Taking off from uneven surface manually ?
4956 21 2016-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
martyg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 329505 ft
United States

I once automatically took of my drone on a uneven surface and it ended tipping and falling over but if i were to take it off manually will i get a better result ? also would landing work .
2016-3-27
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha marty,

Yes, hand launch and recovery are standard procedures.  Every operator should learn how to do them.  Look up at the top line of the forum and you will see the magnifying glass to the right of the options in the middle.  That is the search option.  Look up hand launch or hand recovery and you will get many threads on the subject.  

Be sure that you catch by grabbing the vertical part of the landing gear.  The horizontal part will allow the Phantom to rotate and fall into you or away from you while the props still turn.  Not a good idea.  There will be many suggestions - all of them good suggestions.  Until you turn off the motors, the Phantom will keep trying to position itself and feel almost alive.  Interesting.  Best to keep the Phantom as still as possible until the motors stop.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Just for interest's sake, I never use the auto take off and auto land, I always do it manually and have never had an issue. And really you should be too, as you will be up the creek without a paddle if you ever have to cope with ATTI mode.
2016-3-27
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

no problem with that, you can take off from the uneven surface.
2016-3-28
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

If you don't use a hard-shell backpack a small DIY "landing pad" can be useful for launching from uneven or dirty, dusty, muddy (etc.) surfaces. Recovery in such situations is usually done by hand catching (hand launching is a bit more difficult alone).
Have fun & good flying!
2016-3-28
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

it really does depend on your pilot skills. I take off and land from uneven surfaces all the time and have never tipped. The key is to always apply compensation so you have to keep 100 % focus on your drone and its motions. Ideally take of from a level surface if you can but even then a poor pilot could tip landing or taking off.
2016-3-28
Use props
martyg
lvl.2
United States

johnsr Posted at 2016-3-28 06:15
If you don't use a hard-shell backpack a small DIY "landing pad" can be useful for launching from un ...

would a case work ?
2016-3-28
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

as long as not metal....

never used the auto launch myself.

just got used to doing it manually with my previous p2's and p1
always takeoff and land manually and never have an issue with any tipping.

if real windy or high grass etc I will hand catch...

just give it a good bump on throttle--
enough to burst to about 4 to10 feet and let it settle a bit to check on things..

2016-3-28
Use props
rasit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 386089 ft

When taking off don't pussy foot around. I give it plenty of throttle up to get airborne and then hover and run through a short airborne function test.  No such thing as a slow takeoff for me
2016-3-28
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

rasit Posted at 2016-3-29 11:22
When taking off don't pussy foot around. I give it plenty of throttle up to get airborne and then ho ...

+1
Take off like you stole it. Max stick on take off to prevent tip overs.
2016-3-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

quanthonytrang Posted at 2016-3-29 11:41
+1
Take off like you stole it. Max stick on take off to prevent tip overs.

+1 also, get it up about 4 to 6 feet as quick as you can.
2016-3-28
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

uick take off to about 4 or 5 feet is better than a slow one on uneven surface.  Or hand launch,  but that takes practice.
2016-3-28
Use props
dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-3-28 09:30
as long as not metal....

Would you elaborate why not metal launching (or landing) surface, pls?
2016-3-28
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

You can always take off while holding it in your hand.
2016-3-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dobmatt Posted at 2016-3-29 13:53

Because ferrous metal can affect the on-board compass and may cause a crash on take-off.
2016-3-28
Use props
martyg
lvl.2
United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-3-28 11:30
as long as not metal....

I got the micro adaptor pro case thats around 160$ is that case fine ?
2016-3-28
Use props
dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-28 21:11
Because ferrous metal can affect the on-board compass and may cause a crash on take-off.

Well, it's rather obvious, I agree. The reason for my ... hmm ... doubts is the fact that I've received recently advices from other forum members about launching/landing the drone in proximity of huge steel structures. In general the presence of larger ferrous mass nearby should not affect the launching or landing procedure. Some pilots are launching from truck bed or cab rooftop with no issue whatsoever. That shall be true with obvious assumption of properly calibrated compass somewhere else and before.

So, as usual we have extremely different opinions about specific issue and that's the reality of public forums in general. Instinct tells me not to mess with devil-ish spirits and stay away from the iron...
2016-3-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dobmatt Posted at 2016-3-29 16:30
Well, it's rather obvious, I agree. The reason for my ... hmm ... doubts is the fact that I've rec ...

There is also anecdotal evidence from people who have had their compasses affected by large ferrous metal objects. So, you takes the risk. Personally, I don't take any risks.
2016-3-28
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

rasit Posted at 2016-3-28 20:22
When taking off don't pussy foot around. I give it plenty of throttle up to get airborne and then ho ...

Yep, if you bounced around on ground effect, the landing gear will catch on something and whole thing will flip over.  
2016-3-29
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

dobmatt Posted at 2016-3-28 22:53

the compass will mess up,
its pretty much a way to not get your phantom back...in one piece.

the metal interferes with compass and imu setting at take off , when you leave the influence of the metal the compass can kinda goes nuts....

watch for rebar in concrete as well
2016-3-29
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

dobmatt Posted at 2016-3-29 01:30
Well, it's rather obvious, I agree. The reason for my ... hmm ... doubts is the fact that I've rec ...

been flying phantoms for years now, on 6 th,

you may get away with it 10 times but the odds are it will bite you.

actually though the new p3 and p4 wont let you start if to close to metal and interference

much more sensitive than p2's
2016-3-29
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

martyg Posted at 2016-3-29 00:40
I got the micro adaptor pro case thats around 160$ is that case fine ?

unfamiliar with that,

I usually find a spot on ground or if snow or wet use a towel or cardboard to start from
2016-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules