Parking Garages and Magnetic Interference
1339 4 2016-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stshields91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1483635 ft

I tried launcing my P4 this weekend from atop a parking Garage and struck out due magnetic interferance of the compass.  I assume this was from the metal rebar in the contrete.  I moved to a parking lot on the ground and all was good.  I noticed that if I held it up a few feet off the garage roof all turned green.

Are there any reccomdations or Do's & Don'ts around launching from the top of parking garages?  if you had a wooden platform that's elevated is that enough to be safe or are the other risks I should be aware of?

I have the same experience trying to launch from the top of a picnic table laterin the day only to realize it had metal legs under it.

2016-3-28
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

That has been my experience as well. I try to avoid large concrete structures for the most part.
2016-3-28
Use props
Gatorone30
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

i use a little table if I am flying from a parking deck. I fly construction sites and you have to be very mindful of stacks of rebar and precast pieces etc. There is a lot of metal on construction sites!
2016-3-28
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

seems like carrying a small pocket compass with you and observing it for deflections might be useful in these situations.  
2016-3-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-3-29 07:39
seems like carrying a small pocket compass with you and observing it for deflections might be useful ...

You could always try using your moral compass, but in my case that would inevitably lead me astray.
2016-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules