Which Android device? (UK)
1238 15 2016-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
monkfish.ams
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80466 ft
United Kingdom

HiI have just purchased an S900 second hand with the intention of going into business. It is my first forray into this field and I am fast realising I have much to learn (I like to make things dificult for myself).
I have sought professional assistance setting it up but there are one or two holes in the fabric of the rather unstructured instruction I received so here I am with my first question to you, the KNOWING community out there.
Although the outfit came with a Black Pearl monitor it doesnt appear to display what the camera is seeing.
It is connected to a Lightbridge which I had my mentor install in parallel with the Wookong M which was already in place. This was done as I suspected the signal strength would be far better with the LB than the iOSD that was being used (by the previous owner). When the monitor was connected all that was visible was a series of white fuzzy lines reminiscent of those seen on cathode ray tube TVs from days of old. :-)
It was explained to me that I probably needed to get myself an Android device in order to download the DJI Go app which "you will probably need to get the monitor to work with" . I somehow thinketh this be bad info.
However, It would appear (as there doesn't seem to be an APP out there for iOS any more) that I will in deed have to get myself some sort of Android device to further enhance my flight experience.
Can anyone suggest such a compatible device or devices other than just Cell phones (I use an iphone for most things and don't necessarily want to change as it suits my purposes).
Any help would be appreciated as I haven't gotten this machine into the air yet. I want to be sure everything is in order before commiting aviation.
Thanks in anticipation.
2016-4-6
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello!
Welcome to our Pro System Forum!
About DJI Lightbrigde App, please check below information:
(You can also find more information in our official website: http://www.dji.com/product/dji-lightbridge/info#downloads)
DJI Lightbridge App.png
2016-4-6
Use props
Saffron96
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-4-7 08:36
Hello!
Welcome to our Pro System Forum!
About DJI Lightbrigde App, please check below information:

That's a great start.
Thank you
2016-4-7
Use props
dennismurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>

Saffron96 Posted at 2016-4-7 18:45
That's a great start.
Thank you

I use LG's...the one thing I noticed with androids is that you really need a sunshade outside...I had to make one as nothing aftermarket would fit or work...mainly because you have to have the USB cable to it. The only real problem is the battery life but its not like charging a 21,000 lipo in the field...car cigarette lighter works. I have another set up that I have like an old photographer curtain up on PVC pipes...but I have a camera person so I dont care what it looks like...
2016-4-8
Use props
Saffron96
lvl.2
United Kingdom

dennismurry08@c Posted at 2016-4-9 00:34
I use LG's...the one thing I noticed with androids is that you really need a sunshade outside...I  ...

Thanks Dennis
Sorry I didn't check my replies until this morning. I have since paid ( awaiting delivery) for a used Sony Experia Ultra. Hoping that the 2.2 Ghz processor will render great results.

I'm new to this and think maybe I have dived in a little deep. I haven't had the machine long (hah) about 8 weeks and am somewhat overawed with the set up. Lots of reading of manuals and hoping that I have everything in place before I commit it to the air. I've seen a lot of trashed machines on t'internet and am feared that it would be too easy to join the annals of 'the failed'. I can't afford to bunt money away.

One of the things I can't quite fathom is, why after adding a Lightbridge 1 to my Wookong M can I not see a picture from my camera on the Black Pearl monitor via tha HDMI cable?

I don't suppose you have any suggestions regarding this quandary do you? I paid a guy from a DJI agent over here to get me set up with the kit but amongst other shortcomings, he couldn't answer that question. He merely suggested I get myself armed with an Android device and run everything through that. Bit of a copout I thought.

Cheers
2016-4-11
Use props
dennismurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>

Saffron96 Posted at 2016-4-11 17:55
Thanks Dennis
Sorry I didn't check my replies until this morning. I have since paid ( awaiting del ...

I dont have any useful experience with the Black Pearl...I know theres a bunch of guys on here that do..I already had a couple android tablets and they worked fine. I just made a DIY bracket to work with a Tri-Pod and a sunshade...didnt see the need for spending more...My camera girl wouldn't notice the difference anyway..let us know how it goes...setting up the android the first time can be touchy. Make sure you go in and allow debugging. I dont know the sony but it should be under Developers in the menu option somewhere. Also, on my LG's, when I first plug it in it will give me a dialog box, storage device or internet (something like that), choose internet. Mine then just goes back to the main screen..then I hit the DJI icon again and I get another box ethernet or modem, I choose ethernet...it may or may not go to the camera view...if it goes back to the desktop you just have to open the app again and you should have the camera view. If you have problems make sure debugging is active...it looks like a little bug on the top menu bar somewhere...mine is top left. I always turn my camera on first. Good luck.
2016-4-11
Use props
nomad65
lvl.3

United Kingdom

dennismurry08@c Posted at 2016-4-11 15:45
I dont have any useful experience with the Black Pearl...I know theres a bunch of guys on here that ...

Hi Saffron ,

interested in how you get on with the Sony Ultra as toying with that unit myself to use on the Osmo .

Good luck and look forward to reading your findings .
2016-4-11
Use props
flaviomjr
lvl.4
Canada

Saffron96 Posted at 2016-4-11 17:55
Thanks Dennis
Sorry I didn't check my replies until this morning. I have since paid ( awaiting del ...

Monkfish. Welcome the S900 world.   I use the black pearl and it's worked great for me.   However, I do not use the LB system but it sounds like you might need to check your connections or maybe you have not moved the video switch on the gimbal to HD. I highly doubt that you can't use the black pearl to get your feed, that would be a very dumb for dji to do but then again anything is possible.
Also just a friendly warning to you,  DONT update anything on your craft until you check the forum to make sure if any issues have been found.  I have seen a lot of people bricking or making their craft/ gimbal inoperable because of updates.   My rule of thumb is if it's not broken don't fix it!   

Just trying to save you the headache.

2016-4-12
Use props
dennismurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>

flaviomjr@vtolx Posted at 2016-4-12 21:53
Monkfish. Welcome the S900 world.   I use the black pearl and it's worked great for me.   However,  ...

I'll ditto that!
2016-4-12
Use props
flaviomjr
lvl.4
Canada

were you able to take care of the landing gear issue?  
2016-4-12
Use props
dennismurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>

flaviomjr@vtolx Posted at 2016-4-12 23:11
were you able to take care of the landing gear issue?

So, I sent all three back. 2 dead and the one that goes up, stops and goes up further. Today I get an email with an invoice wanting me to pay for 2 of them as I only sent in 1 proof of purchase. But the others were from an RMA return which they replaced them with 1 dead and the one that goes up and up. So I waited on hold and finally got through but it sounded like the guy was just going to ship the proof of purchase one and he'd "ping" accounting about the RMA ones....but none will ship until accounting resolves it...and I wait. Thanks for asking, I'll update as it goes.
2016-4-12
Use props
flaviomjr
lvl.4
Canada

dennismurry08@c Posted at 2016-4-12 22:20
So, I sent all three back. 2 dead and the one that goes up, stops and goes up further. Today I get  ...

I am very disappointed with DJI.   I got a replacement z15-gh4 gimbal after I shipped them my old one that was making grinding noise and then they shipped back to me on the same week saying it was fixed and that it only needed to be updated.   So I contacted them and shipped it back again and then they replaced the gimbal.

Its so frustrating dealing with these guys, for all the money that we spend on their equipment the support is sure crap.  I love all my s900 and s1000+ but I can definitely say that with all the bad experiences, not 1/3 of the apps available for the Spread wings as there are for the phantom and inspire 1 I will never buy another DJI product again.    I will continue to come to the forum only because I have 11 crafts and like to keep tabs as to what is going on.

its a shame.
2016-4-13
Use props
dennismurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>

flaviomjr@vtolx Posted at 2016-4-14 10:01
I am very disappointed with DJI.   I got a replacement z15-gh4 gimbal after I shipped them my old  ...

I will say that the response time from support has gotten better but the resolving part is still questionable...especially for the GH4...I've been picking up GH3's here and there and use V1 assistant and 1.4 on the GCU...it's been flawless..just wish I could use an iPad instead of Androids
2016-4-14
Use props
Saffron96
lvl.2
United Kingdom

nomad65 Posted at 2016-4-11 20:43
Hi Saffron ,

interested in how you get on with the Sony Ultra as toying with that unit myself to  ...

Thanks Dennismurry and Nomad,
Debugged the Sony and became a "Developer!"  as it were, plugged her into the USB on the LB ground station, set the gimbal to HD and it's working fine.
Still can't get it to cast on the Black Pearl. Tried all the permutations and nothing. Still, I'm that much closer to getting this mutha into the air.

Thanks too to all those that auggested not updating anything until checking other's post. Unfortunately I think this was done when I visited my man in The Drone Factory. Hope I haven't burnt my bridges.

Thanks again to all that have responded to date.

Much appreciated
2016-4-17
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

flaviomjr@vtolx Posted at 2016-4-14 10:01
I am very disappointed with DJI.   I got a replacement z15-gh4 gimbal after I shipped them my old  ...

Sorry about the frustrating experience!
Those Pro systems are all sort of not cheap products and we appreciate your support to DJI.
When it comes to the repair, the replacement will be executed when it's proven to be necessary. Our service teams will do their job strictly according to our official after-sales policy.
As for the customer service experience, we'll keep improving, and any of your suggestion or feedback would be appreciated.
It'll be our pleasure to do the service for you continually.
2016-4-18
Use props
dennismurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-4-18 16:29
Sorry about the frustrating experience!
Those Pro systems are all sort of not cheap products and w ...

Actually you've been very helpful...
2016-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules