Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Question about installing GS and maps
3177 26 2015-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
birdfolk5555
lvl.4

United States

I have the Phantom 2 Vision (no plus) and I want to install  the Groundstation app and also I'd like to be able to "Find My Phantom," but I don't know how to put these features on my smartphone.  My smartphone doesn't have cell service---just a wifi connection.  Can I somehow transfer them from my computer to my phone, or is this the wrong approach?  Am I supposed to download them to my computer and then plug in the Phantom?  Where are the instructions for installing these applications?
2015-1-12
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.3

United States

The user manual explains the installation
2015-1-12
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.4

United States

Gunny Huntarr Posted at 2015-1-13 13:05
The user manual explains the installation

No, it doesn't. Where exactly does the user manual tell me how to activate and install maps so the Find My Phantom feature will work?  
Also, I plugged my Phantom into my computer over a month ago----downloaded everything it told me to. Upgraded all firmware----yet, the GS AP appears to not be functional.
2015-1-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

This is in the Phantom 2 manual
Phantom 2 Vision User Manual (EN) v1.6

12.6 GROUND STATION .......................................................................................................................................... 55
12.6.1 Ground Station GUI ...................................................................................................................................... 56
12.6.2 Using Ground Station .................................................................................................................................... 58
2015-1-12
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.4

United States

I don't have any maps on my phone. How can I use GS without a map? The instructions you're referring to----have you actually looked at them?  There is nothing there to help you if all you see is a white screen when you slide the GS app into position. They simply tell you to download it.  Well, I did that, but without any maps on my phone, what's the use?   Where does it tell me how to download a map of my flight area? Is it assuming I already have that shit on my phone>
2015-1-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

birdfolk5555 Posted at 2015-1-13 13:42
I don't have any maps on my phone. How can I use GS without a map? The instructions you're referring ...

Go to google maps, bring up the area you want, then save it to your phone,  It will be cashed to the memory of your phone.  You have to have the capability to connect to the internet by wifi to do that.  there is no sense in using foul language here.  We're just here to try to help.
2015-1-12
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.4

United States

Assume I have to drive 30 miles to find free wifi.  Okay, then I access Google maps and download...what? How do I do that?   Where does it tell me to do that? Where does it tell me HOW to do that?  Do I need to bring my remote and Phantom with me when I go find a wifi connection?   Do I have to have everything turned on before it will let me download a map?  Where does it tell me, exactly, step by step, how to do all of this? The manual is USELESS for someone like me---a person who doesn't know a smartphone from a hole in the ground. PS  GERRY sorry I offended your delicate eyes.  I know you're merely trying to help.   I appreciate the effort you put in----but often your advice is woefully incomplete.
2015-1-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

birdfolk5555 Posted at 2015-1-13 13:59
Assume I have to drive 30 miles to find free wifi.  Okay, then I access Google maps and download...w ...

Anything you might need to know is on youtube.com.  Just type in what you are looking for and there will be a video on the subject.
2015-1-12
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.3

United States

Obviously you need to be connected to the Internet to download maps.

A simple way to get the map in GS is open GS app. Go to the waypoint screen. It's the one you swipe to after your camera screen. Scroll to the area you wish to fly in. The map will cache to the software. Close GS software after loading.

Do not power off your mobile. It can sleep, but do not power it off, that will clear the cache.
2015-1-13
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.4

United States

Nobody has explained exactly what I'm supposed to download to my phone, and how.  Am I supposed to download the entire world into my phone? I plan on flying in Michigan.  Can I just download Michigan?  How? Where does it explain all of this? Don't say "read the manual." I will drive thirty miles to get a wifi connection... Then what? Nobody has explained a darn thing.
2015-1-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

birdfolk5555 Posted at 2015-1-14 01:38
Nobody has explained exactly what I'm supposed to download to my phone, and how.  Am I supposed to d ...

You find the area you will be flying in.  Do as the video says.  Most of the US map will be downloaded and saved on your phone to use when you want to do waypoint flying.  The video explains how to download and save the map.
2015-1-13
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.4

United States

Well, I managed to connect to the internet via wifi at Mcdonalds, but was unable to access the Playstore---I couldn't create an account.  Tried about fifty times to create a g-mail account but it wouldn't let me. Either every name was already taken or the passwords wouldn't match. Then I went to a BOOST MOBILE store and the lady tried to help---she had a strong wifi connection from the store right next to her..   She couldn't figure out how to create an account either. And she knew what she was doing.
I just wasted two hours.
2015-1-13
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.3

United States

Do you have the vision app installed?
If you don't, then you don't have to connect to the play store. The app is also here on dji website.http://www.dji.com/support
2015-1-13
Use props
Capt. Bill
Second Officer

United States

Go straight to DJI.com and download it there. That was the only way I could get it on a Nexus 7 or a Galaxy Tab S
2015-1-13
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.3

United States

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-1-14 07:04
Go straight to DJI.com and download it there. That was the only I could get it on a Nexus 7 or a Gal ...

That's why I linked him the website.  He doesn't need to get it from the play store. He could even scan the QR code on the side of the box and it'll take him straight there.
2015-1-13
Use props
Capt. Bill
Second Officer

United States

Gunny Huntarr Posted at 2015-1-14 07:07
That's why I linked him the website.  He doesn't need to get it from the play store. He could even  ...

Missed that Gunny but it was the only way to put it on a Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tag S. I believe you can run it on a lap top or desk top PC but need an Android emulator.
2015-1-13
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.3

United States

NP Capt,
I'm using a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 myself.  I grabbed the software direct from DJI also.  Heard that the play store only showed the app as a phone not for tablets. It also doesn't have a certification so he has to allow unknown publisher at least once for it to install.
2015-1-13
Use props
Capt. Bill
Second Officer

United States

Gunny Huntarr Posted at 2015-1-14 07:43
NP Capt,
I'm using a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 myself.  I grabbed the software direct from DJI also.  Heard t ...

I will use a Galaxy S 4 phone but I wanted the vision app on my Tab S 10.5 so I could better show it off at our next model airplane club meeting.
Very true about setting it to allow unknown publisher at least once for it to install.
2015-1-13
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.4

United States

Gunny Huntarr Posted at 2015-1-13 23:49
Obviously you need to be connected to the Internet to download maps.

A simple way to get the map in ...

Well, I managed to locate the tab allowing me to "cache" selected map for use offline.  It wasn't easy. Not one step of this process was easy.
Are you sure about turning off the phone---clearing the cache? If true, this seems truly messed-up. I can't take a chance on losing this map... I don't have internet out here to reload it---at least, not on this phone---so I have to take your word for it until I hear different.
2015-1-14
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.3

United States

I hope you understand what I mean when I say "off" as in powering down, like no phone calls kinda thing.  Sleep is the normal function where your screen turns off and you still have an active phone.
2015-1-14
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.4

United States

Gunny Huntarr Posted at 2015-1-15 09:47
I hope you understand what I mean when I say "off" as in powering down, like no phone calls kinda th ...

You're forgetting---I'm not using this as a cell phone. I bought the refurbished Samsung Galaxy S3 off of EBAY for one reason---the Phantom. They can take my flip-phone when I'm dead.
So naturally I'd like to be able to shut the thing off, especially considering I don't plan on flying the drone again until spring...lol.  (well, maybe one or two winter flights if I the sun ever comes back.)
Question---why can't that map be saved more permanently?
2015-1-14
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.3

United States

Just make sure you don't completely drain the mobile battery or reboot it. If your not flying till spring then download the maps before the flight.  
Long term map storage, Blame Google.  Their option to "save offline maps" does not store the SAT image all it stores is the Traffic road map which is probably not what you wanted.
Caching the map is the only way that you can get the pretty SAT image
2015-1-15
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.4

United States

Gunny Huntarr Posted at 2015-1-15 23:36
Just make sure you don't completely drain the mobile battery or reboot it. If your not flying till s ...

Thank you Huntarr, for your help. The video sure made it look easy, but it turned out to not be as helpful as simply stumbling upon a "Tips and Tricks" tab in the phone that told me step-by-step exactly how to "cache map for offline use."  Even then, having those simple, detailed instructions at my disposal---it still took another ten minutes to find the Cache tab. This was a maddening process for someone who hates smartphones. I have to admit, though, I am very pleased it's over and done and working. Map area is larger than I expected, or tried to save, so I guess I understand why it cant be stored more permanently. I like it. I have a map!
I guess I'll just keep the device turned on and plugged into my computer most of the time. lol---No biggie.  Thanks again, everybody.
2015-1-15
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.3

United States

Glad to help.  Enjoy your next flight.  You might take the opportunity to try the GS for a short waypoint leg.  It's kinda cool.  
2015-1-15
Use props
gil
Captain
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Just like you I am a recent convert from an Intellectually disabled flip phone to a smart phone myself and the sole reason I got it was to use with my Phantom s Vision+.  I discovered there was a heck of a learning curve trying to figure out all the bells, whistles and flashing lights.  I am so glad I didn't go around berating the people trying to help me when I was frustrated.

Now, I can't imagine driving 30 miles just to get WiFi.  I'm going to presume you have some kind of internet connection at home?  You can find any number of inexpensive routers with WiFi capabilities that would allow you to connect your smart phone to your internet connection.
2015-1-16
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.4

United States

gil Posted at 2015-1-16 18:29
Just like you I am a recent convert from an Intellectually disabled flip phone to a smart phone myse ...

Well, at first I glance, your response appears to be a holier-than-thou reprimand deliberately couched within a smattering of innocuous filler. If I'm wrong---sorry. So, you're suggesting I buy a wireless router and patch it though my computer's modem...? Just so I can keep the map on my phone? That's cheap, is it? I honestly don't know, having had less experience with these things than most.
2015-1-16
Use props
djiuser_evffuxGXONv4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 93921 ft
United Kingdom

Woah some of these old posts are a great read, you guys have a lot of patience to help people with this type of attitude.
1-11 05:01
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules