3958 19 2016-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jcarignan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5066562 ft
Canada

Hello all!
Im trying to find a company that makes a roll cage that would fit on the P3A.
I have integrated UAV's to my companies everyday activitys. Eliminating a lot of risk workers would have had to take in order to fulfill a job task.
Now i want to take my phantom underground. But i need a cage. Something that will prevent it from going ass over tea kettle in the event it hits a wall.

In this video you can see something similar that i am talking about:

He hits the back ( the ceiling in a mine) then goes down to the ground, rights itself and takes back off again.
Doesnt have to be exactly like this, but i need something a little more than just prop guards.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2016-4-12
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

Most likely going to be a custom part.
2016-4-12
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Japan

yeah, cage would be handy in your situation. however for the moment i have only seen prop guards but not a 360 degrees bumper
2016-4-12
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Some companies are doing that but so far I have not seen an add-on for the DJI line.
2016-4-12
Use props
lheft
lvl.4
United States

Couldn't you just buy two sets of prop guards and install one and flip the other on top of the installed one? Fasten the two prop guards together with tie wraps?
2016-4-12
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

I very much agree with you that this is important for some or even many situations. Its good to have the option to put a roll cage around the drone.

I have thought about needing this too. Unfortunately it seems like making it is the only option.

It will add some weight to it. It will change the flight dynamics. But its pretty much critical during indoor flight.

Maybe build it out of carbon fiber rods and create a space frame around the bird.
2016-4-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Read this on another forum:
"I work for a company based out of Las Vegas Called Drones Plus. I'm one of the developers and am actually in the process of creating a kind of "cage" that goes around the phantom itself. I just opened a Drones Plus in Miami, Florida and am building prototypes now. Prop guards are great but a lot of people don't realize they are only really useful on Side bumps and low altitude crashes. In the next couple of months we should have a working prototype that is similar to what motorcyclist use for stunt bikes. The cage will protect the most important aspects of the phantom including the props, motors, and gimbal/camera. It would be a light weight. I see more people break their gimbal rather than their props as funny as that sounds. If anyone has any questions or maybe interest in purchasing one of these, It would great to know how many people percentage wise would be interested. Feel free to call me anytime at (786) 802-2034 or just add to this post it may be something you're interested in."

Look into it, contact the developer and go from there. Good luck. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-4-12
Use props
jcarignan
lvl.2
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-4-13 01:47
"I work for a company based out of Las Vegas Called Drones Plus. I'm one ...

Thanks for the heads up!
2016-6-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Forging ahead... At the speed of light!!
Yes. Hopefully this is just what you need, to fly in close quarters. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2016-6-20
Use props
Chris_Boosey675
lvl.1

Finally.........Found a cage for a DJI Phantom 4. Looks promising - https://www.dronecage.io
2018-7-11
Use props
fans3c343695
lvl.2
Canada

Chris_Boosey675 Posted at 2018-7-11 04:43
Finally.........Found a cage for a DJI Phantom 4. Looks promising - https://www.dronecage.io

I came across that company on my LinkedIn feed.
Figured I would add it here in case anyone else was wondering about close quarters flight protection, but glad to see you already had.

As well, another drone I have is called the Elios made by Flyability based out of Switzerland.
Their drone is a lot more expensive -$23,000.00 USD.
But their position control is pretty good.

As well another company I know of - Emesent, based out of Australia, have removed the need for a cage all together, by implementing active Lidar scanning to their position control.
The Active Lidar gives 2 benefits, 1 the position control, and 2 you can use the Lidar scan for 3d modeling.
If your in mining like myself, you can send the drone down the drift and not only will the active lidar prevent a collision, but it will also map a 3d mesh for you.
2018-8-29
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

If you know someone with a 3d printer they could easily create a custom built roll cage for you.
2018-8-29
Use props
fans3c343695
lvl.2
Canada

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-8-29 04:42
If you know someone with a 3d printer they could easily create a custom built roll cage for you.

Ya, ive thought of that as well.
But I think Carbon fiber rods offer a higher elasticity, so would be more impact resistant.

But ya if wanting to do it on the cheap side, a 3D printer for sure would be worth it.

Hell, I wouldn't even worry about protection if I had a 3D printer, id just make more drones lol jk
2018-8-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

A bamboo bird cage would work just as well. Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-8-29
Use props
fans94a3eca2
New
Flight distance : 54350 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-4-12 21:47
"I work for a company based out of Las Vegas Called Drones Plus. I'm one of the developers and am actually in the process of creating a kind of "cage" that goes around the phantom itself. I just opened a Drones Plus in Miami, Florida and am building prototypes now. Prop guards are great but a lot of people don't realize they are only really useful on Side bumps and low altitude crashes. In the next couple of months we should have a working prototype that is similar to what motorcyclist use for stunt bikes. The cage will protect the most important aspects of the phantom including the props, motors, and gimbal/camera. It would be a light weight. I see more people break their gimbal rather than their props as funny as that sounds. If anyone has any questions or maybe interest in purchasing one of these, It would great to know how many people percentage wise would be interested. Feel free to call me anytime at (786) 802-2034 or just add to this post it may be something you're interested in."

Is there a website for protective cages for the DJI Phantom 4? Interested in purchasing a cage as opposed to just prop guards would love to see what's out there thanks Alan
2018-12-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fans94a3eca2 Posted at 12-25 21:53
Is there a website for protective cages for the DJI Phantom 4? Interested in purchasing a cage as opposed to just prop guards would love to see what's out there thanks Alan

Easier just to learn how to fly well.

Practice in open, clear areas away from interference or obstruction.

RedHotPoker
2018-12-26
Use props
PeteBourne
lvl.1

United Kingdom

We make a cage for the Phantom 4. Check out www.airbournedrones.com
2019-6-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

PeteBourne Posted at 6-15 20:52

That looks like a well designed device.
But at that price, it's only going to be attractive to a very small number of users.
2019-6-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Chris_Boosey675 Posted at 2018-7-11 04:43

Fly with it, and share the video...

RedHotPoker

2019-6-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

PeteBourne Posted at 6-15 20:52

Yes, although it looks well constructed, the price won’t interest many here. It’s cost prohibitive, presently.

For some, the price won’t deter them from purchasing one.

I wish you good luck, in your endeavours and hope you save many drones from disaster or destruction.

RedHotPoker
2019-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules