Phantom 3 Firmware Release Note (Apr 7th,2016)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
windgate
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-7 20:51
I too updated to Marshmallow last night and now when you plug in a device you have to swipe down a ...

I didn't notice that dropdown until I had enabled USB debugging. Maybe it was there and I simply was not aware of it. I will try to disable USB debugging and confirm. Thanks again Ken!
2016-4-7
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

I've updated the controller and bird with the latest firmware. I'm on iOS with an IPad Mini 2.
Current DJI GO app functions and communication with the P3P are all fine. Just did a test flight, tested camera and hovered in place for a couple minutes.
For some reason I had to run the controller firmware update twice to get the app to stop notifying me that it "needs to be updated."
Other than that I've experienced no issues what so ever and all is normal.
2016-4-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

windgate Posted at 2016-4-8 09:22
I didn't notice that dropdown until I had enabled USB debugging. Maybe it was there and I simply w ...

No problem at all.
2016-4-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2016-4-8 09:27
I've updated the controller and bird with the latest firmware. I'm on iOS with an IPad Mini 2.
Curre ...

Glad you got it all up and running.
2016-4-7
Use props
rickmary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I have a P3 advanced and have really enjoyed it for a couple months now. All the posts and info are a big help. I upgraded to latest version of app, and firmware. I am using a Nvidia Shield and it all works flawlessly. I live in a smaller town, but routinely I am able to travel 2+ miles with the windsurfer antenna boosters without having lost a signal. DJI seems to have their act together! I live in Iowa in the USA. I must admit, that when upgrading you may have to re-install the app or re-link the RC and the Phantom, but if you follow the recommendations posted, you will be successful. Don't give up. Start over if you need to. There is a ton of support out there if you look long enough. Rick in Iowa.
2016-4-7
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

Suggestion (or pointer on how to do it)... Really need a way to adjust the "beep" volume during upgrades. That beep in extremely loud. I prefer to do upgrades at night, but the sound can wake the dead!
2016-4-7
Use props
richbeavers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1083625 ft
United States

Messed with my P3A today for a few hours and finally figured it out. I first put it on my SD card then put the SD card in the Gimble and Wala, it downloaded. Went out to a friends ranch to fly, had no problems and it flew great
2016-4-7
Use props
SpecialProjects
lvl.3
Flight distance : 441010 ft

Do you have to update the batteries with this new firmware?
2016-4-7
Use props
Total
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

SpecialProjects Posted at 2016-4-7 22:03
Do you have to update the batteries with this new firmware?

YES , I have seen here  that you have to update to batteries too...
2016-4-7
Use props
Fbu.com
New

New Zealand

You must update both the Aircraft and the RC for everything to work on this particular update .  Also Capt Russ.  If you just bought a battery You can update it with the new FW. I would just do my update with the new battery pack installed  and then it will be updated .  Then after success upload, you can place any additional battery packs and begin the process again, it will only take a couple of minutes this time.  As far as deleting the Go App, keep in mind the update is for android devices only this time. (Be sure to Uninstall the old one completly first  ) also you can symc if you wish , go to the GO App  and select "Me"  then go to "Flight Records"  and sync.  You wont have much but sync if you want   Be sure to save any flights you may want to keep .  Also most of the settings are stored in the  aircraft but still look them over and after the update be sure nothing changed.  Be sure to check the RTH  "Return To Home" settings and the RTH height as well.  I am going to add my tips page for those who may need the help.

TIPS  For Phantom Advanced and Pro  Uploading firmware:
Updates will look like this when complete: MUST UPDATE RC AND AIRCRAFT FOR 4-7 2016  UPDATE 1.8
App  version 2.71  ( Android 2.72)  
Aircraft    version 1.8.80 or the old FW with a +
RC    version 1.6.0
If you have a + sign after the old firmware it means it has loaded but must get confimed with DJI servers.  Make sure you have WI- FI  internet connection ( Like during FW download) **This is still Not entirely figured out .  Just know you can fly like this and you are updated.  When I get more information I will post.  I am talking with Tech assistance NOW April 7th to get answers.

-  After 1.3 the update FOR the Transmitter is NOT through the SD Card it is through The DJI go app and WI-FI connection. MUST HAVE WI- FI CONNECTION WITH INTERNET ACCESS.   

-Always update the aircraft first.  This is Mandoatory in some cases during updates. For example on the Inspire 1 update 1.8 it must be done in this order to prevent problems with the landing gear.  ALSO NEVER DO THE UPDATES AT SAME TIME, DO AIRCRAFT, STOP, TURN OFF AIRCRAFT AND DO THE RC.  

-When updating theTransmitter , use a dedicated reliable WI-FI system.  Avoid using Cellular systems if possible (Phone calls , etc)  You want to make sure to close all apps besides the GO App as well.  Do NOT interupt the upload. Make sure the cable from the Transmitter to the Go App is Pristine and Perfect.

-Make sure you download the proper firmware.  If you have the Pro make sure not downloading for the Advanced or Standard. Double check!

-Make sure you only download the Bin File to the FRESH FORMATTED SD CARD Root Directory. Root directory is just a fancy name for " Make sure it is not in a file or folder  " Make sure the BIN file is the only thing on the SD card.  

-Make sure transmitter is NOT on when downloading Firmware to aircraft (VERY IMPORTANT) and Aircraft is not on when uploading the Transmitter !

-When installing SD with firmware to the  Aircraft, make sure it is off. Then turn on aircraft, the firmware will then begin load.  1- Load sd card with firmware to aircraft 2- turn on aircraft

-You can jump FROM 1.3 TO 1.6   or ** (1.8 )  BUT if you have any difficulty you must stair step from current firmware to get to the latest firmware.   If at 1.2 must install 1.3 then you jump or stairstep to 1.7 .** I am getting conflicting reports and your best bet is to stop at 1.6 and do battery upgrades then go to1.7   ( I see a lot less problems when Pilots go in order.......Play it smart)  This is much easier if you just stay up to date. If you have not done the battery updates you can do so with 1.7 or 1.8 as well.  

-All the firmware numbers for the RC - aircraft- Go App - Camera WONT BE THE SAME. For example the current aircraft firmware is 1.8..80 but the RC Firmware is 1.6.0  )   

-Sometimes only the aircraft gets an update and not RC Transmitter   Read the pdf on the downloads page so you know what’s going on for example 1.6.0.40 was only for the aircraft and batteries

-Make sure to read what each update is effecting. For example 1.6.0.4.0 will require each battery to be updated as well. Keep Informed.

-Macs’ sometimes do not format SD cards well. When Formatting  Success is in doubt  FORMAT ON THE AIRCRAFT, go to camera settings on dji go app , open the tool icon , on bottom is Format SD  card option.

When Updating on the aircraft you will hear a "Four beat tone" dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd and flashing gren and red lights .

-Updates sometimes take a while, wait for the tone to change to  a " One beat pause two beat  tone"  d-dd d-dd d-dd d-dd d-dd d-dd d-dd  or the solid  green light even better. Now it is done  ( Phantom Camera Gimbal Assembly )

-If you hear a long  " No pause beat "   dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd  update has failed. Try again.  Remove SD card and Place in computer and look at the File "Result" or the Hidden file to get to the Nitty Gritty.  Use search magnifying glass "Hidden File" tutorial.

-Updating is not an option for just the aircraft, IF there is also an update at that time for the Transmitter you MUST do it.

-To find out your current Firmware: Make sure The Aircraft, Transmitter, and GO-APP are all on. Now go to the “Main Video Flight Screen” , Tap the right hand corner for “ Settings” on the Very Left Bottom of  tab icons  you will see -  - -  this is the “ General Settings   Go to  “About “  Here you will find current Firmware on each device.  If you only see the “App Version  it is because you did not turn everything on .

-If you load the firware with success but it does not update in the “About” section on the Go App “General Settings” be sure to Re- Boot your Device with the Go App, also restart the aircraft and Transmitter .  

-If you have a light blue light on the transmitter ( This can be caused by an interupted upload to the Firmware on the RC )  go to this link to help solve the problem        http://forum.dji.com/thread-47577-1-1.html  

-If you get a + sign after you install the firmware,  (ie: 1.7.04.00+) It is OK, re-boot and make sure your device has wi-fi  and internet access.  It should update once it is up to date with DJI servers. ( This may take a couple days though because of all the updates) Once again waitign on DJI for exact cause.

-Make sure when you are powering up to fly you always do it in theis order :   1 RC Transmitter 2 Aircraft 3 Go app     You can have your device ( I-pad ) "on"  when you place it on the RC cradle but do NOT have that Go App opened up.  Make sure you have no other apps opened in the backround.  Be sure to "Enable Hardware Decode" on the go App.  This takes some of the strain off the processor for better performance.  

-Updates for the Phantom Standard are Only Done through GO-App and Wi-Fi, no SD Firmware to upload.

-Look over your "General Settings" after an update most of the settings are stored in the MC Master Control of the Aircraft but sometimes things change.  Make sure the RTH  Return To Home settings have not changed and the Umits of measure have not gone back to Metric or Imperial.  I personally go through each page of the settings to be sure.  

- You cant Rollback the Battery Firmware once installed. Once Installed that’s it.  ( Battery Only)

-When doing a Rollback, confirm the Current firmware on the Aircraft and then Rollback Firmware in Order.  If at 1.6 you can only Rollback to 1.5. If at 1.7 can only rollback to 1.6 etc.  

I hope this helps anyone struggeling ,  Please add your tips and I will add them to the list.

All the best to you and yours - donnie

Thanks Donnie, life saver I use my P3P for work and I was getting nervous but I followed your advice and found the current upgrade 1.8 and now I'm back in the sky.
Thanks Alot
2016-4-7
Use props
Fbu.com
New

New Zealand

Donnie Posted at 2016-4-7 21:52
You must update both the Aircraft and the RC for everything to work on this particular update  ...

Cheers Donnie, your a life saver...I use my P3P for work and you got me back in the sky
2016-4-7
Use props
PCTInspire
lvl.3

United Kingdom

helidan Posted at 2016-4-7 15:40
Does fw update reset all settings back to default?  I've only done one fw update and that was when I ...

After any firmware update perform a FULL IMU CALIBRATION, some people also undertake stick calibration as well. Compass calibration is a pre requisite to accompany any firmware update or change of flight location.

Cheers

Phil
2016-4-7
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PCTInspire Posted at 2016-4-8 08:30
After any firmware update perform a FULL IMU CALIBRATION, some people also undertake stick calibra ...

No worries, I'll re calibrate everything later on.  Will leave the craft outside for an hour or so to get it a bit cooler for IMU calibration.
2016-4-8
Use props
Murilo Carmello
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1562549 ft
Israel

After the Up-grade, remember to check all parameters, for me the RTH was misconfigured
After a small test yesterday, I believed that the bird is more stable
2016-4-8
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

windgate Posted at 2016-4-7 21:46
I too found that I could not upgrade the RC. Once I updated the DJI Go app to the latest version tod ...

you have to update the RC through the go app so you will need wifi or 3/4 G connection...
2016-4-8
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

BRENT1956@GMAIL Posted at 2016-4-7 23:58
How ? when there is no 2.7.2 for ios?

thats for android, after updating fw for p3p/a, just restart the go app for iOS and it will let you know the RC firmware needs updating, it downloads it via the app and installs it.
2016-4-8
Use props
kancur
lvl.2
Flight distance : 495144 ft
Slovakia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-8 03:51
Glad you got it all up and running.

Hi ken, is there a solution to preview aspect ratio problem in DJI GO app?
It always stays the same. Only changes when you restart the app.

If you choose 4:3 in your photo settings, restart the app, then the preview will be 4:3 no matter if you choose photo or video or whatever aspect ratio you choose, the image will get distorted to match the 4:3.
I have Nvidia shield tablet.

Some threads regarding the problem:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=46575
http://forum.dji.com/thread-46111-1-1.html
http://forum.dji.com/thread-46096-1-1.html
Thanks
2016-4-8
Use props
rogerkapsalis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1340610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try re-linking the RC to the drone
2016-4-8
Use props
rogerkapsalis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1340610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try linking the RC again. Sounds like the problem.
2016-4-8
Use props
Buzz Lightyear
lvl.2

United Kingdom

FW update loaded with no issues whatsoever Phantom 3 advanced, Ipad mini 4 on ios 9.3.1....App on 2.7.1, Aircraft on 1.8,80, Rc on 1.6.0
2016-4-8
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Buzz Lightyear Posted at 2016-4-8 21:31
FW update loaded with no issues whatsoever Phantom 3 advanced, Ipad mini 4 on ios 9.3.1....App on 2. ...

I had to deinstall and reinstall DJI Go ((IOS) in order to get the RC to update but, apart from that, I've also had no problems.  I tested DJI Go, Litchi and Vertical Studio today and, whilst not an exhaustive test, they all appeared to work just fine. There were no noticeable differences in flight characteristics for me.
2016-4-8
Use props
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

Fbu.com Posted at 2016-4-8 01:12
You must update both the Aircraft and the RC for everything to work on this particular update . ...

"... Also Capt Russ.  If you just bought a battery You can update it with the new FW... As far as deleting the Go App..."

Fbu, thank you for that thoughtful, comprehensive and helpful reply.  Enjoy your flying.

btw:  Feel free to call me Russ; only my wife has to address me as Captain.  Nah, that's a bad joke... don't let her see that I wrote that lol... she's the "boss" ;) .
2016-4-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

kancur Posted at 2016-4-8 19:24
Hi ken, is there a solution to preview aspect ratio problem in DJI GO app?
It always stays the sa ...

Actually I just tried and it is working fine for me. The preview photos are shown in what I took them with. I'm not sure why that is happening for you.Try deleting and reinstalling the app.

2016-4-8
Use props
dimitris.thass
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140607 ft
  • >>>
Greece

My RC is Bricked after trying to update now is light blue , any help
2016-4-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

dimitris.thass Posted at 2016-4-8 22:07
My RC is Bricked after trying to update now is light blue , any help

What led this to happen, can you explain the exact steps you took.
Try this below and then connecting back to the app and see f it asks for a firmware update. If it correctly updates the RC to 1.6 then your good. After that if it will not link to the aircraft, then relink (in the manual)

Hold down the C1,C2,video, and camera settings dial. Then while all of them are pressed, power up the RC and then let go after you hear the beeps (the beeps are immediately)
2016-4-8
Use props
dimitris.thass
lvl.4
  • >>>
Greece

the usual steps, i think, the new app and update the firmware then restart the RC  and light blue not connect with phantom ,i read about " i Hold down the C1,C2,video........" but downloading the firmware 1.6.0 and when to update nothing happend for 5 min and it says retry
2016-4-8
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Fbu.com Posted at 2016-4-8 00:15
Cheers Donnie, your a life saver...I use my P3P for work and you got me back in the sky

Oh man I am pleased I was able to help, love to pay it forward in this great hobby.  Means a lot Thank You

Donnie
2016-4-8
Use props
waveplaner424
New

United Kingdom

What's going on DJI
2016-4-8
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

dimitris.thass Posted at 2016-4-8 09:26
the usual steps, i think, the new app and update the firmware then restart the RC  and light blue no ...

Please also Read my Tutorial on this .  Try Kens idea first and then if you still have a Light blue Led on the transmitter  please go to my link and use a thumb drive or adapter and follow my Instructions EXACTLY.  

i just updated the file

http://forum.dji.com/thread-47577-1-1.html

donnie
2016-4-8
Use props
FlyGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106483 ft
Belgium

Since the DJI Go app didn't prompt me to update I removed it from my iPad and reinstalled it.
When I now open the app I can choose between the Phantom 3 adv, pro and 4. However, the moment I switch on my remote I can still choose but only by choosing Phantom 4 the camera icon shows up. If I choose Phantom 3 adv or pro it will only show "how to connect" ? Any suggestions ? I think if I do update it will update the software for the RC of the Phantom 4 instead of my Phantom 3 adv.
2016-4-8
Use props
FlyGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106483 ft
Belgium

After several attempts the right Bird appears and I able the choose the Phantom 3 adv.  I'll wait to update for a few days.  Just in case.
2016-4-8
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

FlyGuy Posted at 2016-4-8 09:59
Since the DJI Go app didn't prompt me to update I removed it from my iPad and reinstalled it.
When I ...

The Go app did not prompt you to do an update because  it needs a  Internet connection.   Make sure your I pad has a WI-FI internet connection , plug in the RC to the I pad MAKE SURE AIRCRAFT IS OFF.  When the RC is connected to the Go app it will know what to open.  

Make sure and update the aircraft first though  .  MAKE SURE TRANSMITTER OFF when updating .  Do not try and update both at same time.  Do the Aircraft first then go on to the RC.
Please read my tips page  it is one of the above posts. or link is here

http://forum.dji.com/thread-45630-1-1.html

donnie  

donnie
2016-4-8
Use props
dimitris.thass
lvl.4
  • >>>
Greece

Donnie Posted at 2016-4-8 17:47
Please also Read my Tutorial on this .  Try Kens idea first and then if you still have a Light blu ...

nothing happend , no beep no update
thanks
2016-4-8
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

dimitris.thass Posted at 2016-4-8 10:10
nothing happend , no beep no update
thanks

dimitris.thass First off Do you have a blue light on the Transmitter  right now ?  Did you load the 1.6 on a thumb drive on to the RC transmitter with it off.  Then with the File loaded on the Thumb drive , turn on transmitter , the light should turn red and beep and then eventually go solid red  and stop beeping.
Did you read the Full Page Tutorial

Make sure the thumb drive is clean and formatted , No other files on it.  

2016-4-8
Use props
dimitris.thass
lvl.4
  • >>>
Greece

blue light on the Transmitter yes, download and transfer the .bin in to thumb drive then with the RC transmitter off i plug the thumb drive  and i turn on the RC  no beep nothing
2016-4-8
Use props
Don W
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12664 ft
United States

dimitris.thass Posted at 2016-4-8 08:23
blue light on the Transmitter yes, download and transfer the .bin in to thumb drive then with the RC ...

to update the controller simply turn on your controller then start the app on your phone, the controller gets updated through the app and not a USB port
2016-4-8
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

dimitris.thass Posted at 2016-4-8 10:23
blue light on the Transmitter yes, download and transfer the .bin in to thumb drive then with the RC ...

I would try another Thumb drive.  I have done Many repairs with this file .  I am sorry it is not working for you.  Please try another device and   make sure the USB port is not damaged.  I am sorry this is not working but 3 folks from Germany texted me that it worked and 1 American.   I think it may be a bad thumb drive.  I have never had it not work.  There is always the chance that your Transmitter is just broken.
Send me an email and I will send you the file in response

donaldjames1990@gmail.com

donnie
2016-4-8
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

Don W Posted at 2016-4-8 10:29
to update the controller simply turn on your controller then start the app on your phone, the cont ...

Don, I appreciate the Input. This particular Forum member could not get it to work the traditional way through the Device and go app.  I have the RC transmitter FW on file that can just be uploaded directly to the RC.   I use this when members have there RC locked up with a blue LED light on the RC.  They then can not get theFW to Upload.  Again thanks for trying to help.

Nice Name and initials !!

Cheers-  Donnie W
2016-4-8
Use props
falexander115
New

United States

Upgraded P3A, RC, and DJI Go with no issues.
2016-4-8
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

dimitris.thass Posted at 2016-4-8 10:23

Did you already update the Aircraft?    Was it a success ?  Also when you use a new  FRESH formatted Thumb drive  to load the file on the RC.  Please read the files Hidden log and let me know the result .  If you dont know how to read the Hidden log let me know.

You are not using a MAC to upload this file are you. ?  If so try and use a PC.  MACS always seem to  leave data on the Thumb drive or SD card and cause trouble.  NOT ALWAYS but enough for me to notice .

keep me posted-  donnie
2016-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules