Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Do I have to notify Heliports?
12493 8 2016-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ISA AYDIN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 504692 ft
  • >>>
United States

•                                                         Hi,
    I want to fly my drone in Hoboken, New Jersey. I checked the planner on B4UFLY (FAA APP) and it shows me a lot of warning zones which are all HELIPORTS. Do I have to notify HELIPORTS? Accoridng to FAA manual published on AMA's website, I do not have to notify them, as I have to notify only airports within 3 mi, and not to interfere with operations of heliport and airport.

Am I wrong?

Model aircraft pilots will:
    (a) Yield the right of way to all human-carrying aircraft.

•                                                                         (b)  See and avoid all aircraft and a spotter must be used when appropriate. (AMA Document #540-D.)

•                                                                         (c)  Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator.

•                                                                         (d)  Not interfere with operations and traffic patterns at any airport, heliport or seaplane base except where there is a mixed use agreement.

•                                                                         (e)  Not exceed a takeoff weight, including fuel, of 55 pounds unless in compliance with the AMA Large Model Airplane program. (AMA Document 520-A.)

B4UFLY Planner

B4UFLY Planner

Warnings

Warnings
2016-4-1
Use props
ISA AYDIN
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

No replies at all? That scares me, cause it means that people do not care about regulations at all (
2016-4-11
Use props
Damager
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9052 ft
United States

Or they just don't know the answer.  I asked a similar question about a month ago, and was advised to use other Ios programs for maps like Drone Buddy.  I have a Hospital heliport within 3 miles of where I fly, but I do not think (based on my reading) that I'm required to notify them for every flight.  
2016-4-11
Use props
leorvasquez
lvl.3
United States

I do not notify them. I am in Arlington, TX and surrounded by them it seems like. But if I see or hear one, I will bring my P3 down safely and yield to them. But no, I don't contact them. :-)
2016-4-11
Use props
ISA AYDIN
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

The thing is, I checked FAA's regulations on the FAA site and on AMA website, and it says we have to notify airports and yield to heliport traffic: You can find it below:

(a) Yield the right of way to all human-carrying aircraft.
(b) See and avoid all aircraft and a spotter must be used when appropriate. (AMA Document #540-D.)
(c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator.
(d) Not interfere with operations and traffic patterns at any airport, heliport or seaplane base except where there is a mixed use agreement.
(e) Not exceed a takeoff weight, including fuel, of 55 pounds unless in compliance with the AMA Large Model Airplane program. (AMA Document 520-A.)
(f) Ensure the aircraft is identified with the name and address or AMA number of the owner on the inside or affixed to the outside of the model aircraft. (This
does not apply to model aircraft flown indoors.)
(g) Not operate aircraft with metal-blade propellers or with gaseous boosts except for helicopters operated under the provisions of AMA Document #555.
(h) Not operate model aircraft while under the influence of alcohol or while using any drug that could adversely affect the pilot’s ability to safely control the
model.
(i) Not operate model aircraft carrying pyrotechnic devices that explode or burn, or any device which propels a projectile or drops any object that creates a
hazard to persons or property.
Exceptions:
 Free Flight fuses or devices that burn producing smoke and are securely attached to the model aircraft during flight.
 Rocket motors (using solid propellant) up to a G-series size may be used provided they remain attached to the model during flight. Model rockets may
be flown in accordance with the National Model Rocketry Safety Code but may not be launched from model aircraft.
 Officially designated AMA Air Show Teams (AST) are authorized to use devices and practices as defined within the Team AMA Program Document.
(AMA Document #718.)
(j) Not operate a turbine-powered aircraft, unless in compliance with the AMA turbine regulations. (AMA Document #510-A.)

So ones again, what is preventing us from flying near GWB for example?

AMA Model Aircraft Safety Code.pdf

108.69 KB, Down times: 3

AMA

FAA Model Aircraft Operations.pdf

93.37 KB, Down times: 7

FAA

2016-4-11
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.4

leorvasquez Posted at 2016-4-12 04:31
I do not notify them. I am in Arlington, TX and surrounded by them it seems like. But if I see or he ...

This^

I'm out of Dallas and have flown around Arlington. I don't notify them in either city but always yield right away when I see or hear one...usually lower down around 10 ft until they pass or land if they stick around.
2016-4-11
Use props
dhoudyshell
lvl.1

United States

Did anyone ever find an answer to this about flying close to heliports? The B4UFLY app from the FAA says I have to notify the heliport every time I'm within 5 miles of one. I guess they're considering the heliport an airport. Also, my phantom 4 now pops up that my drone CANNOT TAKEOFF when I'm around heliports also. Just curious if anyone found anything out. Lastly, I was wondering if anyone knows if it's illegal to fly over roads with moving cars. Everyone argues with me that you can, but I swear I read somewhere in the provisions that you can't do that. Personally, to me, it doesn't make sense that you can't fly over people, but I could fly over an interstate where the potential for damage is way higher.

I'm revising my question to wondering if you're a licensed remote pilot if you have to notify the heliports. I found this on the FAA website, but it asks about flying recreationally.

Do I have to notify all airports within five miles of where I want to fly recreationally?
Yes, you must contact any airports (including heliports and sea-based airports) and air traffic control towers within five miles of your proposed area of operations if flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95, Section 336).
2017-1-4
Use props
Jetpilot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70748 ft
United States

I think there is a misunderstanding of the regulations. There is not a regulation that requires notification of every airport and heliport near you.  The notification requirements are attached to "Airspace" or more correctly, "Controlled Airspace"  The actual FAR on flying near airports or heliports is this":

107.43   Operation in the vicinity of airports.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in a manner that interferes with operations and traffic patterns at any airport, heliport, or seaplane base.

The notification requirements is more of a clearance than a notification.  It applies to manned and unmanned aircraft operating in Class A, B, C and D airspace.  These airspace classifications
are clearly defined on aeronautical charts and include a distance, Ceiling (top of airspace) and Floor (bottom of airspace-often being the surface)  Class D airspace typically extends 5 miles from an airport with an "Operating" control tower and up to 2500 feet above the ground.  Most heliports do not have any type of control tower so there is no class D airspace associated with them.  Class C and B airspace are much larger distances from airports but as you proceed further from the center the airspace starts to have a floor that is higher than the surface (typically starting at 700-5000 feet depending on the location and distance from center) Class C and B airspace are associated with larger airports or metro areas with Class B in the larger cities and extending up to 30 miles or more from center.

If you do not fully understand the airspace you are flying in you are not, however, complying with the preflight regulation, listed below

§107.49   Preflight familiarization, inspection, and actions for aircraft operation.
Prior to flight, the remote pilot in command must:
(a) Assess the operating environment, considering risks to persons and property in the immediate vicinity both on the surface and in the air. This assessment must include:
(1) Local weather conditions;
(2) Local airspace and any flight restrictions;
(3) The location of persons and property on the surface; and
(4) Other ground hazards.
(b) Ensure that all persons directly participating in the small unmanned aircraft operation are informed about the operating conditions, emergency procedures, contingency procedures, roles and responsibilities, and potential hazards;
(c) Ensure that all control links between ground control station and the small unmanned aircraft are working properly;
(d) If the small unmanned aircraft is powered, ensure that there is enough available power for the small unmanned aircraft system to operate for the intended operational time; and
(e) Ensure that any object attached or carried by the small unmanned aircraft is secure and does not adversely affect the flight characteristics or controllability of the aircraft
2017-1-5
Use props
1dash1
lvl.1

United States

Jetpilot Posted at 2017-1-5 13:01
I think there is a misunderstanding of the regulations. There is not a regulation that requires notification of every airport and heliport near you.  The notification requirements are attached to "Airspace" or more correctly, "Controlled Airspace"  The actual FAR on flying near airports or heliports is this":

107.43   Operation in the vicinity of airports.

I know that you're familiar with this, but for the general reader's additional information:

107.41 Operation in certain airspace.

No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).

For recreational flyers, PL 112-95 governs.

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a) In General- Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if--
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).

Bottom line:   If you're flying commercially, Section 107 applies and there usually is no notification required for heliports (as Jetpilot explained).   If you're flying recreationally, PL 112-95 applies and there is a notification requirement for all airports within 5 miles, including heliports and sea-based airports. *

* See FAQ No. 6, FAA - Flying For Fun:  https://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/
2017-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules