Computer setup for 2.7 and 4K.
2465 10 2016-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

I have a Dell desktop that is less then 2 yrs old and running windows 10. It does have HDMI. and Blutooth and Wi Fi. Anyhow, What has to be done in order for it to process 2.7K and 4K video? When I try to use Dashware and Wondershare, etc. It wont let me edit video due to wrong file foremat. Anything over 1080 will NOT work.
2016-3-29
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Well, the key besides CPU and RAM is the GPU or graphics card.
4K codecs will play just fine on most newer machines, but when you get down to video editing, the GPU needs to be a higher end model.
Nvidia is a good line to use and could be easy for most anyone to replace in your Dell PC.
You just open the case and replace the card (or add the card if existing GPU is integrated to the motherboard)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pr ... N=-1&isNodeId=1

As for Software, depends if you want free.  Most when doign 4K are not free but you could start with Davinci Resolve 12
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
2016-3-29
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-30 03:43
4K codecs will play just fine on most ...

Mine is Intergrated in the card. It does have expansion slots. Im using a "paid" version of Wondershare video edit software, Which wont load the video higher then 1080, Also Dashware let me edit the video, but as soon as a selected "create" video, it gave me the "wrong file type" message.

Im not going out to buy another computer, but I will update the video card and see what happens.
2016-3-29
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

Kilted Flyer (D Posted at 2016-3-29 16:31
Mine is Intergrated in the card. It does have expansion slots. Im using a "paid" version of Wonder ...

Filmora is a good company so using wondershare will do the trick.
So it boils down the your graphics card.
What Dell model do you have and I can give yo a list of cards that will work wonders for video editing and also video gaming.
2016-3-29
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

If you want, check out this one, as I am not sure of your budget.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pr ... 4-127-850-_-Product
2016-3-29
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kilted Flyer (D Posted at 2016-3-29 21:31
Mine is Intergrated in the card. It does have expansion slots. Im using a "paid" version of Wonder ...

If you're able to upgrade the graphics card, then that's probably the best route.
My previous laptop was new, had a 1Tb SSD hard drice; 16Gb of RAM, but still could not play back anything over 1080p.  I couldn't upgrade the graphics card as it was integrated in the laptop.
My new gaming laptop plays back 4k stuff just fine.... What's another grand
2016-3-29
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-30 03:43
4K codecs will play just fine on most ...

Professional advice !
2016-3-29
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
United States

Im going to try the graphics card upgrade first. If that dont work, Ill stick with the 1080 settings on my P3P. Afterall, my Tv and computer wont playback "real" 4K anyhow plus I cant see the difference in the 2 anyhow.
2016-4-1
Use props
gmezg
lvl.3

United States

I don't know too much about the requirements for 4K video editing or even 1080P. I have an iMac that is about 6 years old. Does anyone know what I need to look for or check on my Mac?
2016-4-5
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

gmezg Posted at 2016-4-5 15:52
I don't know too much about the requirements for 4K video editing or even 1080P. I have an iMac that ...

Well a 6 year old Mac will be fine for editing 1080p, but when you get to 4K editing, you need a higher GPU and CPU or you be stuck in pre render limbo for a very long time.

I mean you could Max out your Ram, but since the iMac is preparatory, you kinda have to upgrade the whole bloody thing. {:3_58:}
One trick is to reduce the preview pane, to draft mode (depends on what software you are using) to help reduce the lag.
2016-4-5
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

Graphics cards are a great upgrade for video editing but when you start creeping into 1080 at 60 fps and higher you really need a solid state hard drive. The best part is your whole computer will run faster.
2016-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules