Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Can I turn off the (way too loud) startup tone?
12Next >
73730 65 2016-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JanPrivat
lvl.1
Flight distance : 227484 ft
Germany

Hey there,

is there a way to turn off the startup tone? It is just annoying, and way too loud for my taste.

Kind regards
2016-3-22
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

no, unfortunately you can not. In the new P4 firmware we've change the sound to more pleasant one
2016-3-22
Use props
sinbad_uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 117343 ft
United Kingdom

I agree, I am sure this can be turned off with an update. please request it as it is very annoying. start up the P3 and everyone within a mile is looking at you
If I want to use the flight sim in the comfort of my living room I have to walk down the garden first to switch it on as my Son is sleeping. So I wake up the neighbours instead . there is no reason for it to be so loud.
2016-3-22
Use props
Bhujang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

+1 to the op. It is way too loud and horrible sound on the p3p. Can it be changed with a fw update request for the future? Does your tech team take fw request changes DJI-Tim? If so please put this one on the list ;)
2016-3-22
Use props
todor
Captain
Flight distance : 2172805 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-22 10:34
no, unfortunately you can not. In the new P4 firmware we've change the sound to more pleasant one

@DJI-TIM, if I understood correctly, you were only changed the sound (in P4), but the option to be turned off shouldn't be implemented? Does this mean, that you (DJI) are going to pay firmware attention for such as "issues" like the startup sound to P4 and forget about all the owners of P3 and their UAVs?

I am just a curious owner of Phantom 3 Pro,
Todor
2016-3-22
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

sinbad_uk@ntlwo Posted at 2016-3-22 06:23
I agree, I am sure this can be turned off with an update. please request it as it is very annoying.  ...

With the latest firmware update it's much quieter, all rc toys have a start up warning sound, to warn you that it's armed so it's something that can't be turned off.
2016-3-22
Use props
JanPrivat
lvl.1
Flight distance : 227484 ft
Germany

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-22 09:34

@ Tim: Thanks for your quick answer. It would be great if you could pass on this issue to the dev team. I am sure you would make a lot of people happy.
2016-3-22
Use props
P3_Nutz
lvl.4

United Kingdom

+1!! The sound is too loud especially when turning it on indoors!!
2016-3-22
Use props
Dioden
Second Officer
Sweden

I totally agree, it’s a horrible sound and to loud, too sharp
2016-3-22
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

Startup tone will never be removed, its a safety feature.

Everyone around you should know a potentially lethal aircraft is being armed for flight.  
2016-3-22
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.4

United States

It scares the hell out of my little dog.
But.....as annoying as the sound is, it DOES let you know that it is powered up and ready to go.
Good thing to know if you accidentally hit a lever.
I say don't get rid of it, but maybe not so loud, or even a much shorter sound as a single beep maybe.
2016-3-22
Use props
Anderjon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

Based on the premise that no competent product designer,  let alone a multi-billion dollar company, would ever select the P3P's insanely annoying startup sqwark on purpose when there are so many other more pleasant and sophisticated audible tones to choose from, I can only surmise that it was designed during the late 1980's by Nintendo back when engineers could only create really basic noises with primitive technology. I'm thinking 2 sound engineers trapped in a room with only Pong and Frogger as reference, handed $5 and told "give it a go boys, we don't care what you produce".

Begs the question though why DJI haven't increased their sound engineer budget to say, $8. You can get a freelancer in Fiverr to do it for about that. Maybe a pleasant chime, or even, and this is going well outside the box I know, the ability to silence it.

Woah! Slow down there Anderjon, we're not trying to take over the world here.......

2016-3-22
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Everyone seems to think this would be an easy thing to do, that all you have to do is change the code to not sound the startup tone.  Yet no one seems to realize that maybe there isn't the physical ability to do so as wired.  That is, if there is no electronic switch in series with the tone generating or amplifying circuit, you simply can't turn it off-it's hard wired ON.  IF, however, there IS a  switch in that circuit, then of course it should be doable.  The fact is, no one here knows.  They P4 obviously has programmable tones that have been changed, but even there, there's nothing that guarantees there's an actual muting switch in the hardware.
2016-3-22
Use props
ghtracey
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7224 ft
Canada

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-3-22 14:42
Everyone seems to think this would be an easy thing to do, that all you have to do is change the cod ...

It's a computer. The programming tells it to make noise. It can as easily not tell it. And for those who say it's a safety for when you arm a (cough cough not) potentially lethal drone I'd like to point out that the noise is made at power up. There is no warning when the aircraft is actually armed. It's completely unnecessary.
2016-3-22
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I'm not saying it is or it is not capable.  I'm just saying the hardware MAY not be present for the firmware to not turn on.
2016-3-22
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.4

United States

I'd like to point out that the noise is made at power up. There is no warning when the aircraft is actually armed. It's completely unnecessary.
At power up there is potential.....
The aircraft does not carry weapons...so armed?.....
Yes it is completely necessary......   
Dumb people = lawsuits. That's why.
2016-3-22
Use props
rj74
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1
Start up sound is still way too loud.
Needs only to be a very soft sound to indicate start up, with option to turn the sound off if preferred.

start up sound is improved in recent firmware but still way too loud.
2016-3-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

-10. I like it the way it is. Please DJI, make it  louder.
2016-3-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The squeals are your Esc's which are talking to the motors. Checking everything for you. This happens in micro-milliseconds.
Be happy, because when the beeps are over, so are your flights... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-3-22
Use props
Tintin
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Who cares about something so absolutely irrelevant. Really!
2016-3-22
Use props
dji-p3p1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

Has anybody opened up their copter, located the Piezzo Buzzer/Speaker that makes the offending sound, pointed a barrel at it and pulled the trigger.... Ahem.., stuck some tape/foam over it to make it Shrek less?

I have never opened my P3, but I suppose there is a speaker of some sort in there, and not a very small crazy minion inside blowing a large trumpet.

TrumpetMinion.jpg
2016-3-22
Use props
Elmer Fudd
Second Officer

United States

sinbad_uk@ntlwo Posted at 2016-3-22 06:23
I agree, I am sure this can be turned off with an update. please request it as it is very annoying.  ...

Lol. last week i went down to our local lake to do a little flying.I was surprised at the amount of people there. I wanted to lift off discretely from the parking lot but it turned out i was the center of attention. Very annoying.
2016-3-22
Use props
Karthik Raju
lvl.1

India

Yeah same problem here...  We need an option to mute it...  We know the P3 has started from the gimbal dance..  We request this to be included in the next update
2016-3-22
Use props
Sajid Shah
Second Officer
Flight distance : 627539 ft
Portugal

Yup Its a same problem when u ON  It in public place every one look at u with curious Eyes
2016-3-22
Use props
Northofthe49th
Captain

Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-22 16:34

You would think that with your relationship with Apple that you would give users the opportunity to pick their own P-tune from iTunes to start up with....

Just don't get that you guys don't think this far ahead......Just sayin!
2016-3-22
Use props
Airwolf
New

Australia

Leave it alone, it's a good warning. I want to know if some random kid is starting up a drone  with potential to cause injury in the parking lot.
2016-3-24
Use props
spiderbot.sb
Second Officer
United States

How about an option to at least lower the decibel level?  Power up sound is not necessary.  The P3 makes enough noise when it's flying.  That silly power up music gets most of the dogs in the area barking.  Hurts their ears more than it hurts mine and it does hurt mine.

Please consider this request, DJI.
Thanks
2016-3-24
Use props
talk2t_c
Second Officer

France

Airwolf Posted at 2016-3-24 11:54
Leave it alone, it's a good warning. I want to know if some random kid is starting up a drone  with  ...

I fully agree - if it bothers you, take a small duvet (off cut) with you and cover it over as best you can when starting up.
2016-3-24
Use props
anandharaj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 55184 ft

I too agree with this.  It will be good if the volume can be adjusted.
2016-3-24
Use props
Oleksiy
lvl.4
Switzerland

Me too. I live in an apartment block. And if I want to switch on my P3A to check some settings (without propellers) in the evening, I have got a feeling that it is a bit too loud. Perhaps, an option to make the level 50%?

I have even worse problem with my Li-Po charger, non-DJI, for fixed-wing aircraft. It is an excellent charger, but when a battery is fully charged it produces ten sharp loud sounds. Perhaps, a designer lives in an own house where it is not an issue.

And the worst is my MacBook Air computer. I cannot switch off the start up sound. I tried everything. The only way is to make audio level low before shutting it down. But if I forget and switch it on late at night it is like an explosion.
2016-3-24
Use props
afiend69
Second Officer
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

warranty is over in a couple months, then I will fix it
2016-3-24
Use props
My vote would be to have an option to mute it completely.

2016-3-24
Use props
Orange5ive
Flight distance : 112477 ft
United Kingdom

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-3-23 00:13
Has anybody opened up their copter, located the Piezzo Buzzer/Speaker that makes the offending sound ...

There is no speaker in there, it's the motors making the sound
2016-3-24
Use props
dji-p3p1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

Orange5ive Posted at 2016-3-25 09:07
There is no speaker in there, it's the motors making the sound

Damn!  ....,  4 minions hiding in each motor to deal with.!!!!

..... Well in that case we will just have to remove and bin all the motors.., Noise Problem Solved!!

But seriously, There must be a way to programme the ESC's with a different sound. I've programmed Simon K's many times to humm different tunes.

2016-3-24
Use props
zeusdog
Flight distance : 220899 ft

+1  to OP's lament and the request to turn it off in future firmware update.  The noise is way too loud.  
2016-3-24
Use props
Troubleshooter
lvl.4
  • >>>

the sounds is like "DUN DA DUNN DUNNNN DA"
2016-3-25
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

mcphipps900 Posted at 2016-3-22 13:20
It scares the hell out of my little dog.
But.....as annoying as the sound is, it DOES let you know t ...

The Visual Positioning System is what's freaking your dog out. Its the high frequency noises the GPS makes that drives animals crazy near a phantom just being on with the motors off.
2016-3-25
Use props
nickxau
lvl.1

Australia

mrGREEK360 Posted at 2016-3-25 17:16
The Visual Positioning System is what's freaking your dog out. Its the high frequency noises the G ...

Then why does my P2V+ without a VPS also make my dog go crazy?
+1 for being able to lower or mute the startup sound.
2016-3-25
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-22 04:34

Since were on the topic of this... I just recovered a lost P2V i lost last yr. It was in a tree for 8 months. A week later I replaced it with another of the same..Anyhow.. Every time I started it. It would give the first 3 loud beep sounds.. Same with the one I replaced it with.. When i got it running again last week. Now it starts up with the same 3 beeps, and also with 3 more beeps on the end of the cycle.. What caused it to change the startup beep sound to the longer tone?
2016-3-25
Use props
Bhujang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

How about more control to this. Volume level 1 to 5 even if it was quieter would be OK and those that need an alarm have one.
2016-3-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules