4751 16 2016-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
david.p.mann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Need some help.  I haven't used my Inspire 1 Slave RC in months.  I don't know what firmware version it has but I definitely need to update it.  The firmware may be several versions out of date. I have updated Master RC and Inspire 1 to latest firmware successfully (version 1.8.01.00 on aircraft and 1.6.0 on Master RC).  The Slave links to Master (purple light on Slave RC) and I can control Inspire 1 Camera gimbal using sticks on Slave.  BUT I do not see live video on latest DJI GO app (2.7.1) on IPad mini linked to Slave RC. The DJI GO app on iPad linked to slave RC in Remote Controller Settings does not show Master and Slave and it does not show RC firmware in About section.  I don't think the iPad is seeing the Slave RC.  HELP!

How do I update the firmware on the Slave RC if the iPad doesn't see it!  Any suggestions for getting my dual RC system fully functional again would be appreciated.

UPDATE:  I solved my problem by replacing the HDMI module (see my post below).
2016-4-8
Use props
david.p.mann
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I solved my own problem.  After searching on this forum and on PhantomPilots forum I learned from DJI reps that if you get the message "DISCONNECTED" on your connected device (in my case, an IPad Air 2 and an iPad Mini 3), that either the USB cable is bad OR the USB port on the RC has gone bad.  Note: this is NOT the same as the "AIRCRAFT DISCONNECTED" message, which just means the RC is connected but the Inspire 1 has not yet been powered ON.  The message "DISCONNECTED" on the iPad at the top of the CAMERA view screen, the inability to see or set MASTER or SLAVE status in RC settings, and the inability to see the RC firmware version in the ABOUT section of the DJI GO app all indicate that there is not a working connection between the iPad and the RC.  Again, this means either the USB-lightning cable is bad or the USB port on the RC is not working.

First, I tried two other lightning cables that worked with my MASTER controller and its attached iPad and neither fixed the DISCONNECTED problem trying to link my Slave RC to its attached iPad.  So much for the cheap, inexpensive fix.

Fortunately, I had a spare unboxed Phantom 3 HDMI Module that I recently purchased to install on my new P4, but I hadn't gotten around to installing it yet.

So, I checked on several forums and two DJI reps and several Inspire owners all confirmed that - YES - the Phantom 3 HDMI Module (nominal $100 part) works not only on the new Phantom 4, but it can also be used to replace a faulty USB/HDMI port on the Inspire 1 RCs.  

So, first I replaced just the bare HDMI module circuit board and tried reusing the old white plastic USB/HDMI module housing (which, it turns out, also has a circuit board in it in addition to a mini HDMI connector).  This, did NOT fix the problem.  So, I then ALSO replaced the white plastic USB/HDMI module cover (and internal circuit board) with the new one from the kit and, voila, that FIXED THE PROBLEM!  Thus, I did have a failed HDMI/USB circuit board on my Inspire 1 Slave RC. That is surprising since this slave RC has seen less than 1 hour of total use to date! But, I'm pleased I was able to fix the DISCONNECTED problem by replacing the HDMI/USB module without needing to send the RC in to DJI for repair.

I threw out the OLD white module cover that I removed from my Slave RC, because I know it, at least, is bad.  I kept the old HDMI/USB circuit card that I removed from the Slave RC as a potential spare (although it may also be bad).

The iPad connected to my Slave RC could now see the Slave RC and the DJI GO app indicated that the RC needed a firmware update.  The firmware update downloaded and the install completed successfully.

I then power cycled the Slave RC and in the DJI GO app, under RC settings, I set the RC to SLAVE, assigned a name, and searched for the MASTER.  It found it within 5 seconds, entered the MASTER password, and live video from the Inspire now appeared on my Slave RC as well as the Master RC.  YEAH!!!!

Other things I learned from reading lots of posts and reviewing instructional videos:
- You can link only one RC (the MASTER) to the Inspire 1; you do NOT link the Slave to the Inspire 1.  If you link a second RC to the Inspire 1, the link to the first MASTER RC will be lost.
- You can RESET the Slave RC (or the MASTER RC) by pressing and holding down three buttons (C1, C2 and the photo button on right rear next to Play button) with the RC ON and while pressing and holding down these three buttons turn the RC OFF, continue holding the three buttons and then turn the RC back ON. RC will beep and the RC light will be RED.
2016-4-9
Use props
MikeFrey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4661821 ft
  • >>>

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-4-10 05:29
I solved my own problem.  After searching on this forum and on PhantomPilots forum I learned from DJ ...

Hi David, thank you for sharing the solution that worked for you. Unfortunately, I find myself in exactly the same boat that you described. I just wanted to ask if you attempted to force the update on the Slave RC by connecting it to a card with the updated .bin file on it? I thought that might possibly trigger the update, rather than replacing the HDMI unit??

Thanks,

Mike
2016-7-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

MikeFrey Posted at 2016-7-26 02:05
Hi David, thank you for sharing the solution that worked for you. Unfortunately, I find myself in  ...

It all depends on what firmware you have on the RC. The last .bin file that had a RC download package was 1.3. After that, all the RC firmware is downloaded via the GO app. If your RC's firmware is older than 1.3, then you could attempt to force update the RC, otherwise, you would need to use the OP's method.
2016-7-26
Use props
david.p.mann
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

MikeFrey Posted at 2016-7-25 13:05
Hi David, thank you for sharing the solution that worked for you. Unfortunately, I find myself in  ...

Mike,

In my case attempting to force an update using a USB stick with firmware .bin file on it would not have worked because the USB port on my slave RC was no longer working. If the DJI GO app on the tablet connected to your slave RC is indicating "DISCONNECTED" either you have a bad USB cable or the USB port on the RC is not working.
2016-7-26
Use props
mike9887
lvl.2
Flight distance : 220292 ft
United States

David, I was in the same situation where I had not used my slave unit in several months.  When I upgraded the firmware in my slave unit, it now thinks it is a Mavic.  As a Mavic controller it does not have the option of a slave controller so I cannot connect into the master controller nor the Inspire.  I have tried a hard reset on the slave unit but it still keeps coming up as a Mavic.... I contacted DJI and they walked me through the hard reset but again with no success.  They want me to send the controller back to the factory (not under warranty) to fix the unit.  I probably have less than 1 hour use on the slave unit.  Do you have any suggestions before I send the unit back?
2017-3-19
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

mike9887 Posted at 2017-3-19 05:59
David, I was in the same situation where I had not used my slave unit in several months.  When I upgraded the firmware in my slave unit, it now thinks it is a Mavic.  As a Mavic controller it does not have the option of a slave controller so I cannot connect into the master controller nor the Inspire.  I have tried a hard reset on the slave unit but it still keeps coming up as a Mavic.... I contacted DJI and they walked me through the hard reset but again with no success.  They want me to send the controller back to the factory (not under warranty) to fix the unit.  I probably have less than 1 hour use on the slave unit.  Do you have any suggestions before I send the unit back?

Did you ever do an update to the slave RC. ?? If so I would try to roll it back to the Previous FW and then try to load it with the correct One .

Just to confirm , you did use this  RC as a slave in the past is that correct ?  If so rolling back the FW should work .  

I have never heard of this before .....strange

*** When you plug the RC ( turn the Rc on of course )  into the go app does it give the Picture of the Mavic ?  does it say "camera ' in the blue oval or does it say "How to connect"  can you scroll to other aircraft at all ?? If you can than it is not connecting actually to the RC transmitter .

Let  me know on this , Interesting quandry ( not to you of course , you want the dam thing to work !!)

good luck

donnie

2017-3-19
Use props
mike9887
lvl.2
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-19 06:04
Did you ever do an update to the slave RC. ?? If so I would try to roll it back to the Previous FW and then try to load it with the correct One .

Just to confirm , you did use this  RC as a slave in the past is that correct ?  If so rolling back the FW should work .  

I have not tried to go back to a previous firmware.  I did remove the Go App from my tablet and then re-install it.  After re-installing it, it asked what to connect to.  I selected Inspire 1.  I turned off the controller and re-started it.  The controller reverted back to Mavic...   I will try to delete the Go app again and re-install.  After installing the app I will then turn on the Inspire to see if I can connect that way.  
Yes I have updated the firmware in the past but not on a regular basis.  
If re-installing the app and turning on the Inspire doesn't work, I will try to downgrade to the previous firmware on the Inspire.
2017-3-19
Use props
mike9887
lvl.2
United States

When I turn on the RC it gives a picture of the Mavic.  Mine has a gray oval button that says camera.  
2017-3-19
Use props
mike9887
lvl.2
United States

Yes, this is and always has been a slave unit.  I have only used it one time while flying and a couple of times inside just to play with the camera.
2017-3-19
Use props
mike9887
lvl.2
United States

How would I roll back the firmware on the controller since it upgrades on-line?
2017-3-19
Use props
mike9887
lvl.2
United States

My master controller works fine, it is just the slave unit that is saying Mavic.
2017-3-19
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

mike9887 Posted at 2017-3-19 08:06
My master controller works fine, it is just the slave unit that is saying Mavic.

Just watch the video below  to see how it is done , Make sure you have good  wi- fi reception  to go app device . It is fairly simple but watch the video and if you have any questions let me know .
AIRCRAFT IS OFF BY THE WAY  

donnie

2017-3-19
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

What version of firmware is on the Slave right now ?  is it 1.6 or what ?
You dont own a Mavic as well do you ? .  i just dont know how the Mavic FW could have gotten loaded on your device , Just want to make sure you dont have a Mavic
RC transmitter by mistake .  You say you have used it in the past  for the slave to the Inspire so the Old FW MUST be able to revert to .  

If the above rollback does not work try the Hard reset below.  

Do it this way :With the RC transmitteer OFF Press and hold firmly  the C1 C2 on back of the RC  then  the Red picture button on (top left)  of R  and the ISO wheel  detent ( top right ) You push it down hard til you feel the click, like changing the ISO value but you just keep it pressed down  (does not matter order just press them  ALL firmly and hold )  .  With all 4 pressed down HARD you turn on the RC  wait about 7 seconds then let go . This is a hard reset and should take it back to the original config.

The aircraft is OFF during above procedure as well.

donnie

2017-3-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-19 08:22
What version of firmware is on the Slave right now ?  is it 1.6 or what ?
You dont own a Mavic as well do you ? .  i just dont know how the Mavic FW could have gotten loaded on your device , Just want to make sure you dont have a Mavic
RC transmitter by mistake .  You say you have used it in the past  for the slave to the Inspire so the Old FW MUST be able to revert to .  

Donnie, I saw your avatar and had to change mine too!  As you know, I have had my Inspire 1 V1 for a long time now ... you made me smile

Hope I make you smile too
Rich

2017-3-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think this is very strange and I would reset the controller first (see steps below) or set it back to Master and relink it to the Inspire 1 (** Steps below),  Then lastly   revert to the previous remote  FW.

Try to reset the remote controller.
* Turn on the controller, and the aircraft should be off.
* Press C1, C2, and shutter on the controller then turn the controller off.

** Manually relink the aircraft to the RC using the following:

* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller.
* Press C1, C2, and the record button on the controller, then the controller will beep like D-DD.
*Let go all fingers, press the wheel on the right side of the controller and then the first light of the controller will become blue and it will constantly beep DDDD.
* Use a pen to click the linking button on the aircraft and hold for 3-5 seconds, and then take the pen off the aircraft and wait, it will be linked soon.

Rich
2017-3-19
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-3-19 20:20
Donnie, I saw your avatar and had to change mine too!  As you know, I have had my Inspire 1 V1 for a long time now ... you made me smile

Hope I make you smile too

Glad you like it brother , ( say that  in. Donald Duck voice , it sounds better ! )

donnie
2017-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules