Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Painted underside black
12Next >
7733 48 2016-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

So l was bored.
l painted the underside of the rear arms black. l may do all four but l'll see how this holds up first. It's still drying and looks pretty good actually. l used Krylon for plastic, we'll see how it holds up. Won't be able to put it in the air until at least next week, so l won't know if it actually helps with visibility, but that was the motivation for painting.
Thoughts?

p3underside.jpg
2016-3-30
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

I think you would have better visual if you painted the white part either day-glo orange or yellow inside where the black is. Those colors would really stand out with the black.
2016-3-30
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

thumb Posted at 2016-3-30 16:11
I think you would have better visual if you painted the white part either day-glo orange or yellow i ...

Hmmmm, yellow would be nice.
l couldn't resist doing the front too. One arm left to do...
2016-3-30
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Would help with a brighter color in case you want to know the direction of your bird while within your LOS.
2016-3-30
Use props
Oleksiy
lvl.3
Switzerland

Being white P3 may look to birds like a small white cloud in the sky, I hope. I would be interested to learn if painting visible starts attract more unwanted attention from birds. I fly from time to time in mountains where there are birds which seem to be sometimes almost as big as pterodactyls.
2016-3-30
Use props
Anderjon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

I just designed a 3D printed strobe mount that carries a Strobon & 1S Lipo. Slots and connects between rear landing gear legs and projects slightly outward to keep clear of VPS and flight battery. Whole set up weighs less than prop guards. Being delivered later this week; I'll post pics when it arrives.
2016-3-30
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft

Boredom prompted me to paint also. But I had to open the shell to straighten things after a crash. I too used the Krylon for plastic. (Highly recommended) I painted the whole P3, but it was way too much work unless you are replacing the shell anyway.
Black really stands out in the sky better than white. But for orientation use the Go app heading display at the bottom and your FPV view. Once you are at any distance it won't matter what color scheme you have.Edit: I guess I used Rustoleum, but it said it was ok for plastic.

P3A

P3A

P3Ab

P3Ab
2016-3-30
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

I did all four arms. I hadn't considered a different colour and maybe should have. The reason l chose black was because l was flying with someone who has an Inspire and it was amazing how easily it could be seen in the sky compared to a Phantom. lt's done now - there's no going back
l'm happy with the way it looks. Once it gets nicer weather and l can get it in the air l'll post pics of it beside a friend's Phantom in the air.
4arms.jpg
2016-3-30
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
United States

Rnfaust Posted at 2016-3-30 17:08
Boredom prompted me to paint also. But I had to open the shell to straighten things after a crash. I ...

You also can look up Phantom 3 wrap and get some cool stuff without the need of painting. DJI-phantom3-Graphic-Wrap-Decal-Skin-Sticker-Cover-Fr-DJI-Phantom-3.jpg

Or you can also use the DJI tool to make your own and see what it looks like
http://miy.dji.com/home/
2016-3-30
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Boredom prompted me to paint also. But I had to open the shell to straighten things after a crash. I ...

That looks fantastic Rnfaust!
lt would have been nice to do the whole thing but l didn't want to take anything apart. l even blocked the screw ports so they'd stay white and l wouldn't have to remove them.
Do you find it gets any warmer during flight with the topside being black?
2016-3-30
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

CapitAn Posted at 2016-3-30 16:13
lt would have been nice to do the whole thing but l didn't want to t ...

Well Done CapitAn, I think the Black looks brilliant, funny I just painted my props on my Inspire with Yellow Krylon, to see the balance on the props better, I guess great minds think alike.

Cheers- donnie
2016-3-30
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-30 18:08
Well Done CapitAn, I think the Black looks brilliant, funny I just painted my props on my Ins ...

Thanks Donnie

Yellow props would look sharp on an Inspire!
2016-3-30
Use props
raveneapoe
lvl.2

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2016-3-31 05:13

I'm wondering what you used to block those screw holes, it looks really great!
Did you use masking tape or masking fluid on the LEDs and the vent holes?
  It looks like a very professional job.   Artist?
2016-3-30
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

raveneapoe Posted at 2016-3-30 18:21
I'm wondering what you used to block those screw holes, it looks really great!
Did you use masking ...

Thank you raveneapoe

l taped the straight parts including around the lights.
l'm embarrassed to say that l blocked the screw holes with ...

rolled up bits of toilet paper. LOL!

Art? Maybe

l have no stress cracks yet but wanted to leave those ports clear so l can keep an eye on them, otherwise l would have just sprayed right over them
2016-3-30
Use props
raveneapoe
lvl.2

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2016-3-31 06:25
Thank you raveneapoe

l taped the straight parts including around the lights.

Thanks for the info!   I'm thinking of painting my Phantoms, and the way you masked the screw holes gives a very professional look.  
And yes, I would definitely classify that job as art!
2016-3-30
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4

CapitAn Posted at 2016-3-31 05:13

I have seen no negative effects to painting it black. I've been flying my black P3 since summer and believe me there is plenty of cooling going on up there.
Yours looks great. You might try a wrap for the top (las shown by the poster above) while you are in the mood for mods.
2016-3-30
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-30
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

2016-3-30
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

Are you using carbon fiber props are did you spray that?
2016-3-30
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

2016-3-30
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I don't know about anyone else, but I find the bright colors just too hard to see in the sky.  They sky is bright.  I need some high contrast DARK color.  I think the black would be the best you could do.
2016-3-30
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

2016-3-30
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Just for info, a group of biologists at Montpellier studying the reaction of water birds to drones (published last year) did note that some species (like flamingos in their study) react to black drones, whereas they showed much less reaction to white or a lighter shade (blue in their study).
Have fun!
2016-3-31
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Freddy4fingers Posted at 2016-3-31 00:36
Black is actually harder to see in ths sky than the white. Its all an optical illusion. None of th ...

LOL.

You and "thumb" will complete each other.
2016-3-31
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

johnsr Posted at 2016-3-31 04:44
Just for info, a group of biologists at Montpellier studying the reaction of water birds to drones ( ...

Interesting. So l can look forward to bird attacks now. l've been left alone so far so l'm interested to see what happens.
2016-3-31
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

lt's fully dry this morning so the final colour looks good now. lt's supposed to be gloss finish but it's not as shiny as l expected, l might go over it again.

Freddie, l thought about using a sharpie but back on the Dronehart forum there was a lady whose niece (or something) drew a gorgeous elaborate design on the topside of her phantom. She couldn't find anything clear that would seal it properly and it didn't go well with moisture/fog/rain etc.
That said, l've got a fine gold metallic sharpie that l might do a pinstripe with.
2016-3-31
Use props
jlarcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2743376 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am able to see this in the AZ blue sky....
1.1DX_0870.jpg
2016-3-31
Use props
Oleksiy
lvl.3
Switzerland

johnsr Posted at 2016-3-31 10:44
Just for info, a group of biologists at Montpellier studying the reaction of water birds to drones ( ...

I searched the Internet but I did not find this study yet. Do you have an URL?

A bird could be a protected one, so in case of a bird attack or a collision, it may cause not only aircraft damage or loss, but also issues with the bird itself.

I train bird avoidance maneuvers - diving & fast emergency landing. And I read that it is also recommended to learn all available data on birds of the area.
2016-3-31
Use props
kcmusa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 132067 ft
United States

does this cause any effect on the GPS antenna on the top?
2016-3-31
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
France

Oleksiy Posted at 2016-3-31 13:03
I searched the Internet but I did not find this study yet. Do you have an URL?

A bird could be a  ...

Yes, here's the link to the paper Approaching birds with drones. There is also more information in a talk given in French Impact des vols d'un drone sur l'avifaune (if you can't read French have a look at the graphic on page 23, noir = black). Once you've got the author's names you can search the web.
Have fun & good flying!
2016-3-31
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
France

CapitAn Posted at 2016-3-31 11:39
Interesting. So l can look forward to bird attacks now. l've been left alone so far so l'm interes ...

It's not just attacks; you may see them fleeing as you approach from above...
Have fun!
2016-3-31
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
United States

Freddy4fingers Posted at 2016-3-30 23:07
What time is it in Minny?

Was beer 30, now coffee time in MN
2016-3-31
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Looks great...
2016-3-31
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4

CapitAn Posted at 2016-3-31 17:44
lt's fully dry this morning so the final colour looks good now. lt's supposed to be gloss finish but ...

If you want it glossy, spray a clear coat on it. (you don't need to mask as much either)
2016-3-31
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4

quaddron3 Posted at 2016-3-31 12:28
Are you using carbon fiber props are did you spray that?

The props are painted in my picture. That works fine. I'm now running DJI CF props.
I see no need for CF props now. If I fly right, either type will probably outlast the drone itself.
2016-3-31
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4

kcmusa Posted at 2016-3-31 19:19
does this cause any effect on the GPS antenna on the top?

No difference. I would certainly avoid metallic paint however. I even wonder about the metallic looking wraps I've seen. We know that just putting your hand over it to pick it up will kill the GPS signal. But paint is definitely ok.
2016-3-31
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
United States

How about this? dji_phantom3_professional_3d_model_obj_max__8428ab08-31d3-4749-9c67-4cae354b5cab.jpg
2016-3-31
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

2016-3-31
Use props
patrash1
lvl.2

United States

Ive submitted a few designs to the MIY.DJI site...Hopefully they will pick one??!!
1.jpg
2.jpg
2016-3-31
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-30 17:11
You also can look up Phantom 3 wrap and get some cool stuff without the need of painting.

Or you  ...

I have the black CF wrap on P3S. If you looked from the top of the Phantom, it looks great, but if you look from the side it looks a bad toupee. I wish the wrap would cover the whole thing instead of just on top.
2016-3-31
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules