Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
X5R Video "The West in Winter". Filmed Entirely with the X5R.
123Next >
23566 99 2016-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scooterlam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4626 ft

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-26 14:06
WOW, incredible Ian, thank you so much for your incredible work.
And for those who want a chance to  ...

How much stock do you have? I plan to order Tuesday.
2016-3-26
Use props
Alastair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

Ian WOW!!!  Just lovely!  Makes me want to order one.  Anybody have an extra 5K they don't need?
2016-3-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

scooterlam Posted at 2016-3-27 02:22
How much stock do you have? I plan to order Tuesday.

I'm sorry, I do not know, hopefully there will still be stock when you are ready to order next week.
2016-3-26
Use props
Ian Cresswell
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2448842 ft
  • >>>
United States

All, I finally got a chance to upload an example DNG sequence. This is a 6 second DNG sequence shot at Castle Valley. It's a 1.7GB zip file, and will unzip to almost 3GB. No idea how long this will remain available on my server, may try to add a dropbox link at some point here.  Bear in mind, at a 1/80 shutter [I]there is some motion blur in the frames[/I]. This is intentional because image sequences, when played as video, are more pleasing with a touch of motion blur (thus the typical 180 degree shutter rule). So, if you look at individual frames one by one they're not going to be as sharp as a normal still image shot with a higher shutter speed. Also, if you're importing to premiere, make sure premiere recognizes the sequence as 29.97, not 23.98. It was shot 29.97 but every now and then Premiere doesn't import it correctly. Just go to conform and manually set the interpret rate.

Here ya go : www.iancresswell.com/downloads/x5r/X5RDNGCastleValley.zip
2016-3-26
Use props
martinkirikal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68471 ft
Estonia

How long can you record on the 512SSD? These are expensive
2016-3-27
Use props
gybo102
First Officer
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

The above question is a good one. And could you give us a heads up of all the resolutions and frame rates. Im assuming its all the same as the X5? And nothing beyond 60fps correct? TY
2016-3-27
Use props
Rob W
Captain
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Wonderful shots, Ian! You must have had a wonderful trip, flying and shooting all those beautiful scenes!

Thank you for giving us your view of the X5R, and how you worked with it. I've been on and off about upgrading my S900 with Lightbridge 2 and BMPCC for shooting RAW, but the cost of doing that will be about equal to the X5R. I've made up my mind
2016-3-27
Use props
Donnie
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

scooterlam Posted at 2016-3-25 22:02
Thats it I'm buying. Thank you this is all I needed.

Scooterlam, as soon as I saw how well the video looked , I thought of You, you have been pulling your hair out waiting,  Just pull the trigger and get it, you cansell something later on.  Life is short .  You will do amazing things with it .  Jim Hare, Harb ,  Microcyb must get one as wel,l also some others deseve this for themselves as well.  Me on the other hand, need to walk before I can run .

Also Ian, well done, there are some really talented people on this forum, just WOW !

Please post some of your work also/

Have Fun- donnie

2016-3-27
Use props
scooterlam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4626 ft

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-27 22:36
Scooterlam, as soon as I saw how well the video looked , I thought of You, you have been pulli ...

Hey Donnie - Thanks and I completely agree. I'll be ordering on Tuesday and cannot wait to create and share with the community as well.
2016-3-27
Use props
vincentlublink
First Officer
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ian Cresswell Posted at 2016-3-24 07:07
Thanks. Yes, everything shot 3840x2160 30fps. Part of the fluidity may arise from the fact that I us ...

hi, first of, great stuf and good info, keep up the good work!, what ND did you use?, ND 8 Nd16?

thanks in advance!

Vincent
2016-3-28
Use props
MartinK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68471 ft
Estonia

Ian Cresswell Posted at 2016-3-27 09:42
All, I finally got a chance to upload an example DNG sequence. This is a 6 second DNG sequence shot  ...

Hi Ian,

Did you have multiple SSD´s? If the 6 second files are 3 GB it can be quite hard to manage all that data. How long was your RAW unedited material combined?

Br
Martin
2016-3-28
Use props
matimolfino
lvl.1

Chile

How did you put the colors?
2016-3-28
Use props
ge0se
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3184721 ft
United States

Ian Cresswell Posted at 2016-3-27 14:42
All, I finally got a chance to upload an example DNG sequence. This is a 6 second DNG sequence shot  ...

Meant to say it earlier but forum wouldn't allow me to log in for some reason - Thank you very much for the upload!

Played with it a little and liked a lot possibilities this camera offers. Just cannot wait when it arrives so I can take it for a spin myself!
2016-3-28
Use props
Ian Cresswell
Second Officer
  • >>>

Thanks again everyone for the kind comments.

RichJ53- "One question, did you get the GL658C remotes with your new Inspire??"  -I used my original Inspire V1 and controller for this trip.

martinkirikal- "How long can you record on the 512SSD?" -about 30 minutes

Vincent- I used an ND .6, ND .9 and ND 1.2. For daylight most often I used the ND 1.2

MartinK- I only have 1 512GB SSD. I transferred media every night. We shot about 2.5TB of footage over the course of the trip.

matimolfino- watch this video for more info:

ge0se- You're welcome

DroneSpeed- "Have you considered making the same trip with a Hubsan?"  LMAO this made me laugh

2016-3-29
Use props
tucci
lvl.3
Flight distance : 540331 ft
United States

ge0se Posted at 2016-3-25 11:01
Ian, thanks for even consdering to share a clip. Really all we need is a clip or two, 5 to 10 frame ...

Agreed, even a second or two of footage as opposed to a whole sequence would be very helpful!
2016-3-29
Use props
Flymetothemoon
lvl.1
United States

Beautiful shots Ian, thanks for sharin' !

I especially liked the color in the forest scenes.

Def going pick one up over here.

I hope DJI offers the upgraded motors for the original Inspire eventually.
2016-3-29
Use props
dv613
lvl.1

United States

Hi Ian,

Amazing footage! Was on the fence as I was just figuring out the Inspire 1 PRO but it seems this is leaps and bounds over the PRO. My order went in this morning and look forward to this new platform. Anyone need an Inspire 1 PRO with Olympus 12mm lens? In absolutely new condition! dv613@yahoo.com
2016-3-29
Use props
Ulysse
First Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

A true piece of Art, from the first to the last second... a delight for the eyes and the ears.
2016-3-29
Use props
raphael.dahan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18275925 ft
  • >>>
France

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-25 13:59
That is some fantastic work. Watching this is so awesome and gives ideas on how to film correctly. T ...

Sorry but I can't find the cinelight software for Mac , where can I get it from?
Thanks in advance.
2016-3-30
Use props
Ulysse
First Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

raphael.dahan@d Posted at 2016-3-30 15:08
Sorry but I can't find the cinelight software for Mac , where can I get it from?
Thanks in advance ...

On the X5 download page
2016-3-30
Use props
steve
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17269813 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sweet.

Was that an Edelkrone I heard whirring in the background?

After the Inspire that is my next most used piece of equipment.
2016-4-2
Use props
fulllockmedia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28547 ft
  • >>>

Your video is gorgeous man, exceptional work.  I was hoping you may be able to help some of us who are having problems with the SSD reader?
http://forum.dji.com/thread-47560-1-1.html
it seems like there is consistent issues either mounting the SSD, getting Cinelight to work as well as it seemed to on your BTS.  It makes me question whether or not the SSD is actually recording as it is supposed to.

2016-4-6
Use props
Ian Cresswell
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fulllockmedia Posted at 2016-4-6 22:16
Your video is gorgeous man, exceptional work.  I was hoping you may be able to help some of us who a ...

Thanks man.

So from what I've heard there's a combination of issues:
1. Apple released an update that messed with USB3.0 drivers. This may be the source of the SSD mounting issues. I haven't updated my macbook pro in a few months so I've been immune to this issue so far.
2. I had an earlier version of cinelight with less GPU integration. So while the preview pane was slower, the overall program was snappier because apparently there may be an issue with the newer version of cinelight and its GPU acceleration. The trick is, with this newer version of CineLight you have to have an update that Apple released recently that addresses how it handles RAW files, otherwise CineLight will be super slow. But then, if you update, you'll probably have those issues with the USB3.0 drivers mentioned above. It's kind of a catch22 right now unfortunately.

I haven't updated my mac or CineLight, since they were both working just fine for me and still are. But it seems a fully updated mac, and fully updated cinelight both have some issues right now. I hope DJI is able to sort it out very quickly. In the meantime, I've heard to make sure your SSD reader and card are plugged in before you turn your computer on. Seems this is one of the only ways to get the card to read as of right now.
2016-4-6
Use props
fulllockmedia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28547 ft
  • >>>

You are a scholar and a saint.  Thanks for the thorough breakdown.
Updated Mac OS on both a new iMac and MacBook Pro.  The reader shows up and works in Cinelight on the iMac.  The MacBook Pro needed a restart (plugged in before turning it on) and it works in Cinelight now.
Running into a few other inconsistencies and issues we are working over today in the office.  If we run into other issues do you mind if I message you?  the folks on support at DJI phone so far seem to not really be in the know about the X5R.
And thanks again for being so helpful.
2016-4-6
Use props
contact
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great job from FlyHighUSA here in KY
2016-4-6
Use props
contact
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great job!!!
2016-4-6
Use props
jwolff
Flight distance : 911532 ft

Amazing work - thanks for all your efforts!
2016-4-7
Use props
rbh-andy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7489642 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Awsome! Really good work! Thanks for share!
2016-4-7
Use props
talk2t_c
Second Officer

France

Great work - something to 'aspire' to.  Also like the fact you didn't say 'd' word.
Just looked at it - available in France for 6,999 euros yet you only get one battery with it.  

2016-4-8
Use props
Wonderful work, absolutely beautiful as only the American West can be.
2016-4-8
Use props
mickdiv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4991220 ft
  • >>>
Zimbabwe

Outstanding
2016-4-8
Use props
Ian, you should get a commission cause after watching your videos I purchased today. I've been kicking it around for several months and have generally been watching the technology progress for a few years, it's finally at a place that I like. Thanks again.
2016-4-8
Use props
christshea
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2227992 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

Yeah. Completely epic! Can't wait to watch the BTS when my kids take a nap today.
2016-4-8
Use props
Paniza
First Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

Triple cheers to you Ian! 1 for the Footage, 2 for the matching audio, 3 for the guts of pushing limits.

I'm a nature lover myself and got my eyes very busy with the texture of the footage.

Thanks for sharing.

2016-4-9
Use props
volare film
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251499 ft
Italy

Ian Cresswell Posted at 2016-4-6 17:24
Thanks man.

So from what I've heard there's a combination of issues:

Hi Ian just a question.
Can you set the bitrate from the app?
Thanks
2016-4-10
Use props
Ian Cresswell
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for all the kind comments ya'll. Really appreciate it !
2016-4-10
Use props
Ian Cresswell
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

volare film Posted at 2016-4-10 18:28
Hi Ian just a question.
Can you set the bitrate from the app?
Thanks

No you cannot manually choose a bitrate. For both RAW and H.264 the bitrate for each resolution is already set and is not adjustable. For H.264 the max bitrate is 60mbps. For RAW the bitrate is an average of 1.7gbps up to (I think) 2.4gbps.
2016-4-10
Use props
jveneno7
New

United States

Stunning ! And very professional
2016-4-11
Use props
scottylauman
New

Ian Cresswell Posted at 2016-3-24 13:07
Thanks. Yes, everything shot 3840x2160 30fps. Part of the fluidity may arise from the fact that I us ...

so how would I apply that magnificent color grade to my videos? what software does that?
2016-4-18
Use props
windwardbound
lvl.1

All that jazz with regards to compression notwithstanding, it is was it is, I wanted to let you know that I am totally impressed with the results!  We're all limited in some ways with the shortcomings in UHD video downloaded via the internet but I saw nothing that did anything but make my thumbs "HARD", hard as a rock!  Spectacular!  I fly an Inspire 1 Pro, X5 and I can't wait until I can place my order to upgrade my camera to the X5R.  A serious impression on this viewer!  Is there anyway to download a copy of the UHD content or obtain a copy any other way, that will really do the piece justice?  Tried downloading via Vimeo, poor results.  My email is part of my profile I believe.  Just one more thing, can bring my new X5R and come on the next trip?  Think I'm kidding!
2016-4-18
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules