Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Thread for Newbies
311603 916 2014-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

b.rad.7287 Posted at 2015-10-25 07:48
Hi there.  I'm having the same problem with my P3P, no video feed.  I get all my other telemetry j ...

If you have done all the suggestions I have made in the above post then I think I am out of ideas. If I do think of something or find more info in my research I will post it here you you.

Dave
2015-10-26
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United States

Woohoo!  The wait is over.
FEDEX just delivered my Inspire 1!
Will start getting it set up tonight and into some sim flight soonest.
Taking it slow and easy.
2015-10-27
Use props
petevandra
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6939 ft
  • >>>
Australia

SixtyMike Posted at 2015-10-28 06:10
Woohoo!  The wait is over.
FEDEX just delivered my Inspire 1!
Will start getting it set up tonight a ...

Good luck "sixtyMike".  I know you'll really, really enjoy it provided you read everything and follow all the instructions to the letter - and if you get into trouble when flying then don't panic - take your time and think the problem thru for a solution. Unless it's a catastrophic failure, your gal will just sit in the sky and wait for the correct command from you.
The above has worked for me - I'm up to about 120  flights over 8 months and so far have never looked like crashing mine.
2015-10-27
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United States

Thanks Pete, great advice!  Understand on "don't panic" and thinking through for a solution.
2015-10-28
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Yep, "don't panic" is very good advice. It can happen to new and veteran pilots alike.

Dave
2015-10-28
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United Arab Emirates

Unpacked and charged it all last night.  Downloaded, powered up, and updated everything this evening.  No issues whatsoever.  Running it with a mini Ipad 4.  Just finished a batteries' worth of simulator time.  This is going to be way too much fun!
More to go before I venture out for real.  
2015-10-28
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Thanks Mike,

It is a lot of fun! I have been doing it so long that sometimes I forget that. Its a post like yours that reminds me to go out and fly and just have some fun while getting my pics and vid.

Dave
2015-10-31
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-10-31 10:43
Thanks Mike,

It is a lot of fun! I have been doing it so long that sometimes I forget that. Its a p ...

Just filmed a commercial with it yesterday.  Outstanding bit of gear (except for the audio)  VERY well designed, set up was easy. Video quality excellent.  I'm very pleased.  DJI did their homework on this one!
2015-10-31
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United Arab Emirates

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-10-31 13:43
Thanks Mike,

It is a lot of fun! I have been doing it so long that sometimes I forget that. Its a p ...

Yes, definitely looking forward to getting it up and out of dreamworld when the time is right. Have done quite a bit of sim the last few nights.  Atti with winds is about all I'm practicing now.  Also working the the app pages, sub-pages and functions.  
Have recce'd a few places to fly as well.
2015-10-31
Use props
stevensjack113
New

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-10-15 00:59
have a look at this thread...
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=29857

Thanks for link, I got it updated  and It was a total ID10T error
2015-11-4
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-10-31 12:43
Thanks Mike,

First flights today!
Really warm and foggy this morning on the Georgia coast, but it burned off rapidly.  Light winds and clear skies prevailed.  Got some chores done while my my three batteries charged to 100%.  Cal'd the IMU in the yard and drove 5 minutes to our community field for my first flight.  Set it all up, did a compass cal, verified settings, checked values, and started her up in beginner mode for my first go.  Very impressive!  Second flight in the same area, but took her out of beginner mode.  

Flying the sim for many hours this past week+ has really paid off.  Atti mode-no problems.  Getting the hang of "reverse control" as well.  Tried autoland once, it wasn't graceful, hands-on for me from here out.  

Third battery-Took her up to a couple hundred feet over the trees for some long racetracks.  Older dude with his grandson watched all three flights and mentioned to my wife and I that he was thinking of getting a new car for his wife, but might just get a drone instead!  We laughed.

Got home and immediately started charging the batteries.  Got two fully charged and took her out for a couple spins as the sun was going down.  It was a beautiful, still evening over the salt marsh at high tide.  Took some stills of the neighborhood and video over the marsh and river.  

It was a great start.  Good times and more to come.  
2015-11-7
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-10-31 09:51
Just filmed a commercial with it yesterday.  Outstanding bit of gear (except for the audio)  VERY  ...

It is very gratifying making some money with It.
2015-11-7
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

SixtyMike Posted at 2015-11-7 21:01
First flights today!
Really warm and foggy this morning on the Georgia coast, but it burned off ra ...

Sounds like you are doing everything right. I wish more guys did this, we would have less problems if they did.
Very glad to hear you are off to such a good start.
2015-11-7
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-11-7 22:16
Sounds like you are doing everything right. I wish more guys did this, we would have less problems  ...

Thanks Dave.  Looking forward to better weather in a few days and more opportunities to fly.

For me, it's trust, but verify. Situational awareness is key.  Definitely had to modify my OODA loop as related to my real job.  

On a side note, I talked with some Coast Guard helo pilots about their local operations and how low they flew around my a/o.  Down to 300' over the water and marsh areas.  50' for specific training at times.

Also have to watch for the county mosquito sprayer in the MD 500.

Hear, see and avoid.
2015-11-9
Use props
dencuga
New
Bosnia and Herzegovina

HI folks !

I am new proud owner of Phantom 3 Advanced.
I have a few questions.
I understand the differences between ADV and PRO version - video resolution and battery charging speed.
But photo, stills ? Are there any, I mean, any differences ?
You know why I ask ? I noticed that photos from my ADV are not so clear .. lack od sharpness and the presence of noise.
Is it normal ? Does anybody have that statement, that photo made with this camera are not so good as expected ?
I do not have any complains about video and flight capabilities .. only photo :-/

2015-11-9
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

SixtyMike Posted at 2015-11-9 08:47
Thanks Dave.  Looking forward to better weather in a few days and more opportunities to fly.

Fo ...

Wow they said they fly as low as 50'? That is crazy.
I have been flying my Phantom when a fire/rescue helo came buzzing my area. He was at about 250' and I heard him comming for a good long time, long enough to have time to bring my Phantom down to about 50'.
2015-11-9
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

dencuga Posted at 2015-11-9 10:57
HI folks !

I am new proud owner of Phantom 3 Advanced.

The photo quality between the ADV and the PRO is the same.
You might have something wrong with your camera settings or maybe and hopefully not, but something could be wrong with your camera.

Dave
2015-11-9
Use props
mclld
New
Flight distance : 630997 ft
United States

I am new to drones and I came across the Phantom 2 v 2.0 on craigslist for $250, I couldn't pass it up.  I went home and after watching a youtube video showing the basic's was flying in minutes, this thing is awesome.  I however have crashed it into a limb in my yard.  After I started it back up it flew off again out of my control and crashed in my yard.   It will pass the first calibration test but when I turn it vertical it never will.   When I crashed it one of the blades was rubbing on the body so I have not flown it since, it also broke the tip off another blade.  I ordered a new set. I have taken it apart, looking for any loose connections.
I downloaded the software on my desktop, I have not changed anything.  Can you tell by looking if I need to change anything?

2015-11-10
Use props
Mordorr
lvl.2

Portugal

Why can a answer a post?

newbie question....
2015-11-10
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

mclld Posted at 2015-11-10 05:20
I am new to drones and I came across the Phantom 2 v 2.0 on craigslist for $250, I couldn't pass it  ...

Your setting look fine.

You said "when I turn it vertical it never will".
Are you holding the Phantom nose down? It needs to be nose down to get the compass calibration to work.
2015-11-10
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Mordorr Posted at 2015-11-10 13:52
Why can a answer a post?

newbie question....

To answer someones post you need to hit the reply button first then type what you want to say.
2015-11-10
Use props
mclld
New
United States

The compass lights will flash green once, then  one of the lights will flash red 3 times and the other one will not flash at all and the pattern will repeat.  yes I am holding the nose down.  I had the blades off and started the motors and I had it in hand and it tilted over, the motors speed up by themselves.  Is this normal?  I am guessing it is how it would try to level itself when in flight
2015-11-10
Use props
mclld
New
United States

I also noticed when I first start the motors and push up on the left stick a little it will come back down in speed on its own but if I push it up much higher the speeed stays igh until I push down on it, is this normal?  I also have to extra plus coming out of the drone body where the compass cable comes out, what do these plug in to?
2015-11-10
Use props
Mordorr
lvl.2

Portugal

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-11-11 07:09
To answer someones post you need to hit the reply button first then type what you want to say.

Wrong.

Some post im not allowed to answer....something to do with points?
2015-11-11
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Mordorr Posted at 2015-11-11 09:22
Wrong.

Some post im not allowed to answer....something to do with points?

Not sure about that. Must be something new or you are being blocked for some reason I do not know of.
2015-11-12
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United Arab Emirates

Newb notes.

13 flights so far with no worries.  All but the first three over the salt marsh.  One fully charged battery per flight.  Check/cal the compass, check mod values, verify sats, battery cell levels, and status prior to going feet wet.  Always perform hover checks as well.  About like my real job.  Have taken her out to 1000m on the furthest flight, but alway vigilant on how much juice is left.  Confident, but very careful.  The last few minutes of flight are most always closeby doing Atti practice.  It sure is loads of fun!

I'm taking video and stills every flight and fine tuning skills, exposure settings, filters, etc.  Mostly long straight "salt marsh" runs in the evenings and mornings at varying altitudes and speeds.  Was an idiot and forgot to reset the gimbal yaw on a couple of flights.  Gimbal roll adjustments are de jour.

Everyone likes it, but I did get my first "hater" this evening at our community boat dock (in my avatar background).  A grumpy old woman showed up after I started flying and complained about me ruining the "evening serenity".  Was at least 100m from her as I flew up and down the river on one flight.  Ironically, she didn't notice the numerous military helos flying overhead at 1000'.  Was going to suggest where and how she could find some serenity, but my kids were with me so I was nice.  She left all pissed off.

Count me as a happy owner.  Off to the inland parts of Georgia this weekend for some fun in the country.  Will do some flying as well.  Need to scout some property from above.

2015-11-12
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Good to hear it. Glad you're enjoying your new Phantom. There will always be haters here and there but likely they are far and few between.
2015-11-14
Use props
ecriscit
New

United States

noob checking in.  Got my phantom 3 standard at sams club saturday, had it out and flying it yesterday.  Wow, those batteries don't last long, and does it ever drain the battery on my phone quickly.  

So, what do you do with your phones, run extra batteries?  I already ordered a spare battery for the phantom as 15 minutes of flight just isn't good enough.  Can I keep it in practice mode and still do the waypoint and follow me?
It seems fairly straightforward, and I have a several acre field to practice in.  My kid flew it already too.
2015-11-17
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

ecriscit Posted at 2015-11-17 15:31
noob checking in.  Got my phantom 3 standard at sams club saturday, had it out and flying it yesterd ...

You should be getting more than 15 min on your flight battery. Should be around 25 min as per this document. That said most people have more than one flight battery.
http://www.dji.com/products/compare-phantom

Most guys use a iPad and that has much better battery life than your phone.

Good to hear you and your kid are enjoying your Phantom. I enjoy sharing my Phantom with my son also.

Dave
2015-11-18
Use props
ecriscit
New

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-11-18 23:51
You should be getting more than 15 min on your flight battery. Should be around 25 min as per this  ...

I have the standard, any recommendation for getting an Ipad to fit in that holder?  It doesn't look like it would expand far enough.  The pro and adv versions have a nicer mount for the phone/tablet.
2015-11-19
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

ecriscit Posted at 2015-11-19 16:30
I have the standard, any recommendation for getting an Ipad to fit in that holder?  It doesn't loo ...

You could get a iPad holder that looks like this. Then glue a stiff foam block to the back of it. Then use the holder to grip the block that is glued to the back of it.
DSC_7278.jpg
2015-11-19
Use props
ecriscit
New

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-11-19 21:53
You could get a iPad holder that looks like this. Then glue a stiff foam block to the back of it. T ...

Thank you.  I just bought some high density foam to reconfigure a surplus military pelican hardig case for the PHantom.  Looks like I will now be able to use the extra for something else.  Now, if the winds would just die down for a day or two next week I could practice a little more.
2015-11-22
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Your welcome.
2015-11-23
Use props
Aaron.truckenbr
New

United States

Does anyone know if an IPad Mini will fit the standard controller or not?
2015-12-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Aaron.truckenbr Posted at 2015-12-1 11:00
Does anyone know if an IPad Mini will fit the standard controller or not?

It will not but you can do a easy mod like I posted above to get it to work.
2015-12-1
Use props
Aaron.truckenbr
New

United States

Perfect thanks dave.
2015-12-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

You also could install an inspire device mount to your P3standard transmitter. I have seen some guys do this but it would take a little mod work.

2015-12-1
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341355 ft
  • >>>
United States

2015-12-4
Use props
tman52748
New

United States

Newbie here, just received my P3P.  I was wondering if my ipad mini 1 would work with it.  From what I've read everyone states no, but I downloaded the DJI Go app on my ipad mini, and it appears to be working.  I don't want to risk it, so just a quick check to see if anyone else has had success.
2015-12-8
Use props
jpferry315
New
Flight distance : 18619 ft
United States

New Phantom 3 standard owner here. I have 8 flights that where seamless. I have taken still photo and shot video. Really easy to fly with pinpoint landing using the auto land. Basic question about S1 and S2 switch. Where should they be during basic flight. They are both in the middle position and it flys no problem. Thanks
2015-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules