Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello guys

I recently deleted a load of old pictures and video files on my micro SD card and have found the new files are recording with the same file name numbers used earlier.  This only happened after I cleared out the old files and is a pain when copying the files onto my laptop as files with the same file name already exist.

Is there a setting to keep all picture and video files names incrementing in sequence as they are taken?

Cheers,
Ian

2016-4-1
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes - on the Camera Screen, get into Camera MENU settings, then Tools (wrench symbol), scroll to bottom of Tools and you will see a setting for "File Index Mode."  If you set File Index Mode to "Reset," the file numbers will reset every time you format the micro SD card (or insert a blank micro SD card).  If you set File Index Mode to "Continuous", the File numbering sequence will continue to increment from the last number used if the card is blank (or the last file number on the current card if it has files on it).  

Note also in Tools, if you turn ON "Video Caption" the P4 will create a second small file with the extension .SRT with every MP4 or MOV file you record; this SRT file is a sub-title file that will display GPS coordinates, altitude, etc. on the bottom of your video screen if you have a video file player that can read it.
2016-4-1
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-4-1 20:08
Yes - on the Camera Screen, get into Camera MENU settings, then Tools (wrench symbol), scroll to bot ...

Perfect.  Thanks David.  I thought it would be similar to my digital camera but hadn't found the setting.
Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian
2016-4-1
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-4-1 15:08
Yes - on the Camera Screen, get into Camera MENU settings, then Tools (wrench symbol), scroll to bot ...

In my experience that only works until you get to "DJI_0999.JPG"
What I'd like to know is there any way to get the file numbers to increment to DJI_1001.JPG or DJI_2001.JPG, etc?

What I'm getting is new subdirectory under DCIM that increments to 101MEDIA or 102MEDIA and the file number in the subdirectors roll back to DJI_0001.JPG

P3A_FileNames.png
2016-4-21
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Just a comment Ian, on recent GO App upgrades for my P3P I have discovered the option "Continuous" automatically reset to "Reset". So keep an eye on it...
Have fun!
2016-4-22
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

Well dang, I just went old school to renumber the files -- the DOS prompt!

First, copy the files from the SD card to a temporary directory on your hard drive
(I use "c:\trash" because I tend to delete it when I'm done)

For windows
* Start-> Run-> CMD
* navigate to the trash directory that has the second block of files.
  "cd c:\trash"
  "dir" [to display the file names]

* using the "REN" function and some wildcards we will renumber the files from
  DJI_0001.JPG to DJI_1001.JPG
        all the way thru...
  DJI_0999.JPG to DJI_1999.JPG

* type the following "REN DJI_0???.JPG   DJI_1???.JPG" and then hit the Enter key

Ta-da!

DOS_FileRename.png
2016-4-23
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

awsome david, just the bit of info i needed

the srt file is quite cool to!
2017-6-15
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johnsr Posted at 2016-4-22 07:02
Just a comment Ian, on recent GO App upgrades for my P3P I have discovered the option "Continuous" automatically reset to "Reset". So keep an eye on it...
Have fun!

Yep!  I noticed that nice little touch... Always good to have updates stuff up your own settings..........
2017-6-15
Use props
fans751fe9ad
New
Flight distance : 42959 ft
New Zealand

This may help to run before copying the files from your SD card or when they're at the location where you store the files, it just a simple DOS .CMD file:

echo off
cls

REM YEAR:%date:~-4,4%
REM DATE:%date:~4,2%
REM MONTH:%date:~7,2%

REM Set your Location of the file to read here are some example of a local drive and network location
set LOC=F:\DCIM\100MEDIA
set LOC=\\NAS01\Public\Media\Video\Drone\DJI-MavicPro

REM This will rename the file (and other files) in %LOC%\DJI_0001.* as DJI_20171201_0001.*
dir /B %LOC%\DJI_????.* > \\NAS01\Public\Media\Video\Drone\DJI-MavicPro\files.txt
FOR /F "tokens=1,2,3 delims==_" %%A IN (\\NAS01\Public\Media\Video\Drone\DJI-MavicPro\files.txt) DO REN %LOC%\DJI_%%B DJI_%date:~-4,4%%date:~7,2%%date:~4,2%_%%B

2017-12-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I like to highlight the file while it's on the SD card, tap the F2 key, rename it to the current date/time/AC (eg. DJI_20171201PM_P3P.  Then copy and save to my desktop HD.  
2017-12-1
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Well another option would be to do a batch rename once you load the pics onto the PC. This allows you to have a unique name assigned to the photos/videos from each flight.
2017-12-1
Use props
djiuser_DD4Bvy8Y4hvu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15764 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, new to DJI and new to drones but loving it so much! This is my first forum post!!

My initial question was answered by this thread, but I was wondering if there was a way to replace the locally cached files that are taken from the video feed during flight and saved to my mobile device with the actual full quality clips taken on the drones itself and saved to the inserted SD card?

Thanks
2018-2-12
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Welcome aboard!  A little off-topic, but the ony way I can think of doing what you're after is to hook your phone up to your PC or laptop and transfer them.  There's no way to wirelessly move them from the Mavic's SD card to your phone.

Cheers
Ian
2018-2-12
Use props
BIC2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12631 ft
United States

Back to Post #4. Has that proposed change ever been implemented to stop repeating filenames every 1000 files? Thanks.
2018-10-27
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

gil Posted at 2016-4-23 02:42
Well dang, I just went old school to renumber the files -- the DOS prompt!

First, copy the files from the SD card to a temporary directory on your hard drive

As an old DOS user ... I ask why you go to such extreme ?

In Windows explorer ... navigate to the SD card  and files ... highlight them all making sure first file highlighted is first in list ... right click <rename>

Choose whatever file name you like ... I usually name based on the flight taken ... ie "DJI P3P test over river"
Press enter and all files will get that name with an incremental number in brackets ...

Simple.

Nigel
2018-10-27
Use props
Gil
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 10-27 09:03
As an old DOS user ... I ask why you go to such extreme ?

In Windows explorer ... navigate to the SD card  and files ... highlight them all making sure first file highlighted is first in list ... right click

Umm, were you aware I made that post back in 2016?

But OK, sure... with the windows OS there's at least 3 different ways to do something.

2018-11-23
Use props
djiuser_n6LPfBz7kPvm
lvl.1

Gil Posted at 2018-11-23 04:06
Umm, were you aware I made that post back in 2016?

But OK, sure... with the windows OS there's at least 3 different ways to do something.

One note here ...
With my file numbering mode set to "Continuous" on my Mavic 2 Zoom I simply recorded a small video file, shut down the drone, put the card in my computer and renumbered the file to what number I wanted to start at.  When I put the card back in the drone the next video file started at the number past the number on the SD card, effectively setting the file number counter to what I wanted.
2019-10-1
Use props
DroneNeophyte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1131726 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi, I got a Mavic Mini and I'm wondering if it is possible to reset the sequencing on the Mavic Mini. I deleted 500 photos but everytime I take a video or picture now, it sequences that video or photo at 500. Is it possible to reset the sequencing for the DJI Mavic Mini?
2020-7-16
Use props
GabrielSaraband
New

Portugal

I am amazed how we buy a mavic pro and it comes with factory settings to renumber the files from zero. starts recording files over existing files ...
2020-7-26
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DroneNeophyte Posted at 7-16 12:45
Hi, I got a Mavic Mini and I'm wondering if it is possible to reset the sequencing on the Mavic Mini. I deleted 500 photos but everytime I take a video or picture now, it sequences that video or photo at 500. Is it possible to reset the sequencing for the DJI Mavic Mini?

If you want to force the mini to start from 1 or maybe 0 then copy a photo to the card and change its name to DJI_0999.jpg. The next photo or video will be DJI_0000.xyz or DJI_0001.xyz in the new folder 101MEDIA etc. and outlined in post 5.

@GabrielSaraband are you sure a Mavic Pro over writes existing files? Generally any camera I have used will write a new image to the highest numbered name +1

2020-8-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

GabrielSaraband Posted at 7-26 09:28
I am amazed how we buy a mavic pro and it comes with factory settings to renumber the files from zero. starts recording files over existing files ...

Then don't leave your images stored on the SD card.
Copy them to your computer.
And if you look in your app settings, you'll find the option to have your camera start from 0001 each flight or continue to 0999.
File Index Mode - Reset or Continuous
2020-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules