Question about d-log and rec 709
2477 4 2016-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
caseycolomb
New

United States

A couple questions...

Take into mind that I have basically no experience handling video but I am quite an avid photographer so most the theory won't be strange.

My questions will be regarding D-log and Rec 709. From what I've read, using Rec 709 at night is better for noise than D-log. What setting on the Osmo would best replicate Rec 709? Perhaps the standard?

2016-3-31
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

D Log from the Osmo isn't a true log, like Varicam V Log for example. Osmo D log isn't very flat, it's more like a Sony Cine style profile. Osmo doesn't have the bit depth or dynamic range to be able to use a true log profile.

Cinelike D is quite close to Rec709, but I would shoot D Log without clipping highlights and then adjust the shadows in post to get close to Rec709.

Definitely better to shoot D Log or Cinelike D. 'Standard' will loose too much shadow detail and clip highlights you won't get back.
2016-3-31
Use props
caseycolomb
New

United States

rj74@me.com Posted at 2016-4-1 02:33
D Log from the Osmo isn't a true log, like Varicam V Log for example. Osmo D log isn't very flat, it ...

Yea you are right. I take the sat, sharpness and contrast down a few steps and it flattens out even more. Really wanted to know if the camera performs better in the Rec 709ish format for low light. That's what I've read is the case with my A7r2 but haven't tried it.

Also, the  DJI transcoding tool. From what I understand, it corrects d-log format and brings back the contrast and color. Is that right? Maybe that would be closer to Rec-709 format then.
2016-3-31
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

caseycolomb Posted at 2016-4-1 03:19
Yea you are right. I take the sat, sharpness and contrast down a few steps and it flattens out eve ...

With the Osmo, any post adjustment is destructive, the he Osmo just doesn't have the bit depth or latitude to shoot flat. If you lower the contrast you're just clipping the shadow and highlights, not getting any more DR. For all these 8bit low DR sensors, you're best to set in camera, minimal post.

But hey, everybody nowadays loves the Sony 8bit slog, heavily clipped un-gradable footage, so you may as well do the same on the Osmo.
2016-4-1
Use props
caseycolomb
New

United States

rj74@me.com Posted at 2016-4-1 20:50
With the Osmo, any post adjustment is destructive, the he Osmo just doesn't have the bit depth or  ...

Wait, when you take the contrast away it also decreases clipping.
2016-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules