Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4 vs. Inspire
123Next >
11668 89 2016-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pgaucher
Second Officer
Flight distance : 368983 ft
Indonesia

Bali Uncharted (Entirely shot with DJI Phantom 4)

After a full 10 days of using the DJI Phantom 4 in Bali Indonesia, our verdict is in: IT IS AWESOME.

The new intelligent flight modes facilitate the capture of awesome footage while the overall precision of the craft in normal flight mode is extremely close to the precision observed with the Inspire 1.

Observed flight times easily topped the 25 minutes per battery and while we were not in a position to test maximum range (there is no real point in doing this anyhow) we did however capture some great volcano sequences at more than 3.6km with no loss in video signal.

The below video was shot entirely with the Phantom 4. Based on this, it will become our go to solution for aerial filming in the future, unless wind conditions require something more robust.

Let us know your thoughts.

Cheers

Patrice Gaucher LL.B.
CEO, Aerial Entertainment Studios
Hong Kong

2016-4-3
Use props
lcajiga
lvl.1
Flight distance : 145384 ft
Puerto Rico

Superb!!!!
2016-4-4
Use props
TK-421
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Again, incredible video.
2016-4-4
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Spectacular! Thanks for sharing!
2016-4-4
Use props
Pgaucher
Second Officer
Hong Kong

TK-421 Posted at 2016-4-5 11:43
Gorgeous footage! I'd like to know your shooting profile/settings and color correction workflow.

Co ...

Thanks for the feedback. Very appreciated.  Feel free to share. Cheers.
2016-4-4
Use props
Pgaucher
Second Officer
Hong Kong

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-5 12:11
Again, incredible video.

Thanks Ken.

Tell me guys, how do I become a DJI tester. I essentially travel the world on a constant basis and always carry my gear with me. Would love to help DJI in providing feedback on real life usage.

Also, I sent an email to the marketing team a few weeks ago but did not hear back from them. Is there anyone who you can refer me to who can help with a request I have.

Cheers

Patrice
2016-4-4
Use props
Pgaucher
Second Officer
Hong Kong

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-5 12:11
Again, incredible video.

Thanks Ken.

Tell me guys, how do I become a DJI tester. I essentially travel the world on a constant basis and always carry my gear with me. Would love to help DJI in providing feedback on real life usage.

Also, I sent an email to the marketing team a few weeks ago but did not hear back from them. Is there anyone who you can refer me to who can help with a request I have.

Cheers

Patrice
2016-4-4
Use props
Pgaucher
Second Officer
Hong Kong

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-4-5 12:14
Spectacular! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Tim. Hope to see this on your website soon.

Cheers

Patrice
2016-4-4
Use props
Mauro Pagliai
Captain
Flight distance : 34753871 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Wonderful footage!
2016-4-5
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome job Pat. Spectacular scenery!
2016-4-5
Use props
Pgaucher
Second Officer
Indonesia

Thanks Mauro, very appreciated. Cheers
2016-4-5
Use props
Pgaucher
Second Officer
Indonesia

rodger Posted at 2016-4-5 18:58
Awesome job Pat. Spectacular scenery!

Thanks Rodger, happy you enjoyed the video. Feel free to share with others. Cheers.
2016-4-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I asked it to be added to the main page, they too thought it was incredible and added it.
2016-4-5
Use props
madaerial
lvl.3
Flight distance : 512251 ft
United States

Amazing footage! Just beautiful!
2016-4-5
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Great job!  Hard to go wrong with scenery like that.

Dave
2016-4-5
Use props
Pgaucher
Second Officer
Indonesia

DJI-Dave Posted at 2016-4-5 21:52
Great job!  Hard to go wrong with scenery like that.

Thanks Dave, appreciate the feedback. Getting there was a challenge in itself, then waiting for perfect lighting, then finding the right angles, etc. It was all good fun, but cost a lot of money to obtain ;-)
2016-4-5
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Pgaucher@me.com Posted at 2016-4-5 18:02
Thanks Dave, appreciate the feedback. Getting there was a challenge in itself, then waiting for pe ...

Yeah I fully agree. I have seen a lot of great videos from great vacation destinations and I used to think I would do the same thing soon. But then I realize I have a wife and 2 kids. When we go on vacation it is not about me or what I want to do. It is about a family doing family stuff on vacation.  So even though I go to, and have gone to many beautiful places to video. I do not do it. Too much work and not fun for the family to sit and wait. Plus I use my Inspire and Phantom all the time for work doing real estate jobs. So to add to distracting from a family trip it now feels like work to fly for me, I do not enjoy as much as I used too. Sad I know, but that is because I fly so much. It is what it is. And I know it is a lot of work to do what you are doing. It can be fun but not always.
I go on vacation to enjoy my family and relax.
So I enjoy videos from guys like you that can and want to travel and fly. Maybe when my kids go to collage (the wife and I can do this traveling and fly my drone) and if I am not too burned out that is. Then I will make a few videos like your great video.

Dave
2016-4-5
Use props
Pgaucher
Second Officer
Hong Kong

DJI-Dave Posted at 2016-4-6 08:29
Yeah I fully agree. I have seen a lot of great videos from great vacation destinations and I used ...

I hear you Dave. Luckily my family enjoys participating in this activity. Having said this, every time we travel, I usually spend an extra $1500-2500 USD just to charter a private boat to access locations that are off the beaten path. That allows me to capture a lot more quality footage needed for the post production phase.

I'm happy you enjoyed the video and I do hope to hear back from your marketing team soon on an email I sent them a few weeks ago.

Cheers

Patrice
2016-4-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Pgaucher@me.com Posted at 2016-4-6 09:34
Hi Ken, here is the email I sent to the marketing team. Would appreciate a response. Cheers.

'Go ...

I will make sure they see the email.
Also, read the rules and regulations. You have have posted too much information in the post.
2016-4-5
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Yes, your personal and business info need to come down.
Sorry.

Dave
2016-4-5
Use props
mtnred
Second Officer
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>

Amazing ,I love Bali .It was great to see areas I know from the sky .Thanks for sharing.Wish I was there .
2016-4-5
Use props
Pgaucher
Second Officer
Hong Kong

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-6 10:06
I will make sure they see the email.
Also, read the rules and regulations. You have have posted to ...

No problem removing the previous post. I was simply doing what you asked (for me to post the email I sent so that you could forward it to the right people).

Thanks for sending it to the appropriate people within the organisation.

Cheers
Patrice
2016-4-5
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pgaucher@me.com Posted at 2016-4-5 09:12
Thanks Rodger, happy you enjoyed the video. Feel free to share with others. Cheers.

Not a problem, thanks for posting such amazing footage
2016-4-6
Use props
Sebb
First Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi Patrice,

great footage, as usual from you!

One question: in your opinion, how much of a limitation is the P4's rotors entering the frame on forward tilt, either due to speed or - more of a problem - increased wind?

Thanks,
Sebastian
2016-4-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Pgaucher@me.com Posted at 2016-4-6 13:25
No problem removing the previous post. I was simply doing what you asked (for me to post the email ...

Sounds good.
2016-4-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Sebb Posted at 2016-4-6 21:09
Hi Patrice,

You can easily get the props out of the way by tilting down some. The faster you go the more you will need to tilt. And the wind will only come into play if it's a strong headwind and creates a larger angle of attack to the relative wind.
In Sport Mode and going full throttle the props will always be in view unless the camera is tilted down quite a bit.
2016-4-6
Use props
Pgaucher
Second Officer
Indonesia

Sebb Posted at 2016-4-6 20:09
Hi Patrice,

Hi Sebastian, thanks for your kind words.
The props issue came up a few times, but quite frankly less than expected. Naturally I was planning my shots for this film so anticipated the risk depending on the angle. As a general rule, I never point the camera straight unless my flight trajectory is backwards. This allows me to tilt the camera upwards without having too many risks of the props ruining the shot.

This is another area where the Inspire has a great advantage over the P4. But again, with a bit of planning, you can get great shots with the P4.

Cheers

Patrice

2016-4-6
Use props
bengalboy69
First Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great to see your video up on DJI's site Patrice!!  Awesome Work!!
2016-4-6
Use props
Pgaucher
Second Officer
Hong Kong

bengalboy69@gma Posted at 2016-4-7 10:02
Great to see your video up on DJI's site Patrice!!  Awesome Work!!

Thanks man. Appreciate the kind words. Cheers.
2016-4-6
Use props
Sebb
First Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-6 16:28
You can easily get the props out of the way by tilting down some. The faster you go the more you w ...

that is common knowledge of course.

I was surprised to read that commercial pilots consider P4 for serious aerial work and wanted to get opinion from one on this.
To me, the lack of improvement over previous models is somewhat disappointing. It seems a bit more could have been done. i am also looking at the Typhoon H.

Seb
2016-4-6
Use props
ultrathew
lvl.1

United States

Really incredible footage. Well done!

Would you mind sharing the settings you were using for video? I'm mainly looking for whether you used D-Log with the sharpness, contrast and saturation down and graded yourself or if this is straight out of the camera. I'm not seeing anything of this level of quality coming out of my Phantom 4 right now, but maybe it's just a matter of dialing in the right settings for my color grading workflow. Thanks in advance.
2016-4-7
Use props
TK-421
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-7
Use props
Pgaucher
Second Officer
Indonesia

ultrathew Posted at 2016-4-7 22:38
Really incredible footage. Well done!

Would you mind sharing the settings you were using for video? ...

Thanks for the feedback, I'm happy you enjoyed the video. To answer your question, I shot on manual for essentially every sequence aside from the last 2 which I was running on 27% battery and didn't have time to switch off the front LED's.  All other shots were taken with a lot of planning and waiting for the right lighting conditions. I can't generalise the settings as they differed on each shot due to weather/lighting.
Hope this helps cheers
Patrice
2016-4-7
Use props
Pgaucher
Second Officer
Indonesia

TK-421 Posted at 2016-4-7 22:45
My biggest problem with getting these kinds of shots is that I'm in Colorado filming dead grass, n ...

With the right lighting conditions and music, you may have something there ;-)
2016-4-7
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460751 ft
United States

Wow! Very nice. Well done. Thanks for sharing.
2016-4-8
Use props
mlpdx
lvl.1

United States

kgjamison Posted at 2016-4-8 08:32
Wow! Very nice. Well done. Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful work -- as a photographer, I can appreciate the amount of planning and effort and photography skill you exercised to get this footage, in addition to the piloting skill.    As a drone newbie with the P4, I don't if I'll ever have the courage and skill to shoot as you did here. but it's good to know the P4 is up to the challenge.    Thanks for sharing your stunning piece.  
2016-4-8
Use props
Pgaucher
Second Officer
Hong Kong

mlpdx Posted at 2016-4-9 02:20
Beautiful work -- as a photographer, I can appreciate the amount of planning and effort and photogr ...

Thanks for the kind words. Very appreciated indeed. A whole lot of time effort and investment was needed to get these shots so I am happy you enjoyed the video. Cheers. Patrice
2016-4-8
Use props
Domenico Panace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 34751 ft
Italy

WOW! Amazing!!
Have U used ND filter?
2016-4-12
Use props
bigmouth.kwok
lvl.3