
- 360 degree camera like Nokia OZO https://ozo.nokia.com/

4) Batteries, range and Flight time:
- 2 Batteries:  If you have ever had a battery die in flight you will know why I want this.
- 1 hour flight time: Allow longer flights especially now we will have LTE Support
- Charging Pad, Drone RTH can land on charging Pad and take off again when charged.
- Charging Stations: charging Pads on roofs of buildings and Transfer payment (bitcoin applepay etc)
- Fuel cell battery option for longer flight times.  
- Wireless Power Charging using overhead power lines.
- Laser Powered drones for continious flight.

5) Flight Control
- Full Control Mode:  Why can I do flips and rolls on my $50 quad but I can't on my phantom
- Web based drone control.  All you need is an internet connected web browser and the password.
- XYZ collision avoidance. All angles, backwards forwards sideways up down. Look for objects aproaching and get out of way.
- Better intelligent flight modes. The computer should be your pilot so that you can focus on filming
- Always on multi directional object avoidance that doesn't impact speed performance
- GPS fail over to 4G/3G/LTE Network. If you lose satellite signal, the  mobile network will take over and fail back once satellite signal is  back.

6) Autonomous and Formation Flight
Drones are able to decide when, where and how they fly based on various decision criteria, Multiple drones working in unison to acheive a comon goal
- Drone Avoidance: Identify neighbouring drones and plot current postion and trajectory
- Drone Sync: All drones to follow another drone and mimic its flight path safely: Use Case Example Carying a net between 4 drones.
- Missions:  Regular patrols or trips to fly around an area: Use case security patrol, Animal protection, Weather monitoring
- Decentralized Autonomus Drones: Drones can hire the services of other drones to assist in a process and pay each other for services

7) Construction Enhancements
- Retractable Landing Gear: Landing gear  moves out of camera for our new 360 gimbal
- Propellers that adjust out of shot: Sports mode would be amaizing if we didn't see spinning blades at full throttle.
- Quieter flight. Maybe different prop design. Multiple blades per prop or other unique prop designs specific for quads
- Carbon Fiber Body Construction: Super Light and very strong
- Multi drone link up capabilateis for items such as carrying  large solar panels for longer flight times. (See formation Flight)
- Interface for adding additional robotic devices. (See Robotics and Peripherals)
- Stealth mode: Disable GPS Lights off enable LCD camoflage so you see you only see sky behind it.

8) Robotics and Peripherals
Common interface for Snapping on  power Data and Peripherals providing capabilaites for attaching Robotic  arms, Claws or other devices
- Claw that lowers to pick up items on the ground
- Robot Arm for picking up and manipulating objects.
- Controlable Spot Light for flighing at night, performing searches
- Net type attachments for working with other drones to carry heavy tems
- Laser and or PICO Projector for writing and projecting images on the ground

9) Environmentals
- Water Proof: Rain resistant and waterproof are essential for flights over water
- Floats.  An Air pocket that allows the Quad to float in water so you can find
- Beacon: Lost your quad, battery dead. Broadcast postion for as long as you can
- Cold: Self Warming Batteries: Batteries don't work when cold. We used to be able to hover to heat.

10) Commercial Use Case Support
DJI Drones have reached a level of robustness that the consumer drones can now be used for commercial puroposes. B2B and B2C
Some  obvious examples below but they would need the supporting equipment and  periphreals to support these use cases. Use case could be by the  Robotics Peripheral Addons.
- Advertising Drone: Use low watt lasers and Pico projectors to project advertising on the ground.
- Inspection Drones: Bridge Inspection,  Road Monitoring, Pipeline inspections,  Railway track inspections ..
-  Security Drones: Send Drones to monitor neighbourhoods, shops, schools:  If there is a breakin sound alarrms, Monitor and track perpetrators
- Police Drones: Monitor Road conditions,  Direct Triaffic, Check Car Speeds, Auotmatic Traffic Lights
- Parking inspector drones: Indeitnify cars, take licence plates, check payment,  ticket when expired.
- Live Sports: Film sporting events, Follow the footBall, baseball, soccerball and hockey Puck.  
- Firefighter Drones: Perform controlled burns, Monitor Fires, Search for pets, people in danger
-  Radiation Drones, Safety Drones, Medical Drones .........
- Media and Entertainment
- Delivery Drones

X) Hopes, Dreams and Unicorns
Ideas that I am not sure are legitimate requests but certainly interesting none the less
- Access to satellites for wider angle photos
- Starship Phantom: Intergalactic space travel
- Able to acheive low earth Orbit
- Every drone comes with a free pony
- Radiactive material powered drones
2016-3-21
Use props
nickmedici
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88287 ft

The whole LTE part is never happening
2016-3-21
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

nickmedici@bell Posted at 2016-3-21 22:13
The whole LTE part is never happening

Why not?  I can't see any technical limitation for adding LTE support.
2016-3-21
Use props
waynepj3
lvl.3
  • >>>

The Holy grail list for drones is as follows:

1. Obstacle Avoidance..all modes, all directions. No good reason for OA to be on sometimes and off others. It's dangerous. Increases the likelihood pilot will think OA is on and it's not and result in crashes.

2. 1 hour flight time. Imagine what you can do with full 1 hour flights?

3. Longer range. 3 miles is great. Pilots are already flying outside of visual range. I would like to catch footage in SF while standing in San Francisco. Lets make that happen.
2016-3-21
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

waynepj3@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-21 22:29

1. Obstacle Avoidance..all modes, all directions. No  ...

added 2 and 3 but I think we need to discuss OA always on and all modes. Is this a good idea as the P4 flies really slow in OA mode as it can't course correct or stop on a dime at full speed.  Even longer range sensors would be a problem as moving objects could enter flight path.   People also like to be in control as well.
2016-3-21
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791184 ft
United States

Should come with a pony.
2016-3-21
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I just want my phantom 4 to have the FPV range of my phantom 3 advanced.
2016-3-21
Use props
nickmedici
lvl.3
United States

Nink Posted at 2016-3-21 22:21
Why not?  I can't see any technical limitation for adding LTE support.

Because if I'm not mistaken, they would have to have access to the phone companies cells towers.
2016-3-21
Use props
waynepj3
lvl.3
  • >>>

Nink Posted at 2016-3-22 10:39
added 2 and 3 but I think we need to discuss OA always on and all modes. Is this a good idea as th ...

Faster speed means longer range sensor to give craft ability to slow and avoid obstacles.

OA doesnt have to mean slow flight. Just adjust stopping distance according to speed. Probably more complicated from a programming stand point than I am aware of.
2016-3-21
Use props
waynepj3
lvl.3
  • >>>

I forgot to mention....OPTICAL ZOOOOOM!!! No more expending batt life trying to get physically closer to an object or subject. Optical zoom would take care of that.
2016-3-21
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

waynepj3@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-22 15:25
I forgot to mention....OPTICAL ZOOOOOM!!! No more expending batt life trying to get physically close ...

Ah Yes, now I remember you. Nuff said.
2016-3-21
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

nickmedici@bell Posted at 2016-3-22 00:03
Because if I'm not mistaken, they would have to have access to the phone companies cells towers.

and if I am not mistaken AT&T and other telco's will be more than happy to sell you a SIM and charge you for data
2016-3-22
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Your serious right? The phantom 4 came out not even a WEEK Ago and you are already asking for features for the phantom FIVE??!! I guess you'll never be satisfied with anything you own.
2016-3-22
Use props
boxerman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

6.  Ability to achieve low earth orbit.
2016-3-22
Use props
terjetyl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7 ft
Norway

1, 2) With 5G mobile networks this could actually be feasible and then with a lot more possibilities

3)
- 360 would require more complex controllers. I think better intelligent flight modes could solve this problem a lot better
- Wouldn't it be better to do digital zoom post. No need to make more complex camera controls when you can easily do this in post.
- 1080p: More data need to stream down to RC: I would rather have more range

4)
- 2 batteries would be a perfect failsafe. Makes sense after the dual compass and IMU on P4

5)
- Can't really see the need more sports mode and the alike. I use my phantom for filming. If I wanted do to flips I would buy a cheaper drone made for that purpose. More speed and power is of course welcome to handle strong winds

My wishlist is:
1) Quieter flight. Maybe with a different prop design. I have been thinking if this design could not be more efficient: http://www.southerncross.pentair ... lls/IZ-Windmill.png
2) Should be easier to avoid stuttering/jello effects when filming. Maybe better handling of shutter speed/better data speed could help?
3) Better camera quality in low light
4) Better collision avoidance. All angles
5) Better intelligent flight modes. The computer should be your pilot so that you can focus on filming.

I have high hopes for Phantom 5 but I think we need an upgraded Inspire first to avoid cannibalization of the Inspire
2016-3-22
Use props
terjetyl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7 ft
Norway

waynepj3@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-22 05:25
I forgot to mention....OPTICAL ZOOOOOM!!! No more expending batt life trying to get physically close ...

A good optical zoom would likely add quite some weight also affecting the battery life.
2016-3-22
Use props
nickmedici
lvl.3

Nink Posted at 2016-3-22 20:44
and if I am not mistaken AT&T and other telco's will be more than happy to sell you a SIM and char ...

I guess. I still don't think it is possible but even if it was, would anyone want to pay a monthly fee for that? How about just making it possible for better signal. All of the outside companies make mods to make the range better, why can't DJI do that? They can but like everything technology gets rolled out slow so they can slow upgrade each model and you'll want to buy the Phantom 4,5,6,7...
2016-3-22
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

terjetyl Posted at 2016-3-22 15:42
1, 2) With 5G mobile networks this could actually be feasible and then with a lot more possibilities ...

Really good points thanks.  I will merge them into the list.  I found the props with 3 blades more stable flight but they seem to chew battery life quicker.   

I guess you are right we will probably see inspire stay 1 step ahead and then push features down to P5 as the cost go down with volume.
2016-3-22
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

added a Hopes Dreams and Unicorns section to put the feature requests I wasn't quite sure where to put.  
2016-3-23
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

Nink Posted at 2016-3-23 09:06
added a Hopes Dreams and Unicorns section to put the feature requests I wasn't quite sure where to p ...

Added environment sections.  Drones should be water proof and float. Batteries should be self warming.
2016-3-23
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-22 02:11
you forgot retractable landing gear.

+1 to that. And then a full 360 degree controllable camera not just up and down ;)

Also to be able to take a still with out having to stop the video. It's a real pain to have to take it off the video at a later date on the PC.
2016-3-24
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

added still photos during video and a Robotics and Peripheral attachment section.  These are Accessories you can connect and disconnect depending on the function you want to perform that day. This will be essential for different commercial applications.
2016-3-24
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 261033 ft
United States

waynepj3@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-21 21:29

1. Obstacle Avoidance..all modes, all directions. No  ...

The P4 granted the 3.1 mile wish
2016-3-24
Use props
wtrskinut1
lvl.2

United States

These are the voyages of the starship Phantom. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
2016-3-24
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

connorschulte@g Posted at 2016-3-24 10:19
The P4 granted the 3.1 mile wish

Adding intergalactic space travel to the hopes dreams and unicorns section
2016-3-24
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 261033 ft
United States

Nink Posted at 2016-3-24 09:35
Adding intergalactic space travel to the hopes dreams and unicorns section

Ah yes. Perfect.

I suggest you check out: http://forum.dji.com/thread-46545-1-1.html

An "executive from apple" (Who know's if this is true). Is saying they are getting a high amount of returns because the P4 is getting low battery time, and can't fly as far as the P3.
2016-3-24
Use props
Homestead72
lvl.2

United Kingdom

How about a more intuitive firmware upgrade process?
2016-3-24
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

Homestead72 Posted at 2016-3-24 19:17
How about a more intuitive firmware upgrade process?

Any thoughts how this would work ?  perhaps when your ipad has data => Transfers to Controller => Controller => SD Card internally on Drone =>  Screen on Mobile / Tablet  Says touch here to update firmware  on your drone Now / Remind me later / Tonight / Never  ...  Like an iphone does (except they don't have a never choice just nagware
2016-3-24
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

Michael M Posted at 2016-3-22 10:56
Your serious right? The phantom 4 came out not even a WEEK Ago and you are already asking for featur ...

People are retarded.
2016-3-24
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-22 00:33
Ah Yes, now I remember you. Nuff said.

Im keeping my curtains closed if this dude ever gets his zoom  wish.
2016-3-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Elmer Fudd Posted at 2016-3-25 14:42
Im keeping my curtains closed if this dude ever gets his zoom  wish.

Is he near you? I would just get out the 12 gauge drone jammer.
2016-3-24
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-25 00:05
Is he near you? I would just get out the 12 gauge drone jammer.

I dont know where he is. Thats the scarey part.
2016-3-24
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

Added some commercial use cases including advertising using PICO Projector or Low Watt Laser on Drone that projects images and words on the ground.  also added a bunch of other use cases from saefty inspection, policing highways, controlled burn off and search and rescue missions.  
2016-3-25
Use props
water_0106
Banned

Singapore

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-26
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

water_0106@hotm Posted at 2016-3-26 10:55
1. GPS fail over to 4G/3G/LTE Network. If you lose satellite signal, the mobile network will take ov ...

Thanks great ideas. I added your GPS tracking using cell phone triangulation (that would make more accurate as well when both GPS and cell work together)
Added you Z acccess object avoidance everyone talked about left right back front but you were first to mention the tree branch above you (and I have hit it)
I think you were asking for > resolution than 4K video but was not sure so I added that
I added the lost and found alert.
Longer flight times everyone requested. Maybe we need a separate thread to brainstorm options,
2016-3-27
Use props
rover.hoofdman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1023182 ft
Netherlands

More add-ons for people who want to invest in their preferences:
Long range addicts: fuel cell battery option
Photo lovers: All the camera option mentioned
Free channel for options.
2016-3-27
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

added Fuel cell battery options I think we covered the addons, peripherals not sure I understand free channel for options ??
Also added Laser Powered (OK maybe not P5 but P101 for sure).  
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=47071
2016-3-28
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

added Wireless power charging to use on my High Voltage Power Drone Super Highway http://forum.dji.com/thread-47239-1-1.html
Added Stealth Mode

Removed P5 and just made it Phantom wish list as some items are doable today and some are waiting on technology enhancements (ie doesn't exist yet)
2016-3-29
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

dkruseski Posted at 2016-3-21 19:42
Should come with a pony.

With dji, anything can be accomplished.
2016-3-29
Use props
water0106