Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Feature improvement with digital zoom-recommendation
1459 12 2016-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tpallai
Second Officer

United States

To DJI:     Now with digital zoom, I think this will be a nice improvement and a feature that is long awaited. But now instead of having to pinch the screen, what if you could use the gimbal wheel tilt to control zoom in and out instead, and the C1 and C2 could be programmed to switch between gimbal tilt and zoom control. This would allow for much smoother and very useable zoom in video. I think this would be a great improvement DJI!

2016-3-21
Use props
4StateFlyer
lvl.1

United States

I think add it to one of the custom buttons be able to zoom out max, and zoom in max.  If one button could zoom in and out quick, that would be a neat feature.
2016-3-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

All it will do is make the picture look like crap and jump all over the place because the gimbal stabilisation will not work properly when zoomed in. You might be long-awaiting it, but serious users are not.

This has been asked many times before. The answer is to fly closer, and if you want crap pictures from digital zoom, then do it in post production. If you do it on the camera, then you don't have any way of undoing it, whereas in post you do. Bad idea.
2016-3-21
Use props
C_LUU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 481988 ft
Australia

In my opinion digital zoom is useless, You can simply zoom in post production to get the exact same effect. If it were an analog zoom then that would be different as you are zooming in without loss.
2016-3-21
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

That is a great suggestion!  I'll pass it to our R&D
2016-3-22
Use props
Show Me Drone
lvl.3

C_LUU Posted at 2016-3-22 13:05
In my opinion digital zoom is useless, You can simply zoom in post production to get the exact same  ...

you mean Optical Zoom ?
2016-3-22
Use props
pfalcon
lvl.1

United States

No, it is digital - not optical zoom that is useless.  As stated already, the effect of digital zoom can be done post production, so can be considered useless as a camera function.  We would all like to see optical zoom on our cameras, but there are many cost and technology hurdles that stand in the way of that...
2016-3-22
Use props
C_LUU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 481988 ft
Australia

Apoogies, yes optical zoom is what i ment.
2016-3-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Little ol cynical me would point out that the official DJI response was exactly the same as the last time this was raised, and probably the same as the time before that.....
2016-3-22
Use props
Kyokushin
Captain
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

Is digital zoom works also in Phantom 3 pro?
2016-3-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kyokushin Posted at 2016-3-24 19:26
Is digital zoom works also in Phantom 3 pro?

No......   
2016-3-24
Use props
Show Me Drone
lvl.3

I believe this is they way to think about the difference in Optical vs. Digital zooms..   Optical Zoom will get your (picture/view) closer without degradation in quality . Think of this as in using binoculars. Digital zooms works great up to a certain point without loss of quality but once you reach THAT point and zoom out farther the pixels become distorted and blurry do to the computer portion of digital "guesses" what should be in that pixel  vs. what is actually there.
2016-4-1
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.3

Canada

Are you using the drone for surveillance purposes?

Otherwise what is the point of reducing your field of view further with a digital zoom?

There is nothing that can't be had for imaging purposes with post processing of the pictures.

The only tangible reason one will need digital zoom on their drone is for surveillance purposes in real time as it allows you to get a better easier on the eyes picture of the video feed in real time on a screen of limited size.

Otherwise, everything can be done to the data AFTER with image processing.

So why do you need digital zoom? Not that I'm against adding extra features per se. I think more features in general is better.
2016-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules