Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Request: Absolute position support for drones etc
1470 6 2016-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
werner.daehn
Captain
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Would you consider adding an option for controling the absolute position with the sticks instead of the speed for the Ronin-M? Without some modes are pretty useless in my opinion.
So the request is that you can enable for each axis if the stick position controls the speed (today) or the absolute position. For each axis you know the maximum degrees of movement, the stick position tells where in that range the target position is.

Examples of why this is important.

1. Roll: When Roll is turned on, there is no simple way to level the camera again. With this mode you would put the stick into the middle position and roll will be level.
2. Tilt: Again, to make the camera look striaght forward you have to play with the stick until it looks level again. Instead you could put the stick in the middle and the camera is 100% level.
3. Yaw: When using the Ronin-M in a drone, a crane, a dolly or a cablecam it would be good to repeat certain movement patterns. Doing that with a speed pattern is not precise enough. Instead you could configure the gimbal to -180° to +180° and putting the stick full left means -180°, center is 0°.

Likely would need an acceleration profile as well.
2016-3-26
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Thanks for your suggestion!
In my opinion, our design with the speed and deadband will make our operation more flexible and accurate. It also allow the operator to adjust the setting of each axes so that they can control the camera in a more comfortable way.
In smooth track mode, please pay attention to the following statements as below in the user manual: Ronin-SmoothTrack Mode.png
Any other good suggestion or feedback will be appreciated!
2016-3-28
Use props
werner.daehn
Captain
  • >>>
Austria

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-28 12:33
Thanks for your suggestion!
In my opinion, our design with the speed and deadband will make our oper ...

Oh, fully agree that a speed mode is needed for handheld and for life viewing. It's just that an absolute position mode makes sense for other applications and cases where you do not have a monitor directly in front of you.
2016-3-30
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

werner.daehn@go Posted at 2016-3-30 21:41
Oh, fully agree that a speed mode is needed for handheld and for life viewing. It's just that an a ...

Thanks for your reply!
Without a monitor, I'm afraid the performance of Ronin may be limited.
We appreciate your idea, if you have any further details, please contact us freely.
Our engineers will review your advice and estimate this feature.
2016-3-30
Use props
werner.daehn
Captain
  • >>>
Austria

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-31 09:27
Thanks for your reply!
Without a monitor, I'm afraid the performance of Ronin may be limited.
We a ...

Examples:

1. While the rig rides on a motorized dolly, it should look at the same point all times. Providing a nice overview shot where you can see the object first from front, then from the side and finally from the rear.

2. While on a CableCam, record the signals sent to the Ronin and repeat that. This way you can film the same sequence multiple times.

3. With the Ronin on the copter, keep looking at the same POI regardless of where the copter is at any time.

4. Ronin being static and based on its current GPS position in relation to the target object's position calculate the angles and let the Ronin keep tracking the object.

5. Panorama shots, where you want the Ronin to Pan by e.g. 360° in a given amount of time, say within 1 minute.

6. Use the tablet to control a remote Ronin by rotating and angling the tablet. If you rotate 20° left, so does the Ronin. If you look 45° up with the tablet, so does the Ronin.

7. Ronin is on a camera crane controlled by a stick, same stick should control the Ronin as well to add up the movements of both.

Common to all these use cases is the need of a flight controller, a microcomputer, a smartphone or whatever external control. But these devices require to send the absolute angles. Since you can't, the Ronin is not suited for any of these professional grade use cases.
With a simple and easy addition to support that as well, suddenly you could. Mine is the CableCam use case btw. It works with a 200USD gimbal but not yours at the moment.
2016-3-31
Use props
info
New

Spain

I totaly agrre with you. This is something that other brads have (Freefly with it's MIMIC, Gremsy, and Alexmos open source). If you want to control the gimbal with an RC gyro to mimic your movements, this is something that you can't do with the Ronin because it doesn't have "Angle Mode" and only "Spedd Mode".

I purchased last week a Gremsy H6 to be able to do this, instead of buying another Ronin-M for our work ...
2016-3-31
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

werner.daehn@go Posted at 2016-3-31 17:31
Examples:

1. While the rig rides on a motorized dolly, it should look at the same point all times. ...

Thanks again for your further explanation!
Our engineers will review all those ideas.
2016-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules