Follow my phones
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phrogz
lvl.1
United States

I used my P3 to video some friends playing Ultimate Frisbee for the first time yesterday.
However, as the videographer, I did not get to play (and I didn't want to hand the controls to anyone else).

I'm trying to figure out how to get "automatic" filming of a game with no one controlling the UAV. I could just set the location and camera to cover the whole field and play, but that would be a boring video. I'd love to get some sort of tracker in the disc (frisbee) itself and track that, but that's gonna require serious, robust, custom electronics.

The Hexo+ drone (https://hexoplus.com/) claims to follow you via your phone. Now, just having the P3 follow *me* would be kinda cool (and way better if I only had to have a phone in my pocket instead of the whole damned controller) but I'm personally not always the focus of the game. Indeed, I'm lazy, and usually far behind the action. I want it to film where everyone is.

So, here's the idea:

DJI, it would be really cool if you could register *multiple* phones with a controller, and have the camera and flight track the aggregation of all of them. Or the median 80% of them. Or whatever.

What do people think?

Alternatively, it would also be pretty cool if DJI sold custom 'tracker' devices that I could pre-register and then give out to everyone involved in the game. But that's custom hardware, and would take longer to develop than "just software" needed to track a bunch of phones.
2016-4-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The technology required to follow an item is pretty serious, you need a really good GPS receiver and a transmitter, neither of which is really practical to build into something like a Frizbee. And anything that moves quickly or is not moving in a stable plane would not work, as good GPS reception relies upon a stable receiving platform.

2016-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules