Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New user questions, editing formats & power options
1600 12 2016-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi,

I'm not an Osmo owner as yet, but I had a chance to try one out at a consumer gadgets show at the weekend and was very impressed. I plan to shoot a series of "walking tour" videos later in the year, and this seems a much better solution than my current option of a rather clunky gimbal & balance weight arrangement for my Canon camcorder.

A couple of questions for the experts here though, if I may:

1) There are apparently two video file saving options. I mostly edit video in Sony Vegas Pro 13.0 (and sometimes in Adobe Premiere) on a PC, will either or both of these file formats import natively into Vegas for pure 4K editing of the walking tours, and also for down-converting to regular HD for mixing in with other regular Canon 1080/30p footage? I'd obviously prefer to keep re-encoding to a minimum

2) I will be shooting outdoors in Florida in August, I understand there are some issues with the camera aperture and very bright environments, is an ND filter necessary or more of a nicety?

3) Can the unit be powered externally via a USB power pack, as the one-hour internal battery life will be a bit limiting. Even two or three extra batteries will be limiting.

4) I assume an external mic is basically an essential, does the Osmo provide power for devices which power themselves via the 3.5mm connector?

Thanks for anyone's help,

Andre
2016-4-4
Use props
robind_r
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Regarding your question about the editing formats, I also use Vegas Pro 13 and it handles both .mov and mp4 with no problems at all - even in 4K.
You have the choice of editing on a 4K timeline or 1080. I often use the 1080 timeline if I need to enlarge the picture slightly and then to render out as 1080.
2016-4-4
Use props
andre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

robind_r Posted at 2016-4-4 13:28
Regarding your question about the editing formats, I also use Vegas Pro 13 and it handles both .mov  ...

Excellent, good to know that the files are handled natively. Do you have a preference for format (I guess MP4 would be my own first choice if all other things are equal) as I won't have time to do lots of tests before shooting live footage. The idea of zooming in from 4K to HD is a good idea for anything that I plan to render in regular HD anyway, thanks.

Are you aware of any raw 4K Osmo sample files on the net that I could download and have a play with in Vegas in advance?

Andre
2016-4-4
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello!
Thanks for your interest in DJI Osmo!
The battery can't be charged via the external power bank.
Unfortunately, the 3.5mm connector doesn't have the ability to power the external Mic, either.
2016-4-4
Use props
andre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-4-5 08:05
Hello!
Thanks for your interest in DJI Osmo!
The battery can't be charged via the external power ban ...

Thanks for the info. So if you plan to be out and about shooting for a full day, you need to take half a dozen spare batteries with you? Seems a bit short-sighted - especially given the rather poor basic battery life (one hour's use per charge was quoted).

How fast does the battery recharge, and can that be done from a 5V power pack while away from a mains supply?

Andre
2016-4-8
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

andre@cix.co.uk Posted at 2016-4-9 06:35
Thanks for the info. So if you plan to be out and about shooting for a full day, you need to take h ...

Thanks for your opinion!
As you know, the Osmo is a hand-held device, considering the flexibility and the portability, it's not convenient to be with a larger heavier battery which can supply more power. Actually, one good thing is that the light-weight battery can be easily swapped and taken with.
It takes around 1 hour to recharge a Osmo battery. It can't be recharged with a 5V power pack.
In the future, our engineers will try to find a better solution on the lifetime of the battery. Thanks for your concern and please pay closed attention to our official website for any further update.
2016-4-11
Use props
RegDawg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54091 ft
United States

The osmo has a USB port, I wonder if there could be a firmware release that would allow the osmo to be powered from an external battery source. That would be a good option especially if somoene was recording an all day event. You would carry a couple extra batteries of course but also carry an external battery that would last almost all day.
2016-4-11
Use props
robind_r
lvl.4
United Kingdom

RegDawg Posted at 2016-4-11 17:49
The osmo has a USB port, I wonder if there could be a firmware release that would allow the osmo to  ...

Since the USB port is actually on the camera head, it would certainly interfere with the camera motion ...
2016-4-11
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

RegDawg Posted at 2016-4-12 00:49
The osmo has a USB port, I wonder if there could be a firmware release that would allow the osmo to  ...

The micro-USB port on the camera is only for downloading the files in the SD card, or connect the SD card into your PC for other possible operations.

It would be great if it's possible that an external battery could last a whole day long. It might be just not so realistic at present. We appreciate with your ideas, and we'll balance all the pros and cons and then try to find a better solution.
2016-4-11
Use props
andre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Excellent, looks like someone has been listening! Looks like this should solve the extended use problem. http://store.dji.com/product/osmo-external-battery-extender

Andre
2016-4-17
Use props
nomad65
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Hi Andre ,

been asking the same question , chatting to another guy on here who reckons there is a way of connecting the DJI battery extender to a V Lock battery , running in the 14 v range .

Hope this helps .
2016-4-17
Use props
adambussey
lvl.1
United Kingdom

nomad65 Posted at 2016-4-17 11:50
Hi Andre ,

been asking the same question , chatting to another guy on here who reckons there is a w ...

You called..... and for a vlok battery you will need a Dtap connector on noe end of a cable and the right size DC power plug on the other end
2016-4-17
Use props
adambussey
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Though in theory you can get any battery between 12v and 15.5v to work with the osmo it seems
2016-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules