Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Probably the most beautiful imagery out of the p3.
11783 79 2016-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lido_bmt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 87772 ft

pi-inthesky@hot Posted at 2016-3-25 17:50
While you guys disagree how would you rate the video THE ROCK against the video being discussed

To me they suffer from very similar issues. While the shots are undoubtedly of some very beautiful locations, they suffer from receptiveness, both in shot design, shot blocking, and camera movement. Case in point: you can scrub through both videos and randomly land at various spots, and the shots will all look very similar.

This is why aerial-only videos are usually incredibly boring. Aerial shots are great for punching up video, but by themselves they need far more than just pretty scenery to stand out; they need a good narrative and a clearly defined subject to really get the job done. Using aerial shots only in this fashion is very, very difficult.

For an example of how cutting in aerial footage can accentuate a subject, see this previous post. It's still a bit too aerial shot heavy, but it's an improvement.
2016-3-26
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Great video!

Dave
2016-3-31
Use props
Anderjon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-3-24 23:00
Really? This tired argument? When you criticize a movie, is it because you've made a film already?  ...

A very good description of what it is to critique something, however you missed one of the most important aspects: balance.

In order for critisism to carry weight it must encompass the work as a whole, not single the elements out that are construed as lacking. your comments lose impact when you focus purely on the negative (and no, just adding a vaguely positive one liner at the start isn't enough) you show not the shortcomings of the piece, but your own shortcomings in your ability to interpret all its facets, thereby diminishing the intent of your comments.

You cannot argue that you're providing justified and "adult" feedback when it focuses entirely on the negative. By doing so you display a lack of understanding of how feedback is most effective which in turn leads one to question the validity of your comments as a whole.
2016-4-1
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.3

Anderjon Posted at 2016-4-1 17:32
A very good description of what it is to critique something, however you missed one of the most im ...

If you believe this, you've never been critiqued, and you have no idea what a critique is. For a good critique to occur, you must point out very specific things that you think are the problem, otherwise you are of no help to anyone.

Critiques can be as gentle or as brutal as the person wants them to be, but it has NO BEARING on being "rude" or "inconsiderate". Why? Because the thing being critiqued isn't a critique of the creator. The only time something a critique is wrong or rude is when the critique makes statements that cannot be defended. "THIS SUCKS!" is a rude critique.  "This is great!" is also a poor critique.

"This sucks because x is a poor implementation of y and a is a poor choice of subject matter in this situation." That's not a poor critique because it explains exactly what the person felt was good or bad and it gives the creator (or others) a chance to explain their rationale for their choices, leading to a back and forth discussion and the trading of ideas, opinions, and positions on what works and what doesn't. To you it may sound abrasive, but the point remains, and if you feel strongly about it, you should counter the point with examples of your own, not attack the way it was presented. This is the heart of a critique - to trade discussion on the work, not have metadiscussions on talking about it. Would you learn anything if all you received from people were these two variations on feedback?

When you see an awful art installation, do you focus on balance even though there is little to redeem it? At what point is that balance? What if your words become completely unfocused because you're trying to salvage a few "good" points because you think you'll hurt someone's feelings? This is an example of a very poor critique, because you can't even explain yourself, and you're placing feelings in front of a deconstruction of something that needs to be discussed with honesty. You are actually hurting the creator this way, because you're saying certain things are pretty good when they're actually not, and you're only saying that because you want to "be nice". Now the creator is going to use those specific techniques and procedures in the future because they think it was effective.

The hilarious thing about anyone complaining about my points is that they think I was being rude, when I was in fact being the exact opposite (and if you've ever been critiqued at all for your work, I wasn't even close to brutal!). The way to "be nice" in a critique is to be fully honest and fair enough that someone can respond with counterpoints – if you feel so strongly that I was mean or disrespectful, then you should be able to easily counter my points by showing me where they were incorrect. That's the way to respect the creator AND the work. It's something that most people here just simply do not understand (maybe because a lot of Phantom flyers have not been exposed to these types of discussions in a creative field). If you wanted a cheerleading squad, go find some yes men.

2016-4-1
Use props
Anderjon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-4-1 18:14
If you believe this, you've never been critiqued, and you have no idea what a critique is. For a go ...

I think someone has too much time on their hands and an overinflated sense of themselves.
2016-4-1
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.3

Anderjon Posted at 2016-4-2 05:45
I think someone has too much time on their hands and an overinflated sense of themselves.

Once again, if you disagree with what I have to say about the video I more than welcome your counter points. Instead you'd rather attack me personally, even though nothing I've said is even remotely about inflating my ego.

You may want to look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
2016-4-1
Use props
ARM-001
lvl.4
United Kingdom

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-4-2 00:42
Once again, if you disagree with what I have to say about the video I more than welcome your count ...

Wikipedia: LMAO. Talk about undermining your own argument. Might as well cite YouTube comments as your source my friend, they'd be more accurate.
2016-4-2
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.3
United States

ARM-001 Posted at 2016-4-2 16:35
Wikipedia: LMAO. Talk about undermining your own argument. Might as well cite YouTube comments as  ...

Then you don't know how to use Wikipedia. You don't use it as a direct source, you use Wikipedia to look at the sources cited at the bottom of the page, since it makes it an easy way to gather multiple citations in one place and verify their veracity. Here's one, if you missed it, from the University of Winnipeg Department of Philosophy about the roots of an Ad Hominem fallacy: http://www.dougwalton.ca/papers%20in%20pdf/01roots.pdf

Of course if you had actually done that, you would know you're participating in the same ad hominem attack with a bit of straw man and genetic fallacy tossed in there. Try addressing my points (which still stand, even if the entire Wikipedia was fake), not the meta.
2016-4-2
Use props
wayne.long
lvl.1

United States

Great video, super well done!!!!  Going on a motorcycle trip through western USA, this gives me some great ideas for my filming.
2016-4-2
Use props
ARM-001
lvl.4
United Kingdom

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-4-2 17:08
Then you don't know how to use Wikipedia. You don't use it as a direct source, you use Wikipedia to ...

Move on friend, everyone's lost interest in this.
2016-4-2
Use props
classic2003
lvl.3
Flight distance : 632769 ft
Canada

Wow that is beautiful
2016-4-2
Use props
Sky Media Drone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 469649 ft
  • >>>
Colombia

Awesome video..!!
2016-4-2
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.3

ARM-001 Posted at 2016-4-3 03:19
Move on friend, everyone's lost interest in this.

Then why do you and others keep replying? I haven't made any new posts in this thread except to reply to people like you who keep dragging it back up but adding zero to the discussion. The irony is off the charts.
2016-4-2
Use props
Jason WAI
First Officer
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

awesome!  
2016-4-5
Use props
paulykins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2538474 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

very very nice, quite inspiring
2016-4-7
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Excellent video, it makes you want to see more!!

Thank you

Rich
2016-4-8
Use props
nexus66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 350778 ft
United States

Nice - nicer if you compiled a film with a story
2016-4-11
Use props
nexus66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 350778 ft
United States

Nice - you should make a story - dropping just footage is nice but a story will make it great
2016-4-11
Use props
Noodle
lvl.1

Australia

Truly professional work.

17 countries in this one video? Man he must be quite a rich guy to travel so much to shoot all these video.
2016-4-11
Use props
thomas.gorski
lvl.1

Israel

Great footage and great editing!
2016-4-14
Use props
waltp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3891 ft
  • >>>
United States

Красивый.  You can almost hear Stalin's echo.  What video editor?  Thank you. for sharing.
2016-4-15
Use props
fisteres169
lvl.1
Flight distance : 483937 ft
United States

One day I will have the time to travel like you great job
2016-4-16
Use props
Photography Stu
lvl.1

Australia

Some beautiful shots.
2016-4-16
Use props
m_fraedrich
lvl.1

Incredible video...Thanks
2016-4-16
Use props
dacofty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

pi-inthesky@hot Posted at 2016-3-25 05:50
While you guys disagree how would you rate the video THE ROCK against the video being discussed

id rate the Rock well above the clip in question
2016-4-17
Use props
PinkBlue
lvl.1

Thailand

Very nice indeed
2016-4-17
Use props
pi-inthesky
First Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

dacofty Posted at 2016-4-17 13:41
id rate the Rock well above the clip in question

For me its a one horse race it has every thing to keep the viewers attention.
2016-4-17
Use props
scottylauman
New

Amazing!
2016-4-18
Use props
gioffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260381 ft
Italy

I like this video
2016-4-30
Use props
reinier1971
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1679724 ft
Netherlands

Keep on the good working........
What a beatyfull movie.
2016-4-30
Use props
oleg.covian
lvl.1

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-3-25 06:00
Really? This tired argument? When you criticize a movie, is it because you've made a film already?  ...

Your criticism is very constructive and I see your point, maybe less than you cause you must have a real trained eye. But I'm really curious to see your work. You are very talented in reviewing,  like to see your work applied. Please show us .
2016-5-4
Use props
mrbillgill1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 717100 ft
United Kingdom

haha. It is, at the end of the day, a string of well executed, nicely exposed shots - there's no real narrative structure. That shouldn't take away from the very high cinematic and piloting skills on display.

my 02
2016-5-4
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.3
United States

oleg.covian Posted at 2016-5-4 06:36
Your criticism is very constructive and I see your point, maybe less than you cause you must have  ...

I don't have really any footage available publicly, as I don't shoot aerials for personal enjoyment unfortunately.
2016-5-10
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.3

mrbillgill1 Posted at 2016-5-5 05:28
haha. It is, at the end of the day, a string of well executed, nicely exposed shots - there's no rea ...

Oh I agree. Those shots are great. Maintaining interest requires a bit more though.
2016-5-10
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I've watched the three videos posted, and have to say that they hold my interest all the way through, something that is hard to do, even when watching each for the third time.  Excellent!
2016-5-10
Use props
jinonmad
lvl.1

Israel

The best Air video i hv ever seen...
2016-5-14
Use props
jinonmad
lvl.1

Israel

The best air video i hv ever seen!!