"NO SIGNAL" everytime I insert the micrSD...
1429 8 2016-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

Not sure if anyone else if having this problem.  I just got my Phantom 4 this past Friday.  Flew it about 7 times in short intervals.  To get to the point:  I kept getting the red NO SIGNAL on my phone, and I couldn't figure out why until this evening.  I noticed that every time I inserted my microSD into the P4 was when it happened.  I basically cannot see my camera on my screen, but I think everything else still works (ie: Return to Home, I know that because it keeps asking me on my screen "Signal Lost.  Return to home?").  Tonight, I repeatedly removed and reinserted the microSD to make sure it was the microSD insertion that was causing and it was.  

I don't know if it's caused by the firmware update since the first thing I did out of the box was updating the firmware.  I don't think I can recall taking photos or videos on the P4 and being able to view live on the screen.

So, anyone having this problem?  If not, seems like I may have a defective unit?  

ThanX!
2016-4-11
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You've got an SD card that your Phantom has taken a dislike to.
Try it with a different card.
2016-4-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Try formatting the SD card using the Go App, that will remove all files on the card and then see if it still misbehaves. If you have done a firmware upgrade, then you don't need those files on the card any longer..
2016-4-11
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Try different SD cards or our original card. If the issue still happens, it would be better to record a video and post it here as well as the screenshot of the firmware version.
2016-4-11
Use props
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

OK...I just solved the problem.  I'm using a 64gb Sandisk Extreme Pro that I had originally used in my Phantom 3 Pro and had over 30gb of photos/videos (in JPEG and RAW) from both the P3P and P4 combined (I took photos from the P4 blind.  Eventhough I couldn't see it, I could still take pictures).  Taking what you guys said up above, I went and, first, put the originally Lexar, and guess what, I was able to see the camera on my screen.  Then I switched out the microSD and put my Sandisk back in again: NO SIGNAL.  Disappointed that my Sandisk didn't work, I was going to format it while in the drone.  But before I did that, I transferred all of my photos/videos to my PC, and I thought maybe if I just delete all the files maybe it will work. So after transferring them over, I deleted all files and folders on the Sandisk and put it back in, and guess what, IT WORK!

So, my question to the developer is, what is the glitch?  Is it because I had too many photos/videos on that card?  The Sandisk was originally formatted as exFat, where as the factory Lexar was formatted Fat32, would that make a difference?  Gosh, I forgot to note the folders or files I had on the Sandisk, but my root only had 3 folders, the DCIM, Android file folder, and another folder I forgot what it was.  However, there wasn't any firmware update file in the root of the Sandisk.  I was thinking maybe it was because of the photos/videos from the Phantom 3 Pro, but I don't think that should effect it, right?  I bought the P4 because I crashed my P3P a few days ago, and unfortunately, my P3P fell from over 100 to it's demise, so the gimbal and camera totally broke off of the quad.  Otherwise, I'd put the Sandisk back into the P3p and take some new photos and try to see if that can cause the error...

(sorry, writing this while very sleepy.  Hope it makes sense)

Thank you again gents!
2016-4-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

meetjoeasian Posted at 2016-4-13 14:37
OK...I just solved the problem.  I'm using a 64gb Sandisk Extreme Pro that I had originally used in  ...

The camera system would not have liked that fact that the SD card was formatted in exFAT, it wants FAT32. But in any event, you said there was a lot of material on the card, and that may have caused the issue. Rather than delete files on the SD card, it is better to make a habit of copying off your files then formatting the card in the aircraft's camera.

The reason for this is to avoid having fragmented files all over the disk. When the camera is recording video, it does not like to have to jump all over the card to use un-occupied 'sectors'.
2016-4-12
Use props
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

United States

I haven't had much time to play with my P4 lately with work and weather not being friendly and all...until this past weekend....

So latest update:  I took the P4 back to Best Buy to exchange it for another.  After doing so, I started using the original Lexar microSD that came with the P4, and it was all fine and dandy at first...I was switching between the Sandisk and the Lexar, and they both seemed to work smoothly.  So I was thinking maybe it was the formatting after all, maybe you can't exFAT...then it started glitching again...

I need to mention that I set my P4 to capture photos in both JPEG & RAW formats, so for every picture I take, it writes a ~3.75MB JPEG and a 17.4MB DNG files to the the microSD, hence why I usually only buy the microSDs with the highest write speed (ie: Sandisk Extreme Pro)...

so, as I took more and more pictures, the UI's started skipping and the NO SIGNAL started setting in again, occassionally...Unlike last time where it NO SIGNAL stays on permanently everytime I put the Sandisk in, this time, after I snap a picture, it would go to NO SIGNAL, and then go back to the live feed.  HOWEVER, as I further added more and more pictures,. the NO SIGNAL duration becomes longer, and then it would freeze the feed after I snap a picture.  I noticed that if I was to continuously take the same shot, then it will go NO SIGNAL after the last shot, then freeze, and after a few seconds would go back to the live feed.  BUT, if I move the aircraft, ie rotating left or right or give any control input, it will freeze for a few seconds, and then I see the feed, and then freeze again as I fly...It's starting to annoy me because even though I can control the P4 with my transmitter and it's doing everything my transmitter is telling it to you, the live feed is skipping and freezing crazily, to where it would freeze/skip continuously as I fly my P4.  I'd have to stop, set my gimbal, wait a few seconds to see what image I have, then if I have to readjust the gimbal, it will freeze again, more wait for the image to come back, then take a picture.  It's been happening on both microSDs, but in the recent days, I've only used the factory Lexar.

Figuring that it was the microSD, I went ahead, and landed my P4 last night and took out the microSD card and took off again.  Well, live feed came back smoothly, and everything seemed normal.  I started getting NO SIGNAL at 400+ ft, but that was probably also because of the clouds....but it wasn't the same as the NO SIGNAL with the microSD in.  without the microSD, I occasionally had a freeze/blip here and there for like a millisecond, which I'm fine with compared to the previous.  

Last night, I took the P4 up to about 500ft+, by this time, my Lexar had close to 4gb used, and 12gb free (I still have not removed/deleted any photo from the Lexar since I first started using it), and I manually took photos continuously, and it triggered a "SIGNAL LOST/RETURNING HOME"...I actually did this before I did flight without the microSD I mentioned above.

Yeah, so it seems the microSD is triggering a glitch with the live feed on my screen.  I haven't had much time to do too many experiments adjusting the settings, maybe do only JPEG, instead of JPEG & RAW...or maybe RAW by itself....I've also been using my Samsung Galaxy Note 5, and I'm noticing that the transmitter doesn't like my Note 5 as much as my ipad Air 2....I just bought an ipad Mini 4 yesterday just to use with my flights, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.   Also, I should mention that with the Samsung phone, everytime I plugged the phone up to the transmitter, I'd have to manually go in and change the USB setting so it can transmit the feed from the P4.  And if I go to the USB settings and change it 3 times, it crashes and reboots my phone.  Hence, why I purchased a separate ipad for it.  Seems like it doesn't like Android, or maybe just my note 5...

(sorry, started typing this last night while I was half asleep...took it to work this morning and I've been going back and forth with it for the past 3 hours...please ignore the misspelling and/or grammatical errors... let me know if you need further clarifications)
2016-4-25
Use props
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

United States

well...since I was still in my first 30 days, I went ahead and took the bird back to Best Buy and swapped it out for another one (my third P4)....let's see how this one goes....this one shows to be for the USA market instead of the NA market, per the sticker of the serial number....
2016-4-26
Use props
meetjoeasian
lvl.2

OK...narrowed this problem down to the culprit:  Samsung Galaxy Note 5.

my 3rd P4 came with a Panasonic card.  Used my ipad Mini 4 I just bought to update firmwares.  Took it out on it's maiden flight. Smooth as can be.  Live feed is clear and smooth with the Panasonic card.  Then I decided to put my exFAT formatted Sandisk 64gb that currently probably has able 6gb of previous videos/photos.  Again, smooth and took rapid pictures.  No flickering.  No freezing.  No skipping.  No NO SIGNAL.  I thought it was because of the P4.  But, before I put it up, I thought about my viewing devices and took it back out, but this time with my Samsung Galaxy Note 5.  Got it up to 100ft, took my first photo and all hell broke loose again.  Yup, I hadn't experienced it tonight until I put in the Note 5.  

I knew iOS was smoother, hence why I bought a dedicated iPad for it.   I haven't tried other Android devices other than my Note 5.  I do use my phone very heavily, so maybe it's not an Android problem, but a Galaxy Note 5....or maybe it's just MY Note 5....

Funny, I had no problem until I put in the Note 5, and then every shot was "NO SIGNAL" and constantly getting the Remote Control Signal Lost  or Return to Home???
2016-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules