909 13 2016-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Orange5ive
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112477 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All

when I used to do a lot of head height photography I often used a graduated filter - can you get these for a P3A?

or is bracketing the only option?

Cheers

Neil
2016-3-25
Use props
mrbillgill1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 717100 ft
United Kingdom

Snakeriverprototyping do one that just slips over the p3's supplied uv filter. Trying to find a UK source without much success
2016-4-3
Use props
Orange5ive
lvl.2
United Kingdom

mrbillgill1 Posted at 2016-4-3 12:52
Snakeriverprototyping do one that just slips over the p3's supplied uv filter. Trying to find a UK s ...

cool cheers, will keep an eye out
2016-4-3
Use props
hop_hopley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2136716 ft
United Kingdom

I regularly use the Lee grad filter system with my Canon 5D, but using grads on a drone I would imagine would be a right faff. I can't see any problems bracketing shots and combining together, it's a doddle in Lightroom if you have a copy.
2016-4-3
Use props
Orange5ive
lvl.2
United Kingdom

hop_hopley Posted at 2016-4-3 17:40
I regularly use the Lee grad filter system with my Canon 5D, but using grads on a drone I would imag ...

Yeah I do bracket but think it does make the image slightly softer as the camera moves slightly between frames, you get slight double lines especially round edges.
2016-4-3
Use props
hop_hopley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Orange5ive Posted at 2016-4-3 18:27
Yeah I do bracket but think it does make the image slightly softer as the camera moves slightly be ...

What software are you using? Lightroom does a pretty good job at merging exposures, it can, to a point, sort out objects which move between shots ie branches on trees. I've had no problem at all merging using LR
2016-4-3
Use props
Orange5ive
lvl.2
United Kingdom

hop_hopley Posted at 2016-4-3 19:05
What software are you using? Lightroom does a pretty good job at merging exposures, it can, to a p ...

Photoshop cs5 - will see if I can liberate a copy of Lightroom from somewhere.
2016-4-3
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Orange5ive Posted at 2016-4-3 19:32

It should be easy to align the images manually in Photoshop.  I used to do it with handheld shots by setting the opacity of the top layer to 50% & moving it until it aligned perfectly with the layer below using the arrow keys.

If it does't align perfectly, you can just use the eraser or a mask to erase half of the top layer image with a soft edge brush along the horizon or transition line to leave half of one image over half of the other.  That way you never have the double exposure lines showing through.
2016-4-3
Use props
hop_hopley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Orange5ive Posted at 2016-4-3 19:32

I think only the latest version has HDR photo merge (and panorama merge, which is ace!)
2016-4-3
Use props
Orange5ive
lvl.2
United Kingdom

nigelw Posted at 2016-4-3 19:47
It should be easy to align the images manually in Photoshop.  I used to do it with handheld shots  ...

Cheers, think I need to have a good session on photoshop, I used to be pretty good (considering self taught) but have had a 5 year sabbatical from any kind of photography and seem to have forgotten most of it. I used to use filters a lot so 90% of my pics were good to go straight out the camera. (I guess it helped I was using  a Nikon D3x combined with expensive glass!)
2016-4-3
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Orange5ive Posted at 2016-4-3 19:55
Cheers, think I need to have a good session on photoshop, I used to be pretty good (considering se ...

I'd still rather use ND Grads though, but the chances of anyone making anything worthwhile are slim.  I've considered buying a sheet of Lee ND filter gel & just cutting a semi-circular section out & sticking it on the front of the lens with tape.  I'm not sure if the transition would be too hard though, even with an f/2.8 lens.  Maybe test it with a sweet wrapper.
2016-4-3
Use props
Orange5ive
lvl.2
United Kingdom

nigelw Posted at 2016-4-3 20:02
I'd still rather use ND Grads though, but the chances of anyone making anything worthwhile are sli ...

I tried curing up a Cokin filter but the transition was too gradual for a small lens, am off to experiment! Best get eating some Roses.....
2016-4-3
Use props
hop_hopley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Orange5ive Posted at 2016-4-3 20:10
I tried curing up a Cokin filter but the transition was too gradual for a small lens, am off to ex ...

Get yourself Lightroom! It's 10quid a month for the subscription service which includes PhotoShop, or about £110 to buy outright (you don't get intermediate upgrades though (check the latest release has HDR and Pano merge))

I was experimenting with the drone last week and tried some HDR/Pano shots. This vertical pano was made up of 2 lots of 3 bracketed images and stitched in Lightroom, it's seamless and only took a minute or so to do.

[img]https://forum22.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/%5BURL=http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DrawsWithLight/media/DJI_0090-HDR-Pano-Edit_zps1qcojfpt.jpg.html%5D[/URL][/img]
2016-4-3
Use props
hop_hopley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Look what I came across!

Grad filter for P3
2016-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now