Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Retactable Landing Gear Hack Ideas
1554 8 2016-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nink
lvl.3

Canada

The retractable landing gear HML350 v2 is now selling really cheap on ebay and other locations.  This was a really dumb idea as you don't have a rotating gimbal so all you did was risk smashing your camera.  

That said you have a system with the landing gear components that allow you to remotely control a device (switch servo etc) using the landing gear contrroller.  They give you a couple of servo's with it that are normally used to retract the landing gear but could obviously be used for a claw, robot arm or other type of system.  Example you could have a payload and flick the switch on Controller and the servo would open a claw and drop the payload etc.  

Anyone have some thoughts about Mods they could do with the retractalble landing gear ?  

2016-3-31
Use props
microcyb
First Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Would not both since the camera never sees the legs.  I would rather a Mod to lift the motors higher to avoid seeing props.
Hmm, I could make that. See Ya!
2016-3-31
Use props
Nink
lvl.3

Canada

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-31 11:07
Would not both since the camera never sees the legs.  I would rather a Mod to lift the motors higher ...

I thought about that.  A screw on adapter on each motor to extend the height of the blade from the quad. Simple Hack and you could attach only when you are filming in wind or flying fast forward.  That is more of a mechanical hack and yeah it would probably screw with aerodynamic but think it would be good in certain circumstances. (I pan and scan the blades out today and lose resolution)  
2016-3-31
Use props
microcyb
First Officer
United States

Nink Posted at 2016-3-31 11:13
I thought about that.  A screw on adapter on each motor to extend the height of the blade from the ...

I am thinking if I made parts using a 3D printer to extender the shell height surrounding the motors, you could lift the motors up higher and remove the props from the cameras view.
Working on some designs now. {:3_50:}
2016-3-31
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 87772 ft

The Phantom series is designed to have utilize the landing gear as antenna housings. Retractable legs will most likely decrease your range.
2016-3-31
Use props
Nink
lvl.3

Canada

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-31 11:44
I am thinking if I made parts using a 3D printer to extender the shell height surrounding the moto ...

I gave this a bit more thought and I am worried the drone will flip if you move the motors higher than the currently are.
2016-3-31
Use props
Nink
lvl.3

Canada

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-3-31 11:59
The Phantom series is designed to have utilize the landing gear as antenna housings. Retractable leg ...

Yeah I was thinking of not doing retractables but using the servos and controller for something else, just not sure what.  
2016-3-31
Use props
microcyb
First Officer
United States

Nink Posted at 2016-3-31 12:01
I gave this a bit more thought and I am worried the drone will flip if you move the motors higher  ...

True, guess there is only one way to know.
2016-3-31
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

It seems intersting but basically DJI does not recommend any hardware interference. Please notice that warranty will be voided by doing so. If you still want to change the landing gear, there are some experienced userd out there who can help you with advice.
2016-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules