Feedback on Osmos' Color
1715 9 2016-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stevencossio
lvl.1

United States

Team-
I made a short video of my sons 4th birthday. I had posted recently asking for best video / color settings and I hope this video shows kind of what im talking about.
In this video I used both a GoPro4 Hero Black and DJI Osmo.

From the beginning of the video up until 1:22 I used a Gopro. You can probably tell because of the shaking video. This was the quality of the GoPro with no color edits NO PROTUNE settings. It was just RAW MP4 Video straight from the gopro into the Final Cut X on my Mac. There was no color enhancing of any kind or effects applied to the video. IMO the GOPRO captures great color / contrast / exposure.  Everything to me seems balanced and HD looking.

From Minute 1:23 and on for most of the rest of the video i used the OSMO. Format MOV which Mac's Handle and process natively easier. The Camera & Gimbal did its Job and performed well to my expectations, I took a total of 4 batteries and managed to capture a lot of footage on just 2 batteries. Im happy with the Osmo and its stabilizing functions. My concern is getting the video to look just as my GoPro footage as far as colors / contrast and exposure. If you notice on the kids faces the faces look darker kind of brownish / redish tone. Background sky seems overexposed and im having a hard time getting the right settings. Here is what I did.

On the Osmo I have it set to Style -  "Custom"  I have all 3 options such as contrast and the other 2 set to (-2) I feel that If i have it all at 0 the video looks over sharpened and the shadows look too black and way to vivid. I was looking for more natural tones and someone suggested I change these settings to help improve.  I also have D-Log as my color profile because it looks a bit more natural that way. if I choose "NONE" i end up with that over saturated look.

Can someone please share some insight as to what I can do. Can you see how the GoPro captures all subjects and background it great color with no problems?

I DO NOT OWN ANY ND FILTERS. Could this possibly make a difference? If so which ones would I use if im recording 90% of the time in sunny parks like the one in the video?
I appreciate every ones help and comments. Thanks.

Reminder to focus on just the color profiles. I know the video is very ameteur like and i strictly do them for "Family videos" to enjoy them with family and friends nothing professional lol so dont BASH me on my cinematography and editing skills lol!

Link:

2016-4-8
Use props
stevencossio
lvl.1

United States

So about 40 people have seen this post an no one can give me some advice?
2016-4-10
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello!
Thanks for your feedback and the video! Happy birthday to your son!
First, please read the specification of the Osmo in our official website: http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/info
Second, I would suggest visit these tutorial about Osmo for some shooting points:
Third, you can also read more articles about some knowledge about digital camera and the skills about how to shoot a good footage, eg. http://www.digitalcameraworld.co ... utely-have-to-know/
2016-4-10
Use props
soundseen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23054 ft
Japan

Hey Steven,
Nice birthday shooting. Big Fun 4 kids!
For sure the Tutorial Video is a good start.
From infos I got through different Oslo/Inspire Users:
-D-Log: best option to get neutral color: set custom style on -3 for all---> IF ONLY you make color grading post prod If not D-LOG isn't the best !
-ND-Filter is the only way ton properly control over-exposed part
Of course activate the zebra: settings-> camera->Over Exposure Warning. The Stripes indicate all part over 85% so the burning parts.
Outdoor I mostly use the ND2-400 from Newer:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-I ... ilter/dp/B013BA5QAO
Quit nice results.

Why should you make color grading?
Exactly to correct the skin tone on your shots and give a more natural aspect on the global result
Check a super nice introduction of color correction by Larry Jordan

Hope it's help
2016-4-12
Use props
stevencossio
lvl.1

United States

soundseen Posted at 2016-4-12 18:19
Hey Steven,
Nice birthday shooting. Big Fun 4 kids!
For sure the Tutorial Video is a good start.

Awesome-
Thanks so much for the feedback.
Im using D-Log for a more natural look and I have the other settings set to -2
I dont have any plans to do POST color correction or processing. I want to be able to get the RAW video as accurate as possible to real life similar to my GoPro Footage
When you said I should put D-Log and all other settings at (-3) is the -3 only for post process?
Will D-Log give me better color  if I dont want to use Post process?

What ND filter do you use and do you have any sample footage you can share?
All my footage will be near a beach and parks in sunny day light. I live in Miami Florida USA, so what type of ND filter would you recommend?

Thanks and I appologize for asking such amateur questions.
2016-4-15
Use props
lagolddog
lvl.1

United States

All devices will impart color.  Kinda sure you are being stupid wanting an Osmo to provide your ideal color bias.  Best suggestion I have for you is to get your crap together in post.  This product is solid even if it has it's unique traits. Learn to deal with it just like you would a new car.  This is a low cost high return product. Way ahead of the curve.  You are not gonna break any hearts with your displeasure.

Cheers and Osmo on... there is your advice unless you want to go pro video.
2016-4-15
Use props
soundseen
lvl.2
Japan

ND filters video explained
2016-5-5
Use props
soundseen
lvl.2
Japan

http://youtu.be/_0f_rryWJ_0
2016-5-5
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

For our people, to watch it directly here.

DJI OSMO(Tutorial): How to adjust your shutter speed and frame rate for the best video quality

2016-5-5
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

China

soundseen Posted at 2016-5-6 09:59

Thanks! soundseen.
2016-5-5
Use props
Advanced