Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal not level after calibration. Return P4 or wait for new FW?
12Next >
12960 78 2016-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thacyoon
lvl.3

Norway

Hello all,

Gimbal is not level after several IMU (tried cold, room temperature and warm calibration environments) and gimbal calibrations on a PERFECTLY level surface. I can adjust the gimbal roll in the DJI GO app, but it will very soon get unlevel again. I know a lot of P4 owners have this problem. So....should I return the P4 back to DJI (ordered direct), OR shall I (we) wait for a FW update to fix this?

Regards,
Thacyoon

EDIT 1: I have not crashed, landed hard, transported the P4 'hard', or done anything bad to my P4!
EDIT 2: Sometimes (random), the gimbal calibration process fails, and I need to restart the calibration until the app says 'success'.
EDIT 3: Added a sketch to illustrate the issue below. Yes, it is Windows Paint - but you probably get the point...

gimbal.png
2016-3-29
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

it depends on how uneven it is.. could you please post a picture?
2016-3-29
Use props
ahoj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 462690 ft
Sweden

At what percentage does your gimbal calibration fail? I have a similar issue, calibration fails at 72% most of the times, but since i posted my linked thread below i have got i calibrated OK a few times. The Calibration also continues even when the popup is present saying that gimbal calibration failed..

http://forum.dji.com/thread-46316-1-1.html
2016-3-29
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.3

Norway

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-29 11:56

Thanks for answering DJI-Tim. I have made some sketches in good old Windows Paint. Not the best way to explain the gimbal issue, but it does illustrate the issue (added this sketch to my OP also) :
gimbal.png
2016-3-29
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.3

Norway

ahoj Posted at 2016-3-29 14:45
At what percentage does your gimbal calibration fail? I have a similar issue, calibration fails at 7 ...

Ok, mine also continues when the popup is present saying that gimbal calibration failed (don't remember at what percentage). But when this happens, I restart the calibration until I get 'success'. But even with success, it is not level. I need to adjust the gimbal roll in the DJI GO App (after normal 'success' gimbal calibration). However, this manual adjustment will not last... see my answer to DJI-Tim above.
2016-3-29
Use props
Drone Man
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3896588 ft
United States

My gimbal fails cal 3 out of 4 times consistently,
Once I do get a successful cal, my horizon is right side high.
2016-3-29
Use props
ahoj
lvl.3
Sweden

My calibration failed consequently the first 20 times or something. Now it manages to calibrate ok every now and then, but fails most times.
Not sure if the horizon was perfectly level the last flight since, gonna check the photos and video.. I hope it's a firmware issue.
I have a support case going with EU support regarding this.
2016-3-29
Use props
TK-421
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-29
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.3

Norway

TK-421 Posted at 2016-3-29 16:14
Your graphic PERFECTLY illustrates the gimbal problem I've had on two different P4 units, nice work. ...

Yes, this is exactly the same as mine. This has to be fixable with a FW upgrade, DJI?
2016-3-29
Use props
fseider
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

The same with my P4...
2016-3-29
Use props
dirter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3633799 ft
United States

Toggling FPV mode in the camera settings helped mine. Don't know why.
2016-3-29
Use props
agilarmanuel
lvl.1

what about this noise
When i turn the phantom 4 it make a gimbal noise i try to calibrate and it fails to many times you can see it in the attach video and another thing the camera is not straight it stays side ways this is normal??

http://youtu.be/b3uaKGKgVRQ
2016-3-29
Use props
ahoj
lvl.3
Sweden

agilarmanuel Posted at 2016-3-30 08:09
what about this noise
When i turn the phantom 4 it make a gimbal noise i try to calibrate and it fai ...

The calibration is still going when you press Retry, don't do that and the gimbal will continue the calibration even though it says it has failed. Just let the calibration continue without pressing Retry. Then your camera will point forward afterwards..
2016-3-29
Use props
agilarmanuel
lvl.1

United States

Ok thanks but what about the noise? Is not nomal see the camera is not straight
2016-3-29
Use props
imm.arcobaleno
lvl.1

Italy

ciao anche mio p 4 uguale provato di tutto ma senza risolvere
2016-3-30
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.3

Norway

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-29 11:56

Dear DJI,

It seems like many P4 owers has this exact problem with their P4. Can you confirm that this is fixable in a future (soon) FW upgrade? Or is it a mechanical problem with the gimbal? I would think/hope this is a software glitch/bug, and can be fixed with new FW.

Thanks,
Thacyoon
2016-3-30
Use props
ahoj
lvl.3
Sweden

Got this from the DJI EU Support just now:

Dear Jocke,

Thank you for contacting the DJI Support.

We have been talking with R&D and they will issue a fix for this in the next firmware update. For now you can use the drone safely. You mentioned the error comes randomly, so it did succeed at some point. Which means you can safely fly with it.

I can't give you the exact date of course but it will be pretty soon. Keep an eye on further updates!

Thanks for choosing DJI.

Kind regards,

DJI Support EU
Stefan
2016-3-30
Use props
Khan
lvl.1

Canada

agilarmanuel Posted at 2016-3-30 15:19
Ok thanks but what about the noise? Is not nomal see the camera is not straight

That gimbal noise is not normal
2016-3-30
Use props
agilarmanuel
lvl.1

Problem fixed Apple exchange for new p4
2016-3-30
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.3

Norway

ahoj Posted at 2016-3-30 15:11

Dear Jocke,

Thanks, that is good news
2016-3-30
Use props
karlsbar
lvl.1

Germany

Some Problem.
2016-4-4
Use props

Norway

agilarmanuel Posted at 2016-3-30 21:08
Problem fixed Apple exchange for new p4

Did you order from apple netshop or localy ?  Have the same problem and i dont have a local apple store here
2016-4-6
Use props
mattd
lvl.4

Australia

I took mine back to apple and they exchanged it for another - but apparently other people who pre-ordered and picked it up on the day have similar issues.

I flew my new one and it seems a lot more dialed in, doesn't seem to lose the horizon as easily when spinning.
2016-4-6
Use props
mattd
lvl.4

Australia

The new ones seem to have groves in the bottom rubber feet - do urs have this?
2016-4-6
Use props
parkgt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

mattd Posted at 2016-4-6 05:46
I took mine back to apple and they exchanged it for another - but apparently other people who pre-or ...

Shouldn't lose it at all when spinning.  So is it fixed or not?
2016-4-6
Use props
marc.hufnagel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2368264 ft
  • >>>
United States

TK-421 Posted at 2016-3-29 09:14
Your graphic PERFECTLY illustrates the gimbal problem I've had on two different P4 units, nice work. ...

Mine snaps back too.
2016-4-6
Use props
marc.hufnagel
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thacyoon Posted at 2016-3-29 11:04
Yes, this is exactly the same as mine. This has to be fixable with a FW upgrade, DJI?

They never really fixed it in the P3...
2016-4-6
Use props
marc.hufnagel
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

ahoj Posted at 2016-3-30 08:11

Dear Jocke,

Pretty sure we saw something like this in a P3 firmware release too; but was not fixed.
2016-4-6
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
Second Officer

United States

TK-421 Posted at 2016-3-29 10:14

yea, I noticed the exact same problem yesterday, my horizon was off. I kept on changing it to level, and as soon as i'd take off, it'd go off level again. What I finally figured out (after two batteries worth of hovering, trying to get it right) was that when I was hovering, the horizon was off. As soon as I started flying, the horizon straightens out immediately. I'd stop again, the level would go off, id fly, it'd immediately go even. I'm thinking the majority of the people who are reporting this problem are talking about when their P4 is hovering, correct? That's why it's so off when you start flying, because you actually offset it when you changed it's roll in the settings. I don't know why it's not level when hovering (it should be), but I tested this extensively yesterday. This is the case, at least with mine. Everybody who has reported this problem, please test this on your next flight and report your results back to this thread for further analysis. Thank you.
2016-4-6
Use props

Norway

I am wondering if i should return my phantom 4. have tried the calibrations and manuell but the horison as soon as i shift direction.
2016-4-6
Use props
TK-421
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-6
Use props

Norway

TK-421 Posted at 2016-4-7 05:14
Interesting. I can see this being the case. So, would the fix be to pitch forward to fly at a stea ...

The new firmware is out, anyone tried it ?
2016-4-7
Use props
ahoj
lvl.3
Sweden

post@abfilm.no Posted at 2016-4-7 13:21
The new firmware is out, anyone tried it ?

Yes, it seems to have solved the failing gimbal calibration at least, mine calibrated 7 times in a row without failing. Haven't flown it yet after upgrade though.
2016-4-7
Use props
felixmiziozniko
First Officer
Flight distance : 12780633 ft
  • >>>
United States

I to have the same issues as described. I'm also noticing that the camera is not balanced and tilts forward when off. If you remove the front lens cover it seems better balanced.
2016-4-7
Use props
mjanzou
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14820 ft
United States

ahoj Posted at 2016-4-7 10:07
Yes, it seems to have solved the failing gimbal calibration at least, mine calibrated 7 times in a ...

nice, keep posted
2016-4-7
Use props
4StateFlyer
lvl.1

United States

I had this when I first got my P4.  It scared the heck out of me.   But I have seemed to be able to get it level at this point after both updates.   I find 100 percent level ground.   I go around the P4 with a level ... and keep moving till I'm 100 percent happy.  Is it a bit overkill? Maybe but seems to work.

I just updated firmware did IMU calibration, Gimbal aswell.  Only thing I do not like is the Gimbal calibration seems to fail... then succeed.  Cannot figure that out figure it's a error with firmware.  But even though it fails I let it keep going and after it say's successful.

So kinda a pain... but I'm at least able to get mine very level.   
2016-4-7
Use props
hyperspace12
New

Nice work on illustrating the problem! Hope they had a fix soon.
2016-4-8
Use props

Norway

hyperspace12 Posted at 2016-4-8 18:55

I have updated the firmware and did a compas, imu and gimbal calibration. I only had time on a quick flight and it seems better but not good. I will test it more this weekend.
2016-4-8
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.3

Norway

post@abfilm.no Posted at 2016-4-8 20:03
I have updated the firmware and did a compas, imu and gimbal calibration. I only had time on a qui ...

Ok, please report back again
2016-4-8
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.3

Norway

hyperspace12 Posted at 2016-4-8 18:55

Thanks, hope it is FW fixable for our and DJI's sake
2016-4-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules