Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Geo Fence!?!? ...and a football club!
3150 21 2016-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
leepatto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ok, so after owning a Blade last year, I decided I wanted to upgrade to a  DJI Phantom 3 Pro when they come down in price, which they did  recently, so now I have one.  I can't fly it though, not anywhere near  my own house anyway.  I live near Anfield Stadium, the home of Liverpool  Football Club, UK.  They have recently set up a "Geo Fence" to stop  people flying drones in the park next to the stadium.  One of the  workmen building their new stand told me this.  Since they do not own  the park (or my house), I was wondering how they could do this?  Is  there a way to override this?  The drone will not take off anywhere in  the large park next to the stadium, or even in my own rear yard at my  house!?, How are they allowed to do this sine LFC do not own the park,  and last time I checked, don't own my house or the rest of the Anfield  area?  (Although they behave as if they do).  So I have a drone I can't  fly unless I travel outside this massive fence they have set up.  I have  checked on the DJI website before buying the Drone and also recently,  and the only No Fly Zone near me showing on the map in Liverpool is  Speke Airport, which is fair enough.

I know they have done this  so they have exclusive rights to fly drones and film their stand being  built, since they released their own drone footage last week, so the  football club obviously has a work around and control over this Geo  Fence.  

Please help, so that I don't have to return my drone since it is pretty much useless to me at the moment.

Thanks
2016-3-22
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Try this.

You can self-authorise yourself.  Although, you could well be breaking the law flying in a congested area.  By doing this, you acknowledge responsibility for your actions so DJI can wash their hands, which is fair enough.
2016-3-22
Use props
leepatto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

nigelw Posted at 2016-3-22 13:52
Try this.

You can self-authorise yourself.  Although, you could well be breaking the law flying in  ...

Thanks Nigel, I can't see a link on there to self authorise?, but I'll check out the DJI Website see if I can find it.
2016-3-22
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

leepatto Posted at 2016-3-22 19:57
Thanks Nigel, I can't see a link on there to self authorise?, but I'll check out the DJI Website s ...

You need to download the beta firmware & upgrade the aircraft.
2016-3-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

GO to Advance Unlocking and look at your area in the map, if it's not a red zone then you can fly there. If it's a yellow zone, you can unlock the zone and are free to fly there.
You just have to download the 2.4.4 GEO Beta app to your Android device from this webpage and also download the firmware from this page as well.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
2016-3-22
Use props
leepatto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-22 20:51
GO to Advance Unlocking and look at your area in the map, if it's not a red zone then you can fly th ...

Thanks Nigel and Ken, at the moment, it is saying I don't need to unlock the area, so that explains it better, will give that a try.
2016-3-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

leepatto Posted at 2016-3-23 05:07
Thanks Nigel and Ken, at the moment, it is saying I don't need to unlock the area, so that explain ...

Look at this map, if it's a no fly zone, then put the Beta firmware and app onto your aircraft and your device and you'll be able to fly there.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly
2016-3-22
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-22 16:09
Look at this map, if it's a no fly zone, then put the Beta firmware and app onto your aircraft and ...

I find it fascinating that DENver is not a no-fly zone!
2016-3-22
Use props
davidson_g
Second Officer
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-22 21:09
Look at this map, if it's a no fly zone, then put the Beta firmware and app onto your aircraft and ...

Ouch... It looks like it's a red no fly zone, designated a special area.
2016-3-22
Use props
leepatto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-22 21:09

Please see attached, they are showing as a "Special Area", so will the Beta process work to get around these?

Thanks
specialarea-liverpool-uk.JPG
2016-3-22
Use props
leepatto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

...and if there is no way around this, how are they allowed to impose these restrictions, covering my house and many others, including a massive park belonging to the public and not the football grounds?
2016-3-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

leepatto Posted at 2016-3-23 05:22
Please see attached, they are showing as a "Special Area", so will the Beta process work to get ar ...

If this is the map from Flysafe and NOT the GEO Advance Unlocking and the GEO map does not show it as a Red NFZ, then you should be able to fly there.
Install it all and test it out.

Here's some instructions I wrote up a while ago, they may help you.
Instructions for GEO Beta app download onto  Android   device (currently only available for Android)

Uninstall the GO app from device: Go to settings, Applications, Application manager, find GO app and uninstall.

Installing 2.2.4 GEO Beta app: Go to DJI Geo webpage http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system

Click on Android Beta Version APK, Agree to terms and it will then download

Go to  My Files, in Recent files click on the DJI app icon and it may say “Install Blocked” click on settings (if you get a different error then go to settings and scroll down to “Lock Screen and Security” Under Unknown sources slide the button to ON. Then go back to the DJI icon in My Files and then tap the icon and click agree and then the new 2.4.4 GEO Beta version app will open.

You also have to install the 1.7 firmware for your aircraft from the same DJI link. (only available for the P3 Pro/Advanced and Inspire.

When you get to the flying site, if it’s an Authorization Zone you can unlock providing a credit card or mobile phone number (using cell will send you a text message with a code)

You can also unlock from home ahead of time by using the map page and you can unlock up to 30 zones and they will be unlocked for 72 hours.  http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock

2016-3-22
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

leepatto Posted at 2016-3-22 21:25
...and if there is no way around this, how are they allowed to impose these restrictions, covering m ...

That's part of the problem with DJI.  It's DJI that implement this, there's no law involved in their decision.  On the other hand, it's against the law to fly within 150 metres of a congested area in the UK, yet they don't stop that.
2016-3-22
Use props
leepatto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for your advice.  Ken, I will try your instructions.  The Map is from Flysafe on this link you provided: http://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly

I already have the 1.7 Firmware on the Aircraft (I did this before my first attempt at flying).  I think 1.7 is the latest available?, and that is what I installed.  I will put the Beta App on my Phone.  So having already installed the latest available "Official" Firmware on the Aircraft, will I still be able to install the Beta Firmware listed on the link you provided?

Thanks
2016-3-22
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

Put up your own Geofence and block them from flying and have them ask you for permission to fly.

The more I hear about this GeoFence stuff the more I dislike it. Yes I know, it's safety. But if every other building or house gets their own DNF GeoFence then you will not be able to fly anywhere.  
2016-3-22
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Welcome to the new world order where stuff you buy with your money isn't really yours and a chinese company has control over whether you fly or not.
2016-3-22
Use props
Tintin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

leepatto Posted at 2016-3-22 22:50
Thanks everyone for your advice.  Ken, I will try your instructions.  The Map is from Flysafe on thi ...

Hi there. I live not far from Liverpool's training ground on Melwood and occasionally fly my P3A nearby (but not over) the training ground. There is currently no geo-fencing at that location but your post makes me wonder that it's just a matter of time! I wouldn't mind if the issue at Anfield was about safety but it's not, and it makes me angry. Not content with charging such extortionate prices that prevents ordinary working class families from going to watch a match, it seems that they want to make sure nobody gets to see anything for free, therefore implementing the geo-fencing. For many many years people have watched Liverpool training through gaps in the fence at the training ground, but recently they have installed large curtains all around the pitch to stop people watching. I think I may take my Syma X8 (which is the same size as my P3A) to Anfield and fly around the ground just to irritate them!
2016-3-22
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

This is one reason I keep my old Phantom with outdated firmware. I can fly it anywhere and at any altitude.
2016-3-22
Use props
leepatto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

SVTRay Posted at 2016-3-23 00:39
This is one reason I keep my old Phantom with outdated firmware. I can fly it anywhere and at any al ...

I think I might have to return the Phantom 3 Pro, I got this one believing it was the one to get, apart from the Inspire which I didn't fancy paying out for.  This Geo Fencing seems more trouble and work than it's worth.  I will try to get around it though, in not just to annoy LFC.  Have to agree with Tintin, I don't like the way it's going.  Years ago people used to sit on the wall and watch them train, the Manager and Players would speak to them and acknowledge them.  

I have calibrated everything on the Aircraft, and there is some serious vibration on the lens when filming, and the weather is very mild, so it must be from the props?   The Horizon is also wonky / on a tilt?  what's all that about?  At 180m Height, I got a weak radio signal warning, despite having the antennas pointed as advised.  Is all this normal for the Phantom 3 Pro?  I had a Horizon Blade and never had any problem like this, and it was half the price.

Thanks all
2016-3-23
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

Revert back to an old firmware and or use a 3rd party flight software and you can by pass geofencing. Big conversations on other boards on how to get around it with ease.
2016-3-23
Use props
leepatto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

So it will allow you to apply older firmware once the new Firmware has been installed?  What version FW would you recommend I go to for the Aircraft and Controller please?, and what 3rd Party Flight Software is recommended for Android?

Thanks
2016-3-23
Use props
fansac530978
lvl.2
Flight distance : 210417 ft
United Kingdom

Hi can you give me an update on this please ? I have been asked to provide some external footage around the stadium by a TV company. I am a professional drone pilot in the UK with current PfCO and PLI.
2019-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules