Probably the most beautiful imagery out of the p3.
12Next >
11946 79 2016-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Beau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 345092 ft
  • >>>
United States

So many places//good light//color grade.

From the vimeo Post:
"Set in the desert of Dubai, the urban spaces of Hongkong or the stunning landscapes of Hawaii, "AIRTime" is a 4K drone film, which chronicles a mix of travel experiences filmed across 12 countries over 7 months.
Reaching those moments took me 80.000 km of journey.
The film contains several different trips, one around the world, one to South Asia and some short trips around Europe.
cinematography / production I Christian Grewe
music I Ryan Taubert "We All Play A Part" licensed by musicbed.com
destinations I Germany - Hamburg, Berlin, Frankfurt, Neu Schwanstein, Rothenburg, Lüneburger Heide, Netherlands - Amsterdam, Italy - Lake Garda, Greece - Crete, USA - Maui, Canada - Vancouver, Hong Kong, Tokio, Dubai, Vietnam - Halong Bay, Myanmar - Chaungtha & Bagan, Southafrica - Cape Town, Table Mountain & Lions Head
equipment I DJI Phantom 3
special thanks to I Verena Mühlenbeck & Benjamin Semm & Romano Warlo & Viviana and Kosta Mühlenbeck.
All flights were produced as noncommercial filmmaterial and operated with an international insurance. Further on I abided by security agreements.
All rights reserved. I explicitly prohibit using my work without permission."
2016-3-23
Use props
ssaqo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 509816 ft
  • >>>
United States

The best video I've seen so far. Very nice.
2016-3-23
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Brilliant! Well done!
You sure it's a p3 and not a zen x5 ;) fantastic quality.
2016-3-23
Use props
kiwitonita
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85 ft
New Zealand

Inspirational!  His other videos are superb too.  Thanks!
2016-3-24
Use props
Nicola90s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3060869 ft
Russia

Very cool video! Great work!

Have you used only Phantom 3? Great quality! What fps did you used?
2016-3-24
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

absolutely awesome video! i'll probably get it to the main page!
2016-3-24
Use props
Mauro Pagliai
First Officer
Flight distance : 35365551 ft
  • >>>
Italy

That's incredible and inspiring! Outstanding, really one of the best ever seen!
2016-3-24
Use props
-=RaM=-
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Incredible video...Thanks
2016-3-24
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

Just wow!

But then the question that comes to my mind is, who gets to travel to all of those beautiful locations?

I am soooooooooo jealous!
2016-3-24
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

Mauro Pagliai Posted at 2016-3-24 10:32
That's incredible and inspiring! Outstanding, really one of the best ever seen!

Mauro Pagliai IMO your selling yourself short .The video you posted THE ROCK is undoubtedly ONE OF THE BEST.Being able to take a single subject and hold the attention of the viewer through the entire video is quite an achievement.Beau's video is also top notch but doesnt leave me wanting more as yours does often returning to it for the shear pleasure of itto both
2016-3-24
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

Very cool to be able to travel like that...
2016-3-24
Use props
WillBapta
lvl.2

United States

Really at a loss for words. So well done
2016-3-24
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

Bhujang Posted at 2016-3-23 18:10
Brilliant! Well done!
You sure it's a p3 and not a zen x5 ;) fantastic quality.

The title/description  wording suggests that its not his video.
2016-3-24
Use props
Zandy
lvl.1

United States

That is awesome!  Well done!
2016-3-24
Use props
Sky Ground Prod
lvl.1

Italy

Really GREAT VIDEO! Maybe we'll get to work together one day ;)
2016-3-24
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Elmer Fudd Posted at 2016-3-24 15:02
The title/description  wording suggests that its not his video.

hence asking if hes sure its a p3 and not an inspire with a zenmuse x5 ;) The praise went out open to the creator ;)
2016-3-24
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87772 ft

The color is very good, but…

– There's a bunch of aliasing / moiré throughout.

- There appears to be shutter speed issues in some of the shots with any fast moving objects – look at the birds crossing the frame and how staccato they are.

- Any time someone uses that sped up footage effect it makes everything look amateurish; people should avoid that trick at all costs (especially when it's done without over cranking) or use it very sparingly.

- There are a million and one slow dolly moves but little to no actual tracking or pan shots; this gets very tiresome. It needs a bit more variety, especially faster moving shots (and not sped up footage!), to maintain interest.

- There are a million and one versions of the same slow moving horizon shot. As in the previous point more variety would decrease the viewer fatigue here, even the same shot with more depth (passing by objects) versus wide open vistas all. the. time.

And as for narrative arc, the video is extremely boring. It's basically a demo reel. So while all the grading is impressive and the locales are pretty, it just goes to show you that 90% of interest is in subject matter.

2016-3-24
Use props
Beau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 345092 ft
  • >>>
United States

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-3-24 09:25

I've always thought that too about speed ramping clips, until I saw this one. And I kind of liked the choppy crow, regardless of knowing he could have used an ND and lower shutter speed.
2016-3-24
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.2

Beau Posted at 2016-3-25 03:24
I've always thought that too about speed ramping clips, until I saw this one. And I kind of liked  ...

I don't mind ramping if it's done sparingly, but that's not the case here. As for the birds, I can take it or leave it, but there are other parts (particularly the motorcycle down shot) where it's incredibly distracting.
2016-3-24
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

Absolutely amazing video!!! I need to get out more!
2016-3-24
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4668169 ft

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-3-25 00:25

Your own videos must be more than perfect if you really ment your post serious...
Criticism is always an easy job and is able to question even the greatest creation. Luckily everyone can decide on his own. Can you give a proof of doing better?
I like the video very much! Congratulations to the creator!
2016-3-24
Use props
Rebel Gal
lvl.2

United States

Beautiful scenery...thank you for sharing   
2016-3-24
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.2

vr-pilot Posted at 2016-3-25 05:44
Your own videos must be more than perfect if you really ment your post serious...
Criticism is al ...

Really? This tired argument? When you criticize a movie, is it because you've made a film already? When you criticize a book, is that only after you've written some? Do you not criticize food because you're not able to cook a particular dish or visual art because you can't paint or a fireworks display because you've never put on a fireworks show?

Criticism is not inherently negative. In fact most people in creative fields embrace and appreciate good criticism because the dialog that results can help all parties improve. Not only do you get feedback, but proper criticism is a back and forth that helps to explain creative choices and work out what does and does not work on BOTH sides. It also helps people reading the discussion so that they can learn what works, what doesn't, and why people make certain decisions about their creative process. Being able to articulate why you like or do not like something is key in being able to improve your own work.

Criticism is only bad when unhelpful criticism is offered up, like "This sucks," or "Learn to fly." Basically anything without reasoning behind it. Note that I actually offered up reasons why scenes did not work and at no point did I disparage the actual person; my thoughts were strictly focused on the output.

You know what else is bad? Mindlessly good feedback like "This is great!" or "Good job!" Criticism also encompasses positive feedback provided you actually explain what's good about something. Note that I also included this by saying that the color grading was quite good, and that wasn't what I had an issue with.

This is called adult discussion. Please join us.
PS - It's interesting that you refer to criticism as "easy". Good criticism is in fact quite difficult, leading me to wonder what exactly you think criticism encompasses and if you're conflating it with being insulting.
2016-3-24
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft

vr-pilot Posted at 2016-3-25 05:44
Criticism is al ...

To be a food critic, you do not need to be a Michelin three star chef, a film critic does not need to be an Oscar winning director, a literary critic does not need to be a bestselling author, get the point or need I go on?

I agree with much of the criticism that you are criticizing. There are a lot of beautiful scenes in this video and the exposure and color grading are well done. Some of the editing is very nice while other effects are over done. The video is all over the place with no real theme and it is too long. Lost my interest after about two minutes.

In fact, with the explosion of drones I think all aerial videos are losing their novelty and charm really fast. I am trying to come up with ways of mixing aerial with other video to keep things more interesting.
2016-3-24
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-3-25 06:00
Really? This tired argument? When you criticize a movie, is it because you've made a film already?  ...

I actually must say that the color (grading), that you call "very good", is IMO not so spectacular, because it is just a more neutralized imaging (which I prefer by the way, too. But it could not be called "something special").
Then you criticize 6 points in a row:
aliasing "throughout", shutter speed issues, amateurish speed ups, missing variety in moves, viewer fatigue caused by repeating shots, narrative arc extremely boring.
In my words you shoot one big cannon ball after the other on this creation, while when being criticized for that you point out that you would also "provide positive feedback to explain what is good about something".
Sorry, but you smashed a sledgehammer on the creators technical understanding, editing skills and dramaturgic knowledge. Which - in this case - equals more a total devastating judgment.
Constructive criticism needs some constructive components, otherwise it is just discouraging "boy, you missed your vocation"...
I like the video, it might not be perfect in all cinematic aspects, but it shows how beautiful our world is and how nicely this can be shown through drone flights.
BTW, I do expect the creator himself being highly professional, so that he knows about some imperfections inside his movie. But pragmatism should also be used in filmmaking as a good time and money saver.
2016-3-24
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.2
United States

vr-pilot Posted at 2016-3-25 06:45
I actually must say that the color (grading), that you call "very good", is IMO not so spectacular ...

I fail to see what's wrong with criticizing "six things in a row". They are points which I stand by because I find them to be aspects of the video that don't fully work. They are in no way "destroying" or taking a sledgehammer to the video OR the person creating it. The only person who'd complain about that is someone who cannot separate themselves from their work enough to discuss it.  

If you or anyone else would like to discuss what I said as an adult, please do so by addressing my points instead of saying things like "stop being so negative". I'm not being negative. I'm pointing out what I found to be problematic (repetitiveness, lack of variety) and why it's a problem (lack of maintaining viewer interest).

I'm guessing you wouldn't have a problem if I had said six mindlessly positive things in a row, despite the fact that that would've been horribly uninformative. If you're so positive that the points I bring up are inaccurate, instead of being so defensive you should be refuting those ideas. I welcome that, in fact, because maybe I'm missing something that other people are getting (which, again, is why criticism is so useful – it helps people on both sides understand why something's working and things that are being missed).

And finally, anyone that's been in any creative field even briefly knows that what I posted is hardly scathing criticism. Filmmakers are especially known to be particularly brutal on each other; what I said could be barely construed as mild discontent with the piece.

2016-3-24
Use props
bbowler
lvl.2
Flight distance : 177516 ft
United States

Well done! Amazing!
2016-3-24
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4

O.K. my friend. Let me tell you: I am in the filmmaking business for over 25 years now. I can very well distinguish between justified and unjustified criticism.
Why? Because unjustified criticism is always used by people in the situation when they sould actually admit their creative defeat. Out of economic (understandable) reasons they are unable to do so. So they prefer to dismantle what they have just seen (although they were actually impressed (and maybe even shocked, jealous etc.)).
By what you write I assume that you are also working in the film industry. I just looked at the video we discuss here a second time. This video:
Is it really necessary to downgrade this piece in such a harsh way? It is a professional movie. (Full stop!)
I agree with you that among movie makers criticism is some kind of a good way to communicate "for the better". But by saying "your technical understanding seems to bad, editing skills are below basic and your dramaturgic knowledge is on a first grade pupil's level" you very soon won't have much friends among your kind, unless you are a professional film critic.

2016-3-24
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-3-25 06:51
I fail to see what's wrong with criticizing "six things in a row". They are points which I stand by ...

O.K. my friend. Let me tell you: I am in the filmmaking business for over 25 years now. I can very well distinguish between justified and unjustified criticism.
Why? Because unjustified criticism is always used by people in the situation when they should actually admit their creative defeat. Out of economic (understandable) reasons they are unable to do so. So they prefer to dismantle what they have just seen (although they were actually impressed (and maybe even shocked, jealous etc.)).
By what you write I assume that you are also working in the film industry. I just looked at the video we discuss here a second time. This video:
Is it really necessary to downgrade this piece in such a harsh way? It is a professional movie. (Full stop!)
I agree with you that among movie makers criticism is some kind of a good way to communicate "for the better". But by saying "your technical understanding seems to be bad, your editing skills are below basic and your dramaturgic knowledge is on a first grade pupil's level" you very soon won't have much friends among your kind, unless you are a professional film critic.
2016-3-24
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.2

vr-pilot Posted at 2016-3-24 18:33
O.K. my friend. Let me tell you: I am in the filmmaking business for over 25 years now. I can very w ...

I didn't say any of that. Please stop putting words in my mouth. What I said is clear for anyone to read. If you find it incorrect or you disagree with it, address the points directly rather than issuing ad hominem and straw man attacks.

Adults have conversations where you discuss points and counter-points productively. For example, I've asked you multiple times now to explain why my rationale is wrong because I am more than willing to admit that I am looking at this the wrong way. Instead, what you are doing is crashing any potential conversation into the wall because of some randomly perceived feeling of insult that doesn't exist. Please grow up and keep the conversation on topic.
2016-3-24
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-3-25 07:43
I didn't say any of that. Please stop putting words in my mouth. What I said is clear for anyone to ...

Just to remind you of what you wrote:
(Quote)

- There appears to be shutter speed issues in some of the shots with any fast moving objects – look at the birds crossing the frame and how staccato they are.

- Any time someone uses that sped up footage effect it makes everything look amateurish; people should avoid that trick at all costs (especially when it's done without over cranking) or use it very sparingly.

- There are a million and one slow dolly moves but little to no actual tracking or pan shots; this gets very tiresome. It needs a bit more variety, especially faster moving shots (and not sped up footage!), to maintain interest.

- There are a million and one versions of the same slow moving horizon shot. As in the previous point more variety would decrease the viewer fatigue here, even the same shot with more depth (passing by objects) versus wide open vistas all. the. time.

And as for narrative arc, the video is extremely boring. It's basically a demo reel. So while all the grading is impressive and the locales are pretty, it just goes to show you that 90% of interest is in subject matter.
(Quote end)
IMO it is harsh and overdone. I can enjoy watching this video many times. I am a lucky man!
Good luck to you!
2016-3-24
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.2

vr-pilot Posted at 2016-3-25 08:03
Just to remind you of what you wrote:
(Quote)

Thank you for re-iterating. If you think I was unfair or "hash", please point out where I was inaccurate, mean spirited, or attacked the creator of the video. If you think my criticism is unfair, please refute the points with criticisms of your own.

I've asked you to directly address what I said (and in fact repeatedly welcomed your input into why my observations are faulty), and yet you keep evading. I've welcomed open conversation multiple times and the only thing you can respond with is "You're mean," like a child would. I highly, HIGHLY suggest you take any kind of creative course – writing, photography, cinematography, anything – so you can learn to discuss and debate critically while maintaining respect.

It's telling that you think I derive no enjoyment out of this video. I in fact think the locales are quite beautiful and many of the shots I would be lucky to shoot myself. I also think it can be improved, and I stated what I thought could be better. But clearly in your world, I can either only love it with no reservation, or hate it because there were parts I didn't think were excellent. Here's a hint: things are rarely black and white, we learn from each other by discussing ideas critically, and criticism of work is not criticism of the individual who created it.
2016-3-24
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-3-25 03:24
Thank you for re-iterating. If you think I was unfair or "hash", please point out where I was inacc ...

While you guys disagree how would you rate the video THE ROCK against the video being discussed
2016-3-25
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-3-25 11:24
Thank you for re-iterating. If you think I was unfair or "hash", please point out where I was inacc ...

Try to see and understand the beauty of it:

I am not going into detail again. I think your judgement is too harsh und overdone in every point. This guy is simply not "amateurish".
Even saying (quote) "And as for narrative arc, the video is extremely boring. It's basically a demo reel. So while all the grading is impressive and the locales are pretty, it just goes to show you that 90% of interest is in subject matter." (end quote) is IMO wrong, because there is a narrative arc, which is simplified "around the world from dawn to dusk". O.K. "from dawn to dusk" is not a totally new idea, but this could also be said about Vivaldi's "Four Seasons". Something already known but put into scene masterfully.
And this is how I would rate this video:  masterfully.
2016-3-25
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4

pi-inthesky@hot Posted at 2016-3-25 17:50
While you guys disagree how would you rate the video THE ROCK against the video being discussed

Ah, good point. The 5 minute video THE ROCK is a good example for the combination of "from dawn to dusk" with "four seasons".
It starts with a 1 minute historic entry and is than able to keep the viewer looking amazed/interested for the next 4 minutes at the same object. But always from differing persepctives/moves at different times of day and in different "seasons".

"AIR Time" is IMO more a mood video while "THE ROCK" is more of the clip kind. They are quite different but both good in their own ways. A lot of passion went into beautiful results and this is an honorable thing.
2016-3-25
Use props
Rob_stal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1243038 ft
Australia

Absolutely stunning, well done!
You've got a good eye, that must have been an amazing trip.
Thanks for sharing
2016-3-25
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.2

vr-pilot Posted at 2016-3-25 18:05
Try to see and understand the beauty of it:

I am not going into detail ...

You say it's harsh and overdone, yet you can't point out why it's harsh and overdone? I'm asking you like an adult to explain why so that we can discuss it. Perhaps my criticism IS too harsh. Well tell me why so I can understand what your position is. What's so hard to understand about explaining yourself? Would you like it if I said "You're a goddamn moron," and then when you asked me why, I said, "Because you're a moron!" Because that's basically what you're doing.

For example, you FINALLY got around to explaining something by saying that there is a narrative arc: dawn to dusk. Guess what? I totally missed that. You're entirely correct. That's a totally valid idea for driving a video forward (narrative arcs don't have to be in depth plots). Unfortunately for me the narrative is completely crushed under the other things I mentioned; since it moves so slow and the speed ramps are so distracting, it feels very lethargic, with the occasional speed up to make up for it (but it doesn't work because it's very gimmicky and doesn't "reveal" anything at the finish of the ramp, which is what ramps are usually employed for). It makes sitting through the entirety of the video a chore.

See? Was that so difficult? When you stop being defensive things move forward. I'm not trying to convince you that the video is crap, I'm trying to have you explain why you think it's good so I can understand someone else's position and learn from it.  Instead, you take everything as a personal affront to your sensibilities. Give it a rest.

2016-3-25
Use props
Mauro Pagliai
First Officer
Flight distance : 35365551 ft
  • >>>
Italy

pi-inthesky@hot Posted at 2016-3-24 14:07
Mauro Pagliai IMO your selling yourself short .The video you posted THE ROCK is undoubtedly ONE OF ...

Thanks you so much!   Videos that i've saw  in this forum have been inspiring for me. So I always watch them with pleasure
PS: sorry for my bad english, I think I've failed some conjugation
2016-3-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great job, looking forward to more.
2016-3-25
Use props
CFM01