My Phantom 3 Advanced can NOT fly a straight line... Advice?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rain1dog
lvl.3

United States

My Phantom 3 A is 2 months old and been flown a total of 44.2 miles(DJI Go App stats) with ZERO crashes or hard falls.  I store it in the DJI Hardshell all the time.  I keep great care of it.

I recently calibrated the IMU, compass, and the remote.  I used a level to make sure the surface I used was perfectly level.  I calibrated the compass out in an open field.

When I fly forward the craft wants to "bounce" around slightly to the left or right and while going forward and "bouncing" left or right it slightly pulls to the right.  If I pull backwards and film in reverse it looks like the Phantom is on rails... It's perfect.

As soon as I go forward the video looks like a 7 year old learning to fly and film.  It's my first phantom that's ever done this.

Anyone ever have this happen?
2016-4-2
Use props
eldreds
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81545 ft
Australia

Only thing that comes to mind is to redo the compass calibration. When doing so, rotate the unit around its own axis (not around your body) to get the best outcome.

When you calibrated the IMU, do you also use the check IMU function?
2016-4-2
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The next time you have a calm day fly in ATTI mode and see if the flight is smoother.  If its smooth the machine is OK.  In GPS mode you may have to tweak the smoothness and gain settings to get the machine to settle down.
2016-4-2
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Maybe try a waypoint flight and observe if it displays the same issues.  If it does not,  then you almost have to suspect the issue is with the controller.  Then a controller calibration, and a look at the screen that displays gains to see if all the gain curves respond correctly,  or if they can be adjusted to tune out the issue.  Also, and this one is unlikely and probably a long shot, but you still have to check, Let someone else fly the drone to see if it has the same problem.   

If, during the waypoint flight it still does that,  then I would inspect the props and also make sure all the motors mount screws are tight and there is nothing on the drone that is inducing drag on one side in forward flight.
2016-4-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you tried calibrating the RC ?

'If' it were out of calibration then would be sending wrong commands to Phantom.
2016-4-3
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

eldreds Posted at 2016-4-3 13:40
Only thing that comes to mind is to redo the compass calibration. When doing so, rotate the unit aro ...

"redo the compass calibration. When doing so, rotate the unit around its own axis (not around your body) to get the best outcome. "
It makes no difference which way you go .. neither is better.
2016-4-3
Use props
Rain1dog
lvl.3

United States

Thanks everyone for all the replies!!
2016-4-3
Use props
Rain1dog
lvl.3

United States

I have always had the Phantom rotate around me when calibrating the compass.  Also when reading last night I read that you should have the nose/front of craft facing down when you do the 2nd 360.  I have always titled it on its side, the right side... With nose/front still pointing forwards. I will not rotate just the phantom and then nose forward.  I calibrated the IMU a week ago after I wrapped it in 3 bags and placed in the frig for 15 mins.  I was having to wait 1-2 mins for warm up, now as soon as I turn in I'm waiting on GPS signal.  I also bought a level to make sure the surface it was on was perfectly level.  I calibrated the IMU inside, is the IMU sensitive to electromagnetic interference?  I have calibrated my RC a few times.  It's odd if I fly it back wards it flies great... Going forward it's impossible to get a moving shot.
2016-4-3
Use props
Rain1dog
lvl.3

United States

Ok, I just calibrated the compass by rotating the craft in a 360, not while I spin my body in a 360 holding the craft.  Also I pointed the nose down for the 2nd part of the 360 rather than on its right side.  I also used a brand new set of DJI props and NOW it flies like its on rails going forward!!!  No idea how big of a help you all have been!!
2016-4-3
Use props
Rain1dog
lvl.3

United States

Thanks everyone for their time!
2016-4-3
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Rain1dog Posted at 2016-4-3 10:33
Ok, I just calibrated the compass by rotating the craft in a 360, not while I spin my body in a 360  ...

That is so kind of you to post what works after members took the time to give advise, so often a forum member takes the time to give there time and knowledge to members and never hear back to know if there suggestions worked  
so Rain 1 dog you are a keeper  on the forum !!!

cheers - donnie
2016-4-3
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

The manual says to point the nose down when doing the 2nd step of compass calibration, so that's what I've always done.  I don't know if it really makes a difference or not.
2016-4-3
Use props
eldreds
lvl.2
Australia

Totally disagree. I describe the best method to achieve calibration.
2016-4-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

eldreds Posted at 2016-4-9 12:28
Totally disagree. I describe the best method to achieve calibration.

Disagree all you like but there is no "best" method.
Either way works just the same.
When you are trying to expose the compass to the range it will experience in the earth's magnetic field, whether you rotate it on its own axis or hold it a metre out and turn is insignificant.
If you want to understand what it is all about .....
http://paperless.bheeb.ch/download/Calibration.pdf
2016-4-8
Use props
eldreds
lvl.2
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-9 12:48
Disagree all you like but there is no "best" method.
Either way works just the same.
When you are t ...

Still disagree, you have your opinion and I have mine. I understand perfectly, but do not need an external source to confirm it.
2016-4-18
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

eldreds Posted at 2016-4-18 22:17
Still disagree, you have your opinion and I have mine. I understand perfectly, but do not need an e ...

OK ... I'll play
Explain how and why your particular method is "better" and have you done any testing that backs up your opinion or is it just a feeling you have?
2016-4-18
Use props
eldreds
lvl.2
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-18 22:43
OK ... I'll play
Explain how and why your particular method is "better" and have you done any testi ...

Not interested in pissing contests. You have your opinion, I have mine to achieve optimum opportunity. END.
2016-4-18
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

eldreds Posted at 2016-4-18 22:59
Not interested in pissing contests. You have your opinion, I have mine to achieve optimum opportun ...

Thanks for your convincing explanation.

I disagree, I disagree ....
We'll be sure to ask you whenever we need anything else explained.
2016-4-18
Use props
eldreds
lvl.2
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-18 23:17
Thanks for your convincing explanation.

I disagree, I disagree ....

OK, whilst you were shaving fluff off your chin I was engaged in the operation of drones operating in excess of 1500 kgs and with operating speeds of around 1000 kmh.  That's why I don't have to engage in pissing contests with quad operators such as yourself.

I don't have to convince anyone, so go play with yourself! You have got me pissed off.
2016-4-18
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

eldreds Posted at 2016-4-18 23:35
OK, whilst you were shaving fluff off your chin I was engaged in the operation of drones operating ...

Now it's completely clear to me.
Thanks for taking the time to tell me more than just  .. I disagree, I disagree, I disagree.
You're the man!
2016-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules