My new advanced crashed down above water.
2201 38 2016-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
siep
lvl.2

Netherlands

I just got my new Advanced, had a Standard before and did the Firmware upgrade..(everything seemd fine)
Today it just falled out of the sky and is gone..
It was a little more than 300meter from me and then ( I saw that later  on the Flight record) "warning: propulsion output is limited to ensure the safety of the battery"
Return home did not work!
I flew F-GPS my battery was 26 %, hight 51 meter.

I saw the casche clip were it just fell out of the sky, but it's seems it's not there anymore (?)

What to do?

Regards
Siep

2016-4-11
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you take off with a fully charged battery?.

Is there any way you can recover the P3?
2016-4-11
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Can you post the flight record and clip?
That might help?
2016-4-11
Use props
siep
lvl.2

Netherlands

Tmygun Posted at 2016-4-11 16:14
Can you post the flight record and clip?
That might help?

The P3 is underwater, not possible to pick up.. Where can I find the clip I saw ..it was there (in cache memory?) The battery was not full I made a few flights before..but it was safe! And when there was a battery warning I pressed 'return to home' It was only 300 meters from me.. In the flight record there is a notice that the battery was still 27% when it fell down/

Thanks for help

Siep
2016-4-11
Use props
siep
lvl.2

Netherlands

siep Posted at 2016-4-11 16:21
The P3 is underwater, not possible to pick up.. Where can I find the clip I saw ..it was there (in ...

I made a screen shot from the flight log..Can email that?
2016-4-11
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Unfortunately if the battery was not fully charged the percentage of charge is not as important as the voltage level.

I've learned through testing that a partially depleted battery can, over time, loose voltage far faster then it will loose charge capacity.
I did a test one time were I took a battery that had a 70% charge and had been sitting for a week.........tried a quick takeoff and immediately got a  "Propulsion Warning" just like you.  That was with a battery with 70% charge!  Fortunately I was just testing.....and was only a few dozen feet up.  Once I charged the battery fully, it worked perfectly.

Here's the real problem.....if the voltage is critically low.....the Phantom will execute a "Critical Battery" landing which means it will land right where it is.........regardless of battery percentage.
I believe (and one of the moderators probably know better then I) that they came up with an update a while ago to keep the batteries from shutting off immediately if they got critically low voltage.  This way there was at least a chance to land the Phantom 3 before the battery was be depleated

One of the things that DJI says in the user manual and battery literature is ALWAYS start a flight with a fully charged battery.  While I don't know for a fact this is what happened to you, that's what it sounds like.
2016-4-11
Use props
siep
lvl.2

Netherlands

Tmygun Posted at 2016-4-11 16:39
Unfortunately if the battery was not fully charged the percentage of charge is not as important as t ...

I had it for 3 day's .. all new. So it means that you can't fly a smal part and land it?
That's what I did. I started the aircraft again and it gave me 'green and safe to fly', also for the battery..
Did I do something wrong?

Regards
Siep

2016-4-11
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

siep Posted at 2016-4-11 10:52
I had it for 3 day's .. all new. So it means that you can't fly a smal part and land it?
That's w ...

If you charged it fully and used it the same day.......no you didn't do anything wrong.

Contact DJI support clicking on the link below:

DJI Support

Also you can upload your flight record from your mobile device to Healthydrones.com and then post the results here, and there are lots of people including me that will take a look at them and see if we can help you figure it out.

Below is the link to Healty Drones

Healthy Drones

Hope this helps!
2016-4-11
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

siep Posted at 2016-4-11 10:52
That's w ...

All that being said......26% is a low percentage to take off again with........you said you were 300 meters out and 51 meters high over water.  That's a pretty far distance to be taking off with a battery that had 26% capacity left.  The only reason the propulsion warning comes on is if the voltage has dropped to a dangerous level in one or more of the cells.

Did the P3 drop like it was out of power or auto land in a controlled decent?

Again the results from healthy drones will go a long way in helping diagnose what happened
2016-4-11
Use props
siep
lvl.2

Netherlands

Tmygun Posted at 2016-4-11 17:17
All that being said......26% is a low percentage to take off again with........you said you were 3 ...

It dropped down, it did make NOT a controlled landing or something like that. I saw it on the clip,  that it dropped radically. I will try to upload the flight record. In the flight record you can also see that it suddenly turns and turns.

Thanks
Siep
2016-4-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

siep Posted at 2016-4-11 16:57
It dropped down, it did make NOT a controlled landing or something like that. I saw it on the clip, ...

Was the weather cold?  What about the battery temperature, was the battery cold?
2016-4-11
Use props
siep
lvl.2

Netherlands

nigelw Posted at 2016-4-11 18:07
Was the weather cold?  What about the battery temperature, was the battery cold?

It was a little windy and the temp. was around 12-13 degrees celsius..And I waited till aircraft warmed up and 'safe to fly' ?

Siep
2016-4-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

siep Posted at 2016-4-11 18:30
It was a little windy and the temp. was around 12-13 degrees celsius..And I waited till aircraft w ...

Not too cold then.

It would help of you could upload the flight record from your device onto healthydrones.com or similar & share it on here to see if anything looks off.
2016-4-11
Use props
madaerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 512251 ft
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-4-11 13:02
Not too cold then.

It would help of you could upload the flight record from your device onto heal ...

Hey Nigel.

I had the Phantom 1 but never really got to fly it much in the winter. Since you mentioned it, what is the standard acceptable "too cold" limit? I live in WI, and hopefully won't have to worry about it for a couple of months at least, but..... it will eventually impact me.
2016-4-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

madaerial Posted at 2016-4-11 20:56
Hey Nigel.

I had the Phantom 1 but never really got to fly it much in the winter. Since you menti ...

I've not heard of anyone not being able to fly due to cold, but I do know that my hands give up long before my P3.  I need to get a pair of gloves that work with an iPad screen.

The coldest I've flown in is  -7°C (19°F), but others have flown in much colder conditions.  The main thing to remember is to make sure the battery's warm before flying.  I normally use chemical hand warmers in my backpack, pressed against the batteries to keep them warm when out walking any distance, then, once in the aircraft, hover 8ft in the air until the temperature reaches 20°C, which is usually about 2 minutes.
2016-4-11
Use props
siep
lvl.2

Netherlands

nigelw Posted at 2016-4-11 22:57
I've not heard of anyone not being able to fly due to cold, but I do know that my hands give up lo ...

I will try and upload..Do you mean the screen shot that you get when you open Flight Record in the DJI GO app?
How can I post the jpg here? Or do you mean something else with the flight Record.
I also did sync it with DJI.

Thanks for help
Siep
2016-4-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

siep Posted at 2016-4-11 22:03
I will try and upload..Do you mean the screen shot that you get when you open Flight Record in the ...

No, go to healthydrones.com, register with the site & follow the instructions to upload your flight records.  You can then see what's happened along the flight & get a link to share it on here if you want so others can spot any likely problems.

There's also http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2016-4-11
Use props
siep
lvl.2

Netherlands

Thanks,
You mean I can do that to get as much info as possible and also share info..
But I also have to share it with DJI, don't I ?
Maybe the reconize it as a failure?
Or should'nd I to be that optimistic?

Yegards
Siep

2016-4-11
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

siep Posted at 2016-4-12 07:03
I will try and upload..Do you mean the screen shot that you get when you open Flight Record in the ...

This site will give more details than HealthyDrones.

Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record from the tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides
2016-4-11
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

madaerial Posted at 2016-4-12 03:56
Hey Nigel.

I had the Phantom 1 but never really got to fly it much in the winter. Since you menti ...

Naw, check out these Russians who got bored and attached a chainsaw to a drone and started chopping heads are snowmen lol

2016-4-11
Use props
oks4n4
lvl.2

Indonesia

Another noob flying without pay attention to battery's voltage...
2016-4-11
Use props
PommyDownUnder
lvl.2

Australia

oks4n4 Posted at 2016-4-12 09:18

We were all noobs once,  No need to kick the man when he is down.
2016-4-11
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your crash. I'd suggest you to upload your flight record and contact our Europe service center as below.Then provide them your DJI account.
Email: support.eu@dji.com
Phone:+49(0)97479304200
Monday to Friday, 9:00AM-5:00PM (German Time GMT+1:00)
Online Support:Monday to Friday, 11:00AM-6:00PM (Netherlands Time UTC/GMT +1)
2016-4-11
Use props
siep
lvl.2

Netherlands

PommyDownUnder Posted at 2016-4-12 07:58
We were all noobs once,  No need to kick the man when he is down.

Thanks, for stepping in..I left yesterday morning with a fully loaded batery, made just 2 short flight's and for the third (were it went wrong) it gave me 'safe to fly'
and about the voltage (?) I bought the Phantom Advanced just 2 days before the crash, so everything was brand new.
Is it normal or possible with a brand new accu to have a low voltage?

Regards
Siep
2016-4-11
Use props
Homestead72
lvl.2

United Kingdom

oks4n4 Posted at 2016-4-12 02:18

Please can you expand on this?  As another noob I would like to know more about what I should be monitoring (other than the battery percentage as I do now).

If we see the flight log then we will know more, but it does seem that the OP has been a bit unlucky here.
2016-4-11
Use props
siep
lvl.2

Netherlands

Homestead72 Posted at 2016-4-12 08:53
Please can you expand on this?  As another noob I would like to know more about what I should be m ...

As promised here the flight records created by Phantom Help:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/6V6N3OE8260C2DZZN3NR/#

Any thoughts,

Regards
Siep
2016-4-12
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

siep Posted at 2016-4-12 06:59
As promised here the flight records created by Phantom Help:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer ...

It looks like after you got the propulsion warning the P3 actually increased horizontal speed.......was that something you did or was that the P3 out of control.  

Could you please also upload your data to Healthydrones.com and post those results.
2016-4-12
Use props
siep
lvl.2

Netherlands

Tmygun Posted at 2016-4-12 14:05
It looks like after you got the propulsion warning the P3 actually increased horizontal speed..... ...

https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... e_id=SENSORSCompass

I hope this works,

thanks
Siep

2016-4-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

siep Posted at 2016-4-13 01:39
https://healthydrones.com/main?flight=b54f7c2f5a13600f5ee18ef3083fc69a&page_id=SENSORSCompass

I h ...

Since you synced your flight records, what is your email used for your DJI account and I can view your flight and possibly see what happened.
The propulsion output limited is a safety procedure to keep your battery cells from dipping too low. It only limits the power and does not cut off the motors.
2016-4-12
Use props
siep
lvl.2

Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-12 22:37
Since you synced your flight records, what is your email used for your DJI account and I can view  ...

siep@online.nl

thanks and Regards
Siep

2016-4-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

siep Posted at 2016-4-13 05:34
thanks and Regards
Siep

i am looking at your flight and honestly it looks like something hit you. If you play it back in your flight records you can see at 2:25 that you were full throttle at 250m out and 51m up. Right then you can see your camera tilt indicator spin down and the aircraft starts a violent left spin and in 4 seconds it went from 51m to the water. Your battery was 34% when you took off and 26% on impact. I did see a propulsion output limited warning but that had nothing to do with it.
Again, I think something hit you or you hit something.If you were recording video, you should be able play it back in the app.
2016-4-12
Use props
siep
lvl.2

Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-13 00:00
i am looking at your flight and honestly it looks like something hit you. If you play it back in yo ...

Hello Ken,

Thanks for looking, but there was nothing in the sky it was clear..We did not see any bird's or so . After it happened it could look back at the (cache?) clip and I looked at it and there was nothing to see that I hit There was also a witness who saw it all, also the clip. At home I could not see the clip anymore. Maybe there was something with the compass? Or another malfunction?
I was brand new, I just had it for 2 days.

Regards
Siep

2016-4-12
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

siep Posted at 2016-4-13 01:26
Hello Ken,

Thanks for looking, but there was nothing in the sky it was clear..We did not see any  ...

After looking at all the data I can see nothing that jumps out as a compass/IMU, battery or software malfunction.
I have to agree with Ken that it could be a bird strike, or maybe possibly it threw a propellor.  The reason I'm saying that is the data was recording all the way to the water....you said it was not a controlled decent, and the data shows that....it just spun in.
The battery gave a propulsion warning which means it would land, not shut the props down.
The spin into the water seems to indicate one of the props was broken or not attached, imbalancing  the aircraft and causing the spin into the drink.
Without the P3 it's really hard to tell.
Wish I had a better answer.
2016-4-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

siep Posted at 2016-4-13 13:26
Hello Ken,

Thanks for looking, but there was nothing in the sky it was clear..We did not see any  ...

From the main GO app page in the library tab there should be the video. If it's there you can upload it to YouTube.
If there was 100% no chance of it being it by something then the only other solution is a prop came off. And if that happened, then it was not securely attached BUT that's what the fast motor spins are at startup. That makes sure the prop are securely on. When fully on, you can try to remove the prop and if you do not press it down you cannot remove it (unless you force and break it)
So I do not think it was a loss of a prop, I truly think it was hit by something by the violent camera movement and spinning of the aircraft.
The only was I can see it being a prop is if you had an accident and damaged the prop and continued to fly without installing new props.
2016-4-13
Use props
siep
lvl.2

Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-13 17:08
From the main GO app page in the library tab there should be the video. If it's there you can uplo ...

Hello Ken and Tmygun,

Thanks again for you're effort, really appreciated.
The props were absolutely 100%!
We had a good clear view on the lake, and saw no birds.. because if so I would have been 'on guard'.
Assuming there was no hit..what could it have been?
I can't find the video but I will try it again and look for it.

Thanks
Siep

2016-4-13
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

siep Posted at 2016-4-13 12:33
Hello Ken and Tmygun,

Thanks again for you're effort, really appreciated.

Other then a bird strike, based on the data it could only be one of two things.......a propellor getting thrown off or the motor seizing up or stopping.

Looking at the data the motor stopping just doesn't seem possible.

Really to bad the P3 was lost.  I think they can get much more detailed data from the flight recorder.
2016-4-14
Use props
siep
lvl.2

Netherlands

Tmygun Posted at 2016-4-14 19:57
Other then a bird strike, based on the data it could only be one of two things.......a propellor ge ...

Hello dear Forum members,

Today I got this message from DJI.
(English is not my native language..and never dealt with this before but does this message mean DJI will give me a new one?):

" Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting DJI technical support.
This is DJI Data Analysis engineer.

The crash was caused by a quality problem
We will soon arrange a Free-Repair for you.
Please kindly check the form attached and finish it
"

Would be great,

Siep

2016-4-15
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

siep Posted at 2016-4-15 13:40
Hello dear Forum members,

Today I got this message from DJI.

That is just excellent news!  
I think a big thank you should go out to Ken........I suspect he might have had a hand in this outcome.
Good luck my friend and safe flying!
2016-4-15
Use props
siep
lvl.2

Netherlands

Tmygun Posted at 2016-4-15 23:30
That is just excellent news!  
I think a big thank you should go out to Ken........I suspect he mig ...

Great news,

I can't wait to get back in the air.
Thanks to everyone and especially to Ken and DJI

Good luck!

2016-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules