Silly Question for one of the DJI Folks: P3P & Active Track
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

This is perhaps a silly question:  Will, and is it possible for, DJI to implement Active Tracking in the P3P in the future- possibly with firmware and software updates.  This seems to be one of P4's [many] new, nifty features, and it would seem to be something that could lend itself to the P3P platform as well.  This would be especially useful to those of us who purchased our very first UAV & P3P during the last week, and who therefore do not envision replacing this great quad any time in the immediate future... even with another great quad ;) .
2016-4-1
Use props
ruidasilva46
lvl.2
Flight distance : 469649 ft
  • >>>
Colombia

Good question. i'm wondering about the same
2016-4-1
Use props
DillPickleAdil
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184577 ft
Canada

I'm pretty sure that takes advantage of the new sensors. Not completely sure though.
2016-4-1
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

Active track or variations of it is now available in apps like Litchi and Vertical.  Works flawless in both but you still have control of the movement.
2016-4-1
Use props
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

dacofty Posted at 2016-4-1 09:27
Active track or variations of it is now available in apps like Litchi and Vertical.  Works flawless  ...

"... Works flawless in both but you still have control of the movement."

Thanks; Actually, I had come across the mention of Vertical Studio last week, and checked it out at the Google Play store.  Some reviewers indicated that it seems to present glitches, and to work in a more rudimentary fashion than does P4's integrated system.  Will certainly give it another look though.

https://play.google.com/store/ap ... .tracker3&hl=en

2016-4-1
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Very impressed on the work they are doing so far.
2016-4-1
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

CaptRuss Posted at 2016-4-1 09:41
"... Works flawless in both but you still have control of the movement."

Thanks; Actually, I had  ...

I  would read the reviews on the P4 as well, its system has the same issues that the others face.  I wouldnt call it issues but if the subject moves to the right or left extremely fast the apps search around for the target.  Sometimes it reacquires sometimes it doesnt.  But it works extremely well,  i havent tested Litchi side by side with Vertical yet but Vertical has added their version of a obsticule avoidance by letting you see a map and then drawing a line where you want it not to let the drone go, so if you hae a patch of tress just draw a circle around the patch and the drone will not go near the trees.  it isnt the p4 but it works for the P3 owners very well
2016-4-1
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

It is possible from a technical perspective. You can infact already get apps that work with the software based feature tracking using a phantom 3.

But will DJI go release that capability for P3 owners like they are offering to P4 owners? I doubt it.

Its just like DJI Go's implementation of waypoints. They don't care what you think. They do it their way. In this case, them not releasing feature tracking on P3 is probably to improve the perceived value of P4. Also, because P4 has the obstacle avoidance feature in the front, they might argue only that one is capable (which will be nonsense).

Again, technically it is possible. But I doubt they will let P3 owners have it on DJI Go.
2016-4-1
Use props
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

quaddron3 Posted at 2016-4-1 12:18
It is possible from a technical perspective. You can infact already get apps that work with the soft ...

I agree with you; however, as the P4 has many [new] features, advancements and advantages besides Active Tracking versus the previous P3P model, I suspect that it will remain attractive to prospective buyers regardless of whether or not the earlier [P3P] model shares one, or even several, of those features .  Again, for me, the addition of one of those features, Active Tracking, to the P3P would not be a [sole] deciding factor had I been considering a new P4 and, more importantly, had I not purchased a P3P just a few days ago.  The P4 differs from the P3P in many respects.  Hopefully, one of the DJI folks will jump in here with their thoughts.
2016-4-1
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

CaptRuss Posted at 2016-4-1 12:47
I agree with you; however, as the P4 has many [new] features, advancements and advantages besides  ...

I agree that the P4 on its own has a lot of added value.

For one they have double the IMU sensors on board for double redunancy and averaging. So it should be more stable and error prone. There is front obstacle avoidance which is good. And it looks a hell of a lot better among other things. I definitely prefer P4 over P3, although my wallet disagreed.

But, this isn't about the value of the P4. Back onto the topic about the feature tracking being released on the P3 though, I don't think they will do it. Lets just wait and see. But I am not holding my breath for that one.
2016-4-1
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

quaddron3 Posted at 2016-4-1 12:55
I agree that the P4 on its own has a lot of added value.

For one they have double the IMU sensors  ...

To each their own,  I am not so sure that the sales of the P4 have came anywhere close to the P3 launch sales, but then again I dont have that info.
2016-4-1
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

dacofty Posted at 2016-4-1 13:01
To each their own,  I am not so sure that the sales of the P4 have came anywhere close to the P3 l ...

It's the early adopters and once they buy their product their appetite is satisfied for a while.

Most people got the P3. And the P4, while good, is not a dramatic bump. For most folks that own the P3, they may not be compelled to buy the P4. I know I'm not.

Maybe when they release 360 deg obstacle avoidance. Or include Lidar. Or have 360 deg PZT gimbal and a dedicated front facing wide angle camera for FPV. Maybe 1 hour battery life. Maybe night vision or thermal imaging on board.

I need something tangible to compel me to upgrade. P4 looks good but it is not compelling me to pay a lot more for it. But if you don't already own a P3, maybe the P4 looks good to you.
2016-4-1
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

quaddron3 Posted at 2016-4-1 13:13
It's the early adopters and once they buy their product their appetite is satisfied for a while.

M ...

I agree, im interested in the Typhoon H but im gonna wait and let others debug it.
2016-4-1
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

dacofty Posted at 2016-4-1 13:34
I agree, im interested in the Typhoon H but im gonna wait and let others debug it.

Thing that annoys me with the Yuneec products is their lack of smart phone integration and autonomous controls. Specifically waypoints.

Otherwise the Yuneec looked really good. I was that close to getting it. That was the one deal breaker for me that made me get the P3 - the autonomous functions and smart phone integration.

And it doesn't seem like Yuneec has plans to allow autonomous groundstation waypoints control for their products (not that DJI does either but at least they allow it in the API for other developers). Their controller design (not the Typhoon H) with the screen on the bottom is also a little wacky.

Otherwise, yeah the Typhoon H looks good as does their Q500 looking quads.
2016-4-1
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

From my own test, the Magic Leash on Litchi works well up to bike/sail speed. I haven't tested on car, because for that i can be inside the car with the remote.
Vertical works up to bikes, even if the bike moves too fast it lost the track of it. For downhill it works, but i preffer the magic leash.
2016-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules