really....help with tablets...
1616 15 2016-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
j3rome33
lvl.1

United States

ok so i tried to use the follow me function..and....something about gps not compatible...apparently meaning the dji go app is not compatible with the gps oin the tablet? how if im using the tablet now for the p3a.

tablet im using--- nextbook ares 8"

so anyone have a tablet that forsureeee works with the follow me mode.? around the price range of my current nextbook tablet.

not to be a debbie downer. but this has be very discouraging for sure and now making me maybe regret buying the p3a. seems like from the start its been a nickle and dimming process to get evrything working...i started with the standard and for 500 i was disapointed in the distance of signal so i upgraded. now im finding this out. kind of weird...seems like there teaming up with exspensive brand names to push for high ticket sales.

2016-4-12
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Not all tablets even have a GPS fitted to them, the non-cellular iPads for example don't have a GPS at all. So if you want the follow me function to work, then it is essential that your tablet has a functioning GPS because it is how the aircraft knows where you are. The tablet may work fine with the DJI Go App, but that does not mean it can access the GPS data from the tablet.

The follow me function is a very complex one, and if the GPS data is not strong and clear, you may not get it to work at all. I know you don't want to hear this, but you probably will have to buy another tablet if you want to use this function. If you do, then select from the recommended list on the DJI site.

EDIT: I just looked up the Nextbook Ares 8, and in the specs it does not even mention that it is fitted with a GPS receiver, so it most likely does not have one.

2016-4-12
Use props
j3rome33
lvl.1

United States

forgot to mention yes the tablet has gps.
2016-4-12
Use props
j3rome33
lvl.1

United States

can you give me an accurate list of tablets that are compatible because all i find are outdated list and ones for $400 ones and phones.
2016-4-12
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

j3rome33 Posted at 2016-4-13 09:58
can you give me an accurate list of tablets that are compatible because all i find are outdated list ...

They are shown at the bottom of this page: http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-4/info#specs

DJI are not trying to make you buy a more expensive device, the simple truth is that the DJI App requires a fair amount of processing horsepower from any device connected to it, and the cheap tablets just don't cut it.

While I don't particularly like Apple, I went out and got an Air 2 for my Phantom, but I went to pawn shops and such until I got one at a good price. You might consider doing the same.

2016-4-12
Use props
j3rome33
lvl.1

United States

yeah i understand. but i disagree. its b.s. cheap my $80 tablet doesn't lag or anything and is just as fast as the recommend tablets. well there expensive ones.so having the ability and not being compatible with just the gps is a programing error, on purpose.
2016-4-12
Use props
daveyo240
lvl.1

Canada

I have the Samsung s6 and it works great with that.
2016-4-12
Use props
daveyo240
lvl.1

Canada

Believe me .your 80 dollar tablet is NOT as fast as the more expensive ones.
2016-4-12
Use props
jerryjonz
lvl.2

United States

I think you need to expand that list of compatible tablets.
I purchased the Nvidia Shield K1 after searching for the best tablet available.
It has an NVIDIA Tegra® K1 processor which features a 192-core NVIDIA Kepler™ GPU and 2.2 GHz quad-core CPU.
It is one of the fastest available.
2016-4-12
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

j3rome33 Posted at 2016-4-12 21:38
yeah i understand. but i disagree. its b.s. cheap my $80 tablet doesn't lag or anything and is just  ...

check out NVidia shield K1

new for 200.00 and works like a charm
2016-4-12
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

j3rome33 Posted at 2016-4-12 21:38
yeah i understand. but i disagree. its b.s. cheap my $80 tablet doesn't lag or anything and is just  ...

I have and have had many tablets

sorry but it is a very nice tablet for tablet use ,
the video processing needed in long run for lightbridge just is not there.

its not a plot to get you to buy stuff ,
it is just you DID buy a high tech , high level,  piece of equipment in the p3a.
2016-4-12
Use props
eddie.minter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17897 ft
United States

Just checked the Nextbook site and the spec sheet for the Ares 8 does not mention GPS at all. My guess is it does not have one.
2016-4-12
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

eddie.minter Posted at 2016-4-13 13:10
Just checked the Nextbook site and the spec sheet for the Ares 8 does not mention GPS at all. My gue ...

Exactly what I said back in Post 2. If it does not have a GPS fitted to the tablet, then it is useless for follow me mode.
2016-4-12
Use props
j3rome33
lvl.1

United States

sell it has 3 options for gps in the settigs...to turn gps on. so its just in there for fun?  and the app runs great on it. just not follow me. what about nexus 7 2nd ? its on djis list but... ya..anyone actually use it?
2016-4-13
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

j3rome33 Posted at 2016-4-13 13:16
sell it has 3 options for gps in the settigs...to turn gps on. so its just in there for fun?  and th ...

Get a nvidia shield k1 tablet for 199$it's power is great and has gps.
2016-4-13
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

United States

mrGREEK360 Posted at 2016-4-14 02:45
Get a nvidia shield k1 tablet for 199$it's power is great and has gps.

Have you compared this one to let's say an iPad mini 2? I'm wondering because I have been searching for a used iPad mini 2 on CL and they are running about $160.
2016-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules