Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
X5R Video "The West in Winter". Filmed Entirely with the X5R.
23568 99 2016-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
king57
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1308953 ft
China

hi, lan

would u tell me which software you use to grade the color, the PR of DAVINCI 12, it looks very sharp and clear
2016-4-25
Use props
Ian Cresswell
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2448842 ft
  • >>>

king57 Posted at 2016-4-26 07:25
hi, lan

would u tell me which software you use to grade the color, the PR of DAVINCI 12, it looks v ...

I use Lumetri plugin in Adobe Premiere Pro CC with a film emulation LUT and some basic adjustments.
2016-4-25
Use props
Nes
lvl.4

United States

Hey Ian -

Just sent you a message through Vimeo.
2016-4-25
Use props
david.p.mann
Captain
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ian -

Absolutely awe inspiring footage, editing, color grading and background music choice! Outstanding! I am also very impressed with what you were able to capture/edit just hand-holding the camera and either running around like a crazy person (with a plan) or holding it outside a moving car window (or sitting on top of a moving car). I am deeply disappointed in how restricted aerial videographers now are in our country's national park system. What's the point of having an aerial video platform if you are not allowed to fly it!??  But you dealt with those restrictions in the most amazing way.  Great job!
2016-4-26
Use props
eespence2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 919 ft
  • >>>
United States

I now have a great feeling, never been out that way now I have to see it for my self, thank you
2016-4-30
Use props
g.alesbajc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 215289 ft
  • >>>
Slovenia

Ian ma you tell me how did you manage to record so much footage...how many SSD disc did you have and what do you think about footage size ? isn't it impossible to shoot daily with RAW...45 min- 512 gb ?
2016-5-3
Use props
Ian Cresswell
Second Officer
  • >>>

g.alesbajc@gmai Posted at 2016-5-3 21:20
Ian ma you tell me how did you manage to record so much footage...how many SSD disc did you have   ...

I had only 1 512gb SSD. I often shoot for edit and don't just roll on clips for long periods of time. We never ran out of space in a day. We would just transfer the SSD every night when we stopped for dinner/sleep. Depending on your shoot needs though, others may need multiple SSDs for their shooting needs.
2016-5-3
Use props
Phoenixaerial
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

Ian Cresswell Posted at 2016-5-3 09:21
I had only 1 512gb SSD. I often shoot for edit and don't just roll on clips for long periods of ti ...

What way did you export the files .. What option I guess is what I am asking ?
2016-5-5
Use props
Ian Cresswell
Second Officer
  • >>>

Phoenixaerial Posted at 2016-5-6 05:52
What way did you export the files .. What option I guess is what I am asking ?

"Adobe DNG compatible with Premiere Pro"
2016-5-5
Use props
noaches232
lvl.1

United States

This footage is very good...

It makes me want to have a X5R for my Inspire!
2016-5-12
Use props
CameraOnFilms
New

United Kingdom

Hi Ian,

Can you confirm I have the right workflow.  I just downloaded the sample video that DJI have on their website and followed your instructions from the BTS video but not sure if I have it right.

1) Open Cinelight (currently using 0.9.19)
2) Bring in the DNG sequence of clips from SSD (in my case I added the DNG folder from my Hard drive and the clips showed up)
3) Do nothing to the sequence simply hit the export sequence button and select the Adobe Premiere Pro compatible DNG sequence
4) Open Premiere Pro CC and import DNG sequence by selecting first .dng file of the sequence
5) Clip now in Premiere Pro CC
6) Open Lumetri Color Panel and grade by tweaking highlights, shadows, whites, blacks, exposure etc. (I assume here that I have the full RAW capability for making adjustments?)
7) Finish edit and render out for delivery format

Being new to RAW video I wanted to ensure I was maximising the best possible image out of the camera and have not yet been 100% convinced that I have the right workflow.

Cheers for your help.
2016-5-24
Use props
Ricky Wu
Captain
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

it looks nice
love your work!
2016-6-16
Use props
letsrockitpunk
lvl.1

India

Ian Cresswell Posted at 2016-3-24 10:37
Thanks. Yes, everything shot 3840x2160 30fps. Part of the fluidity may arise from the fact that I us ...

what kinda nd filters u using ian ???
2016-8-14
Use props
Ian Cresswell
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

letsrockitpunk Posted at 2016-8-15 12:21
what kinda nd filters u using ian ???

There are 3 levels of quality for just about any filter type (UV, polarizer, ND, grad, specialty). Super cheapo like Amazon knock-offs, hoya, etc. Then there's budget-to-mid-level like tiffen and similar (with varying levels of "multi coatings" and whatnot). Then, there's the expensive filters. B&W and the like. Now, each person needs to decide their budget and what's important to them. Anybody that tells you there's no difference between cheap and expensive filters is entirely wrong. There are huge differences, for the discerning eye. Color cast, image clarity, flare, internal reflection, durability, weight, construction, IR cut, are the main factors.

Don't have much money, and aren't super concerned with image quality? Get the cheapos. They'll fulfill a basic function, but may add a color cast, may degrade clarity, made add flaring or internal reflection, etc. You decide if degraded clarity and a color cast is important to you. They'll probably also get scratched up super fast.

Mid level filters? Again, you may see some small image degradation. A bit of color cast, etc. They may have some better coatings for durability and flare reduction. But they'll likely still have some issues, albeit likely negligible for most people to notice. These will probably work fine for a lot of people. I recommend the Tiffen ND combo if this is what you go with. Link below

Want the best filters? Low amount of color cast, good clarity, high durability? Get the expensive ones and just realize that it makes complete sense to put nice, high quality filters on if you're running an Inspire 1 /X5R combo. Why would you put a crap $10 piece of glass in front of what amounts to a $6000 flying camera?

So, what to buy?
-Cheapos: Whatever you want. Good luck. I don't recommend this.
-Mid level: I suggest Tiffen or PolarPro.
-Great filters: In my opinion the absolute best ND filters for the X5 series cameras are the Formatt-Hitech Firecrest IRND filters. They have the added benefit of additional IR cut, which is nice to have if you're cutting a lot of light with something ND1.8 or above. The firecrest filters are about $90 a pop, and totally worth them. I've been shooting with the .6, 1.2, and 1.8 depending on the circumstances. .6 for overcast days, 1.2 is the workhorse sunny day filter, and the 1.8 when I'm osmo-ing and want to be wide open on the aperture.

So that's it.
1. Off-brand cheapos (doesn't really matter they're all gonna do a basic function, and all will be pretty bad)
2. Tiffen/PolarPro http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l_Density.html
3. Firecrest: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...m_nd_plus.html (that's for the 1.2 and you can get to the other strengths from there)
2016-8-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Ian Cresswell Posted at 2016-8-16 14:12
There are 3 levels of quality for just about any filter type (UV, polarizer, ND, grad, specialty). ...

Hello Ian. I just discovered this thread, and watched the clips you had done. I remember you from the Blackmagic forum when you had that New Zealand made octocopter, and your early attempts flying around your house. Then came those amazing scenes you shot out in the desert. You seem to have come a long way since then, and it only getsa better. Good luck.
2016-10-30
Use props
Ian Cresswell
Second Officer
  • >>>

Geebax Posted at 2016-10-31 11:50
Hello Ian. I just discovered this thread, and watched the clips you had done. I remember you from t ...

Haha, wow that seems like ages ago. Thanks for following along, I'm so glad you enjoyed the video!
2016-11-4
Use props
Salty777
lvl.4
Flight distance : 117077 ft
Malaysia

Hi

Just wanted to add that as well as the cinematography being awesome, your handling of the Inspire is also fantastic.... when you were flying between the trees I was holding my breath!
2016-11-4
Use props
HeliA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 172972 ft
United States

That was incredible! I wish I had that talent for editing. Beautiful!
2018-2-18
Use props
Leftyguy
Captain
Flight distance : 1282638 ft
United States

Great Work Ian - Your Productions are great
2018-2-18
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 394291 ft