Salvaging Cuban Trip footage. Huge playback issues.
1811 19 2016-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zane.w.taylor
lvl.1
United States

Hi all,

I've been needing some help.

I shot 3-4 hundred video files using my Osmo during a week long stay in cuba. I am supposed to make many video edits for the University, friends and myself.

Playing back footage on my phone from wifi works great. But the footage from the card is not playing back well. See the pictures.

I noticed that when played forwards frame by frame using quicktime (after the file has been placed onto external drive) that there are uniquely different issues in the footage.
First messed up frame   Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 2.20.08 PM.png
Moving forward 3 frames Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 2.20.59 PM.png
Moving forwards 3 more times, then back 4 frames and this happens. Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 2.20.00 PM.png

There are little easter eggs of bad errors throughout my footage..

What is the fix for this? I have optimized some of the bad footage and cant see any big difference.

I am also getting the following error when trying to convert the above file to ProRes manually on the mac: "<<<< RFCruncherThreadWrapper >>>> RFCruncherThreadProc: RFCruncherThreadProc: RFMediaCruncherTask of VideoSource has returned an error: -8969 (thread:0x10e8ac000).

[14:29:42.054] vtDecompressionDuctDecodeSingleFrame signalled err=-8969 (err) (VTVideoDecoderDecodeFrame returned error) at /SourceCache/CoreMedia_frameworks/CoreMedia-1562.238/Sources/VideoToolbox/VTDecompressionSession.c line 3241
<<<< RFCruncherThreadWrapper >>>> RFCruncherThreadProc: RFCruncherThreadProc: RFMediaCruncherTask of VideoDecompressor has returned an error: -8969 (thread:0x10ea35000).

<<<< RFCruncherThreadWrapper >>>> RFCruncherThreadProc: RFCruncherThreadProc: RFMediaCruncherTask of VideoCompressor has returned an error: -8969 (thread:0x10e9b2000).

<<<< RFCruncherThreadWrapper >>>> RFCruncherThreadProc: RFCruncherThreadProc: RFMediaCruncherTask of MovieDestination has returned an error: -8969 (thread:0x10e92f000).

avconvert completed with error:-8969."

Thank you in advance! I am looking for help however I can get it.
Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 2.20.00 PM.png
2016-3-23
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello!
May I know  the firmware version of your Osmo and the version of your DJI GO App?
What's the settings of your footage?
2016-3-23
Use props
zane.w.taylor
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-24 01:11
Hello!
May I know  the firmware version of your Osmo and the version of your DJI GO App?
What's the ...

Osmo Versions 1.0.1.19
DJI Go v2.4.3
PP: D-Log
UHD/30fps or 1080/120fps

I often used a Rode Smart Lav (adapted) and inserted to the front of the camera.

Would any other information be useful?

I recieved the osmo by mail just 3 days before leaving on the trip.
PS. Just to be clear, as said in the title, I am first and foremost interested in salvaging my existing files. Not fixing for the recording of new ones. I cannot simply go back to Cuba and bring all my friends back for a re-shoot.

2016-3-26
Use props
shabbir.siraj
lvl.1

Palestine

Hey there Zane, you could try a few things to ensure that the files are not corrupted.

1. Playback the files off the memory card itself.
2. Copy to another destination drive to ensure that your current external disk is not faulty.
3. Check out the footage on another system. Try a different media player too.

Have you imported the footage in your editing software yet? I hope you do find a fix for this problem. All the best to you!
2016-3-27
Use props
zane.w.taylor
lvl.1
United States

shabbir.siraj Posted at 2016-3-27 10:13
Hey there Zane, you could try a few things to ensure that the files are not corrupted.

1. Playback ...

Thank you Shabbir, I did all of these things before leaving Cuba on three different computers.

I have imported to FCPX and optimized the footage to Prores and no luck yet..
2016-3-27
Use props
shabbir.siraj
lvl.1

Palestine

zane.w.taylor@o Posted at 2016-3-28 03:02
Thank you Shabbir, I did all of these things before leaving Cuba on three different computers.

I ...

Alrighty then Zane, so now it's time to question the hardware itself. Which memory card are you using? Have you tried to reformat it and record new footage to see if the problem persists?
2016-3-27
Use props
shabbir.siraj
lvl.1

Palestine

I've mentioned the anomaly in your footage to an editor friend and she was asking if you could upload a raw clip online in order to see if anything can be done about it.

I think the support team at DJI would also benefit from obtaining some actual footage.
2016-3-28
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1858852 ft
Greece

zane.w.taylor@o Posted at 2016-3-26 20:11
Osmo Versions 1.0.1.19
DJI Go v2.4.3
PP: D-Log

You need to update to the latest firmware version witch is 1.6
2016-3-28
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you sure it's the footage and not the playback software?
I've seen that pixelated meltdown before and it's a computer/software problem, not the original file.

Please dropbox an original file direct from memory card so we can look at the original recorded file
2016-3-28
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

---Thank you all who are trying to help.

Right, could you please upload the original files?
In addition, your firmware version and DJI GO App version are very old versions, please upgrade them to the latest one for a better using experience. (Download link: http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/info#downloads)
2016-3-28
Use props
zane.w.taylor
lvl.1
United States

I'm thankful for your interest that has poured in lately!

Here is the original file as requested!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/huh32q ... h2DJI_0042.MOV?dl=0

It happened using the 16g card that came with the camera before the trip.
But in Cuba and for this file, I used a brand new, "class 10 - 64G SanDisk Ultra Micro SDXC I" on the trip. I heard 64GB is the largest card for the OSMO.

2016-3-29
Use props
zane.w.taylor
lvl.1
United States

Shabbir, yes I did format the card then tested and retested but no luck. I think this particular file is with the card re-formatted.
2016-3-29
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

zane.w.taylor@o Posted at 2016-3-29 20:40
I'm thankful for your interest that has poured in lately!

Here is the original file as requested!  ...

Is this clip shot in slow mo setting 120 fps?
2016-3-29
Use props
zane.w.taylor
lvl.1
United States

rj74@me.com Posted at 2016-3-29 19:10
Is this clip shot in slow mo setting 120 fps?

Yes that is the case. The issue also appears when shooting UHD30fps. But I have not tried many other settings.
And this just happened while trying to open a file from my external hd in QT. It played on my preview by pressing the space bar, but it would not work in Quicktime? Just another quirk. Maybe it means something, maybe it doesn't.
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 7.25.27 PM.png
2016-3-29
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi,
This problem may be out of the QT itself if you can't open the video, could you please search for any solution from the QT support?
Is there anybody who can help with this issue, please?

The latest firmware version has improved the performance of the Osmo, please try with the new firmware. For any issue, please contact us freely.
Thanks for your support!
2016-3-30
Use props
zane.w.taylor
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-31 01:23
Hi,
This problem may be out of the QT itself if you can't open the video, could you please search fo ...

My apologies, but you are not helping Adela.

I hope the others come back on line for me now that the sample file has been uploaded.

Adela, this would be three computers with no issues handling anything else, having "Quicktime" errors on the same files in the same places reliably. These errors occur in the preview (when you press the space bar on a selected file)
This same problem with quicktime and previews also translates to a problem in Final Cut Pro X with or without conversion to ProRes HQ.

So, should I contact apple support as well? I would not assume so.

I have an editing computer, and it is fine at handling everything. From GH4 Footage to  Inspire 1 footage.

And as stated above and in the title, I am trying to salvage footage.
Upgrading firmware and having a seamless experience moving forward is not even interesting. I bought this product and here's my issue laid out quite clearly above. Can you be of any assistance in salvaging these files or at least diagnosing a little bit of why the errors occurred so that I can better refine my quest.

Thank you.  
2016-3-30
Use props
zane.w.taylor
lvl.1
United States

rj74@me.com Posted at 2016-3-28 13:25
Are you sure it's the footage and not the playback software?
I've seen that pixelated meltdown befor ...

hi! what do you think now that the file is available?
2016-3-30
Use props
BigStuart
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I'm no expert in this, but I opened your file in Adobe Premiere Pro CC on my mac, and the same artefacts are visible.  I also exported it using various different settings, and the pixellation is there in the exported files.  I would say your original files are corrupted and it's definitely not a problem with any playback software.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can comment on whether this kind of thing can be fixed...
2016-3-31
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

The original file does have some problem, just as BigStuart said above.
I'd like to confirm with zane.w.taylor: Do all of your footage have the same problem?
Since all the footage were recorded with the old firmware, the quality might not be as good as the latest firmware. Sorry about that!
2016-3-31
Use props
retret66
lvl.2

United States

here seems to be pointing on an SD card for 75% unplayable files with unknown error..

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/th ... rrupted-files.7510/
2016-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules