Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello all

I have a Samsung S7 that shoots in 4K on to a 128 Gb card. The  quality  is more than good enough for my needs, but it needs stabilising.  Can anyone briefly summarise how an Osmo at £500 ($800 in UK) is better than say a Lanparte Smartphone 3 axix stabliser at just £200 ($300).
Both offer motorised 3-axis gimbal stabilisation.  Is there any point in paying for another 4K camera when I already have a decent one on a top end smartphone?

Cheers

Ian

2016-4-11
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I own an ikan fly x3 which I use with my iPhone 6s plus, I also own the osmo. I'm selling my osmo. The ikan was 300 bucks the osmo was 600 bucks. Personally I think the iPhone takes better quality stills and video.
2016-4-11
Use props
wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok. That's interesting to hear and does kind of confirm my thoughts.   The ikan fly is similarly spec's to the Lanparte....  
2016-4-11
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-11 12:14
Ok. That's interesting to hear and does kind of confirm my thoughts.   The ikan fly is similarly spe ...

The handheld gimbals work great as long as there balanced correctly, and the battery lasts for 6 hours!! Compared to 1 hour with the osmo, it's hard to shoot timelaps when the battery only last 60 minutes ( osmo)
2016-4-11
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello!
Thanks a lot for your inquiry about DJI OSMO!
I just saw a good video published by one of our Osmo users in another thread (http://forum.dji.com/thread-48380-1-1.html), the video shows us the Osmo's ability of stabilization and the difference compared to iPhone 6 plus.
Please find more in https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=osmo&nohtml5=False
Also, welcome to our Forum and our official website: http://www.dji.com/product/osmo
Hope you'll find the best for yourself after comparison and enjoy!
For any other question, please contact us anytime!
2016-4-11
Use props
wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks Adela
I appreciate the links.  I already own a phantom 3 and am usually on that forum.
I just want to improve the hand-held videos now, hence the question before I decide and buy.

Thanks again
Ian
2016-4-11
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

Hi Ian,
I have both the Lanparte w/ S6 and the Osmo. I got tired of waiting for the Osmo and $ were not the object at the time. It performs really well after you get used to the "flow" of how it reacts. The video is good and it does a great job at smoothing shots. I am using the Osmo with the Inspire X3 camera and it's not better in any way than the S6 video other than the ability to add filters (N4/6).
I'm STILL waiting for the DJI adapter for my X5 camera where I will gain full lens interchangeability w/ my collection of Olympus Primes. Then, I hope to say I will have the great handheld stabilized video I'm after that will seamlessly blend with my aerial work. I will keep both and use them each when the right moment arises.
My advise, get both if you can. At least then I'll have company...
Jay
2016-4-14
Use props
sdchew
lvl.3

Singapore

Well, I would think that the Osmo would give better image quality especially in low light condition especially with D-LOG since it has a larger sensor. In addition, you probably can whip out the Osmo quicker as the phone gyro will probably require a longer setup and balancing
2016-4-16
Use props
lancegriggs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 448327 ft
Puerto Rico

My wife has the Sammy Note 5, and I have the N4. The N5 has the same exact camera as the S7 (oddly the N5 scored bether than S7 in low light for some reason). No smartphone camera will perform as good as Osmo. Simply because the sensor, and the adjustable parameters of the Osmo. But yeah...the difference is almost negligible imo.
2016-4-16
Use props
wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well, I got the Lanparte.  My experience:  It worked, immediately out of the box. No firmware upgrades. No setting up. Just a minute's one-off setting up the counterbalance of the weights for the phone and that's it.
And it does work amazingly well.  
So my advice to anyone would be to compare the specs of the Osmo camera versus the smartphone you plan to use, as the function of the gimbal itself is matched, and the lanparte battery lasts around 3 hours.  
The new large sensor on the Samsung S7 allows for excellent low-level light shooting, and the 4K video is fantastic, and the camera is highly adjustable.  
So for me, I think I've made the right choice,  If I was going to spend another £500 / $800 that the Osmo costs, I'd get a P3A or P3P.  
Thanks again for the comments and pointers.
Ian

2016-4-16
Use props
lancegriggs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 448327 ft
United States

Be sure to comeback on here and post videos of your ohone setup. Id like to compare to my Osmo when i shoot with when it gets in.
2016-4-17
Use props
ChristianLewisP
lvl.1

United Kingdom

What I like about the Osmo with iPhone or any other camera, is that you can use the touch screen to move the camera and gimbal in any direction and very smoothly. If you mobile is on an independent gimbal, you won't be able to use that feature. I use that feature the most. You can also have one person using the Osmo and another person using an iPhone or iPad for even more professional results.
2016-4-17
Use props
robertlc1616
New

United States

Im using a Samsung S6 with a Lanparte HHG-01 Gimbal ($300.00) for about 2 months now. It not only works well, its far better than the Osmo. The Samsung S6 lets you get within 4" and goes to auto-macro. The videos are fantastic! The Osmo will not focus closer than about 4 or 5 Ft.
2016-4-29
Use props
JohnreyAndres
New

Israel

The Galaxy S7 can handle perfect shots with some high-quality gimbals
You might want to check those gimbal stabilizer for smartphone reviews:
https://anytimemagazine.com/best ... one-gimbal-reviews/
to get the one perfect for your needs. have fun shooting
2017-5-31
Use props
Smartphone
New

India

#smartphonegimbalcheap Now very easy to use smartphone camera gimbal with Feiyutech  dvooz.com/feiyutech/dslr-gimbal.html
2017-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules