GO app perrmissions
5574 15 2016-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jlccyoung
lvl.1

United States

I just bought my first Phantom 3 standard. I  downloded the Go app. I can't believe the permissions required by this app. It allows access to make phone calls from my account. It can overide my other apps. It can rewrite my S/D card etc. Can someone please comment on this? Why is this necesary? I'm very uncomforatable giving anyone this level of control of all my phone records and functions. Can the developer allow me more selectivity in what security I give up? What rules are in place that limit this access and in what circumtances. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm new and not familiar enough with the search functions.
2016-3-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Most any app you install will ask that. Download Facebook, and other apps like that and you see the same thing.
2016-3-30
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-30 13:57
Most any app you install will ask that. Download Facebook, and other apps like that and you see the  ...

But WHY? Those same thoughts went through my mind. Why does DJI need access to my personal information, accounts, contacts...etc?
2016-3-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

mjlstudios@yaho Posted at 2016-3-31 03:07
But WHY? Those same thoughts went through my mind. Why does DJI need access to my personal informa ...

There's a lot of social media features in the app (sharing your videos and other features) and maybe that's why.
2016-3-30
Use props
jlccyoung
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-30 15:13
There's a lot of social media features in the app (sharing your videos and other features) and may ...

You're right, I just looked at facebook. I'm not an app person. The reason this one stuck out was the big red lettering that lets someone directly call phone numbers and " This may cost you money".
2016-3-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jlccyoung Posted at 2016-3-31 03:48
You're right, I just looked at facebook. I'm not an app person. The reason this one stuck out was  ...

No problem at all.
2016-3-30
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

This more part of the core Android SDK (Software Development Kit) security required features then DJI Go itself.
When you add in certain modules of your app that uses say Internet to download firmware, flight logs, etc, you will get a notification about allowing access to Cell/Wifi notifications.
Does not mean at all DJI Go will be making phone calls.

Also say you add the module to do things like say the YouTube live streaming.  Well guess what, it asks about getting access to your contacts listing.

The Android SDK has flaws as it groups things in a lump sum to the notifications, or edit/save video photos, guess what Same thing but to access you SD card and access to your photo library.

So do not worry, they are not making calls from your phone, or using your phone for anything at all.
https://guides.codepath.com/android/Understanding-App-Permissions
http://developer.android.com/training/articles/security-tips.html

Apple has the same thing, such as when it will ask it you will allow "push" notifitications to be allowed on your screen, or if you allow access to your camera roll.

Now why you ask do these have all this?
Simple: Hackers write Malware or Ad Scam progtrams into apps like games and could flood your device as a background service without the user knowing, just like a trojan on a PC, so to fight this, Mobile devices warn the user what the app they are going to use what parts of your mobile device will be used and if you will let it.

Sadly, Android still has some issues with that.  They used to have a list of parts of the SDK to the user and it was an all or nothing permission, then they switched to seperate notifications, but user get confused because the notification just give a broad message like acces to celluar data or access to contacts.

The devleopers of the app need to add a new class module for the security notification to give better information, but many never do so here we are with your question.

maxresdefault.jpg
2016-3-30
Use props
jlccyoung
lvl.1

United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-30 16:49
This more part of the core Android SDK (Software Development Kit) security required features then DJ ...

Thanks to all. That was a lot more info than I expected.This forum seems to be a great resource.  I'm not any happier knowing that there are many things that require me to have an  open door policy. For some reason though, I feel better that we're all in the same boat. I console myself with the fact that I've got tons of fun coming up in learning to fly the Phantom.
2016-3-30
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

This access control should really be at the OS level and unfortunately iOS nor android gives you this level of specific control of apps. BB10 does for their apps. Every BB10 single app is sandboxed and independent. Every permission BB10 apps want, you can select to turn on or off any time after the installation. The app then may or may not work but at least you can choose. In BB10, some game apps ask for control of mics and phone data. Turned that shyt right off. Game still works. They were reaching.

With android you can't choose. Its a yes or no matter for a blanket of permissions requested. With iOS they might let you toggle location, camera and mic on-off for some apps. Still won't give you control about whether they can access your phone, etc etc.

But people like the dumbed down stuff. So you can't have your cake and eat it too. Its why the masses don't choose linux.

But to your point, you're right. They don't need most of the things they are requesting. Then again connecting on public wifi is also stupid. Yet people do that too. Maybe you should invest in a 'play' device that is a total wh0r where you can download any app or use any wifi and you won't lose sweat over it. Keep the 'play' and the 'work' separate.
2016-3-30
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

jlccyoung Posted at 2016-3-30 15:48
You're right, I just looked at facebook. I'm not an app person. The reason this one stuck out was  ...

Well, if someone was using facebook already, why would they care about privacy? Clearly they do not (unbeknownst to them or not). Or implicitly, that is the case whether they realize it or not.
2016-3-30
Use props
jlccyoung
lvl.1

United States

quaddron3 Posted at 2016-3-30 20:27
Well, if someone was using facebook already, why would they care about privacy? Clearly they do no ...

I agree. I didn't even know I had a Facebook app. I don't use it. There are several apps that seem to have been already on the phone. I would guess when I hooked up the Verizon service, I signed some permission. I've now stopped several of these apps.
2016-3-30
Use props
jlccyoung
lvl.1

United States

My phone continues to overheat with the Go app flight simulation. Does anyone else have this problem?
2016-4-1
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

jlccyoung Posted at 2016-3-30 20:17
Thanks to all. That was a lot more info than I expected.This forum seems to be a great resource.   ...

As an aside, you don't HAVE to let them have that much control. You can just fly using the remote and no app. VOILA! Problem solved!
2016-4-1
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

jlccyoung Posted at 2016-4-1 20:44
My phone continues to overheat with the Go app flight simulation. Does anyone else have this problem ...

When I use my phone, it is an Amazon Fire phone. No overheating issues. I normally use my tablet though. No overheating.
2016-4-1
Use props
jlccyoung
lvl.1

United States

FAS1 Posted at 2016-4-1 21:22
As an aside, you don't HAVE to let them have that much control. You can just fly using the remote  ...

Nice. Will it be able to use the IOC functions as well as RTH? If it can, can you let me know the switch control pattern to use the homelock and crosslock?
2016-4-2
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

jlccyoung Posted at 2016-4-2 08:39
Nice. Will it be able to use the IOC functions as well as RTH? If it can, can you let me know the  ...

You're on your own there. Scour the net, and the manual. All I know is the app is not required to fly, just to record and give verbal information as well as visual information. If you fly line of sight as you should, you should encounter no issues. RTH will still function as long as you don't lose signal, another function of the app is letting you know signal strength.
2016-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules