12Next >
31631 46 2016-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rwickra
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29908 ft
United States

I just got back from vacation on Norwegian Cruiselines.

I took my P4 with me to use as an aerial camera at certain destinations (NEVER anywhere on or near the ship). I meticulously tracked airports, looked at every angle before I took my drone out, and managed to get some breathtaking video at several caribbean destinations -- most were on remote islands so there was nothing circumventing it. However, on Day 4 of my cruise as I was disembarking with the P4 box, the security officer of the cruise ship stopped me and stated that drones of ANY sort were banned and could not be bought on board the cruise ship EVEN if you never took it out of the box while it is on the ship. Moreover, he demanded that I hand over the drone to the security officers to be kept locked away and that I could retrieve it on the last day of the cruise.

Has anyone had this experience before? I understand that shipstaff would be nervous about idiots flying drones around the ship or near the ship in a way that would affect the navigation instruments, but to barr someone from even possessing a drone to be used at a remote destination in full compliance with local laws is something I have never heard of and frankly do not think is even fair.

Just a fair warning to anyone planning on taking their drone on vacation with them... Stay away from Norwegian Cruiselines.
2016-4-3
Use props
Jkeller84
lvl.4
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes I have heard this before. Drones are a no no on cruises.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2034
2016-4-3
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

Have not seen this before.  Lesson learned just stick it in a suitcase and if you want to fly it around the island where you docked there is always the promenade deck.  (just sneak the controller off the ship).  The home point has been updated please check it on the map
2016-4-3
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Yes, they are being high-handed about the whole issue, even though it is their right to ban you using it while on board the ship. However even if you have to hand it in, you should be able to take it off the ship at any stopping place along the way. I would have taken it up with the Captain, they are often quite approachable on board cruise ships. Failing that, I would write an indignant letter to the cruise line.
2016-4-3
Use props
Geebax Posted at 2016-4-4 10:39
Yes, they are being high-handed about the whole issue, even though it is their right to ban you usin ...

Simply look at it from the cruise line's point of view. All it will take is one passenger thinking it would be cool to get some aerial footage of the cruise ship and something happening and a passenger gets injured. Yeah, sizable settlement paid by the cruise line.

This is not to mention the frequencies onboard...it's a floating city. There's a lot that can go wrong.

Just my two cents.
2016-4-3
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

apargh@gmail.co Posted at 2016-4-4 12:52
Simply look at it from the cruise line's point of view. All it will take is one passenger thinking ...

Yes, you are quite correct and I would fully agree, but it does not explain their refusal to give him the aircraft back when he is leaving the ship at a port. If the ship docks at any port, what the passenger does in that place is between him and the destination city/country. They have no jurisdiction over that, so keeping the aircraft locked up is not warranted.
2016-4-3
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

" I understand that shipstaff would be nervous about idiots flying drones around the ship or near the ship in a way that would affect the navigation instruments"

There is nothing you could do with a Phantom that would have any effect on their navigation instruments at all.
2016-4-3
Use props
rwickra
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29908 ft
United States

Yeah, agree with all of the above posts. In my situation, Norwegian does not have an explicitly written policy that these are not allowed. However, other cruiselines including Disney and Royal Caribbean have written policy that states that "kites, remote controlled aircraft, and drones...." are not allowed on board the ship. My point is that as Geebax pointed out, what I do when I get off at a port is between that country and me, and the cruise ship has no business regulating that. But I was on vacation and I decided not to make a scene about it.
2016-4-9
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wouldn't have handed my drone over just like that.  If you had created a dangerous situation with the drone, injured someone or endangered the navigation of the vessel then maybe they would have been justified in their demands to confiscate it.  But to refuse to hand it back over for shore leave is way over stepping the line IMO, I would have lodged a complaint with the 'old man' straight away!!
2016-4-10
Use props
stephen.day
New

United States

I recently took an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity. I called ahead and was told I would need to check it. I checked it at embarkation and was not allowed access to it until disembarkation, not even at port. It was returned in Seward intact and unopened.

The TSA, on the other hand, were not as good to me. I had TSA friendly locks on my case. The case was opened in both Tampa and Anchorage. Both times the gimbal lock was removed and just thrown back in the case. I can only assume the inspector did not possess the motor skills to replace what he/she had removed. The foam in the lid of the case was also ripped out (it was glued in) now it falls down every time I open the case.
image.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
2016-6-24
Use props
stephen.day
New

United States

This is how I packaged my batteries for transport in my carry on luggage. Masking tape over the terminals and in separate ziplock bags. The TSA in Tampa asked what they were but no problems. Anchorage never asked anything.
image.jpg
2016-6-24
Use props
Swedrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Where is your amazing  footage?
2016-6-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Think the point here is your not allowed bring the drone on the ship, so if they give it to you when you dock ,how are you to get it back on when it's not allowed, is that not self explanatory.
2016-6-26
Use props
designengine
New

United States

Insurance is the issue!

Bart Brejcha
Design-engine.com
2016-6-30
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Agree with the above post....Insurance and liability.

Irresponsible people paint graffiti on National Monuments and carve their initials into Giant Redwoods etc.    This is the age of "ME" "ME" "ME" and morons.
Rules only apply to those willing to follow them.   Which is fewer and fewer especially among young people.
Likewise, no matter what, there are those who would fly their drones around a crowded cruise ship in spite of ALL rules and warnings.    And think it was "cute" or funny......or simply so they could post the "adventure" on their Facebook pages and look cool to al their friends.

This has been a wonderful experiment into freedom, but as we are learning, too many people cannot handle freedom responsibly.   And is exactly why it is being, and will be, lost.

2016-6-30
Use props
fans8e5ced5a
lvl.1

United States

No Drones are allowed on Norwegian Cruise lines, but you will not get it back until you return home.  Attached is a video I made.

2017-2-28
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

helidan Posted at 2016-4-10 03:07
I wouldn't have handed my drone over just like that.  If you had created a dangerous situation with the drone, injured someone or endangered the navigation of the vessel then maybe they would have been justified in their demands to confiscate it.  But to refuse to hand it back over for shore leave is way over stepping the line IMO, I would have lodged a complaint with the 'old man' straight away!!

Sure then they remove you from the vessel at that port and leave without you. That would also be their right.
2017-2-28
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Will not let me attach a Youtube video today.

Will try later

2017-2-28
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

fans8e5ced5a Posted at 2017-2-28 18:49
No Drones are allowed on Norwegian Cruise lines, but you will not get it back until you return home.  Attached is a video I made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0tMnJRKM2E

I am not sure if it's the same in the USA but in the civilised world you are prohibited from recording in an airport security area.
2017-2-28
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

IIRC there was a report of someone "borrowing" their parents drone on a cruise ship who took it up and then hit the RTH. He was quite upset when it did exactly that and executed a controlled descent into the wake of the ship.
2017-2-28
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2798707 ft
Canada

apargh@gmail.co Posted at 2016-4-3 18:52
Simply look at it from the cruise line's point of view. All it will take is one passenger thinking it would be cool to get some aerial footage of the cruise ship and something happening and a passenger gets injured. Yeah, sizable settlement paid by the cruise line.

This is not to mention the frequencies onboard...it's a floating city. There's a lot that can go wrong.

There is a youtube video I watched of some person following and circling a cruise ship departing out of a Florida Port. Certainly not helping the cause....
2017-3-1
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Canada

AlecW Posted at 2017-3-1 12:16
What's he doing wrong if he's following or circling a ship?

https://uavsystemsinternational. ... -states-drone-laws/
2017-3-1
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Some of the Ship Chase videos I have seen may not be compliant due to flying over a populous area. The other concerns would be flying close to radar and radio masts.
2017-3-1
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Canada

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-1 13:06
Some of the Ship Chase videos I have seen may not be compliant due to flying over a populous area. The other concerns would be flying close to radar and radio masts.

Correct. You just have to read the info.
2017-3-1
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Canada

AlecW Posted at 2017-3-1 13:20
What info?   You're quoting links that say nothing about this as if it's some fact.

Bullet point one and six cover it.
2017-3-1
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

AlecW Posted at 2017-3-1 13:11
The ocean is a populated area?  I get maybe flying over the ship could be pushing it, but following and flying near one?

On board the cruise ship is on the decks. Some of these videos show the flights over the decks where there are people below. This is done close to the radar and radio masts where there can be very strong RF fields. Not exactly safe flying.
2017-3-1
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Here is one

2017-3-1
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

In this case it is just circling.

2017-3-1
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

AlecW Posted at 2017-3-1 14:10
Don't worry, I'm sure you can fine one with someone breaking some rule.  I was really answering john who pretty much thinks flying near a ship in the port is bad for some reason.  It was an off topic post anyway, the thread is about some cruise lines banning them even as luggage for stops.

Cruise lines have their own rules and you have to abide by them when buying your ticket. I have only been on one and my feelings are mixed. Most of their rules were for the safety and enjoyment of the majority of passengers. Others were to keep you drinking their booze.
Before I went I found out about their rules concerning photography on board. They were quite good and said it was fine in all public areas unless requested by an officer to stop and restrictions on flash inside at some times.
I can understand them not wanting people flying from on the ship as taking off and landing would be potentially hazzardous to other passengers. There would also be a risk of damage to sensitive systems on the ship.
The restrictions from taking it ashore would be one of the amount of time taken for the aircraft to be taken out of storage and returned at each port. One passenger may be fine but when you have a few thousand on board and forty or fifty people want to do this as every port then it becomes a problem.
2017-3-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Johnnyv Posted at 2017-3-1 13:26
Bullet point one and six cover it.

I can't find anything relevant here:
Maintain sufficient distance from populated areas.
Do NOT fly your drone higher than 400 feet.
It is illegal to fly your drone in national parks, or within Washington DC regardless if you are flying for recreational or commercial purposes. A comprehensive map of no fly areas in the United States is available here
Stay away from airports, helicopters, and sensitive sites such as military and power installations.
Stay away from individuals and vulnerable property when flying your drone
Do NOT fly your drone beyond the line of sight.

ps ... When the site you refer to says:  United States Drone laws allow drones to ONLY be used for recreational use.
.... it might be time to find something a little more up to date.

2017-3-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-1 13:34
On board the cruise ship is on the decks. Some of these videos show the flights over the decks where there are people below. This is done close to the radar and radio masts where there can be very strong RF fields. Not exactly safe flying.

Although frequently mentioned in drone forums, the potential risk of flying close to ships radar and radio is very much less than most people imagine.
2017-3-1
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-1 15:30
Although frequently mentioned in drone forums, the potential risk of flying close to ships radar and radio is very much less than most people imagine.

While the risk of actually losing your aircraft when flying from a ship is far greater.
2017-3-1
Use props
Tom24nh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 174239 ft
United States

why would anyone want to try to fly from a cruse ship the speed they are going and the wind at sea all = lost at sea
2017-3-7
Use props
fanse07eb81e
New

United States

Norwegian bans it now.
2017-8-17
Use props
GraceSimon
New

Canada

Should I bring my spark drone to Sydney cruise?
2017-11-8
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-3 21:03
Yes, you are quite correct and I would fully agree, but it does not explain their refusal to give him the aircraft back when he is leaving the ship at a port. If the ship docks at any port, what the passenger does in that place is between him and the destination city/country. They have no jurisdiction over that, so keeping the aircraft locked up is not warranted.

"does not explain their refusal to give him the aircraft back when he is leaving the ship at a port."

Yeah I really don't get why they wouldn't allow him to take the craft once he's off the ship. Maybe if he took one of those MP shoulder bags, they wouldnt never noticed.
2017-11-8
Use props
GraceSimon
New

Canada

So they took your drone without returning to you?
2017-11-15
Use props
Pilot-of-all
New
Flight distance : 192513 ft

United States

So, when you fly, if you're TSA prechecked you would think that they wouldn't go through you're drone case... makes me paranoid to take mine anywhere without just driving there myself.
2017-11-15
Use props
James Ragsdale
New

United States

Drones are stupid....just my opinion... invasive and unnecessary..
2018-1-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

James Ragsdale Posted at 2018-1-4 15:34
Drones are stupid....just my opinion... invasive and unnecessary..

Then what the hell are you doing on this forum?
2018-1-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules