Snap on prop guards
4902 22 2015-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

I haven't flown my Phantom yet but knew I need prop guards. I hate to have to remove them to put them in my carrying case so I ordered these off Amazon for $30. You replace all four motor screws with the supplied screws. They are quite rugged and attach firmly. I like that they are red and white, that should provide better directional help.
2015-1-14
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

prop guards.jpg
2015-1-14
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Can you keep the string on and still remove and refit them ?
If not having to keep redoing the string will get boring real quick...
2015-1-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never used the string and don't miss it at all. It seems like a way to get it caught in a tree easier.
2015-1-14
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Nice.  Those look better than some of the earlier versions I've seen.  You'll have to give us an updated evaluation after you've had a chance to break them in.
2015-1-14
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I thought the string was needed to maintain structural integrity, as Scotty would say...
2015-1-14
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

string just keeps things like limbs from 'going in between the guards', the strings are not required and dont 'do anyting' for bumps against flat surfaces (like when i bumped the side of my house).  i fly without strings no worries (of course if i hit a 'pole' the pole could go in between adn the strings would have stopped that but i only worry about 'large things' as i dont fly nearby thin objectst hat would fit in between the guards)
2015-1-14
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

also, i like this idea.  my case is large enough for them as i didnt know this was an option but might buy some of these just to try them out.  can you provide a link?
2015-1-14
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

nm, found the link here (they have red/white and white/white):

http://www.amazon.com/Summitlink ... snap+on+prop+guards

nice find bro
2015-1-14
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Sorry forgot the link, here are the red/white ones. The factory screws need a 2mm hex to remove the ones that come with the guard need a 3/32" hex.

I have not tried with the string but I have heard mixed comments about using a string.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2015-1-14
Use props
Gobokinetic
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Props guards are great if you are new to quadcopters however they can cause a great deal of buffering in a light breeze and act like a sail.

To anyone thinking about installing prop guards this is a note that will save you a great deal of money!!!

Most prop guards come supplied with hex screws

Double check the length as so many new users are screwing them in and damaging all four motors as the screws is too long and breaks all the motor windings.
2015-1-14
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Gobokinetic Posted at 2015-1-15 07:32
Props guards are great if you are new to quadcopters however they can cause a great deal of bufferin ...

One thing that is important is to save the original screws and use them if you remove the guards. Do not use the screws that come with any guard if the guard is not installed. They are always longer to accommodate the guard thickness.
2015-1-14
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-1-15 04:10
Can you keep the string on and still remove and refit them ?
If not having to keep redoing the strin ...

If I do put the string on I am going to try making a hook out of music wire to make the last connection . I should be able to unhook it and have enough slack to remove that one guard then the rest will be easy.
2015-1-15
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.2

United States

Capt.  
The prop guards have a two little string hooks on the underside of each prop guard.  They allow you to adjust the string tension.  They are shaped like a crossbow catch.  After my flights with the prop guards I loosen the tension so as to not stretch the line. Makes them easy to remove and not have to remove the line threaded thru the prop guards.  In Flight I have them so taught they "sing".

2015-1-16
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Gunny Huntarr Posted at 2015-1-17 00:30
Capt.  
The prop guards have a two little string hooks on the underside of each prop guard.  They al ...

Thanks Gunny. I have snap on guards instead of the DJI guards but they also have the two little hooks on the bottom
2015-1-16
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Yes I can remove them with the string attached by using the hooks on the bottom without having to untie the string.
2015-1-16
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

I was going to make a hook then I realized I had some fishing line snap swivels. I cut the swivel part off and just used the hook snap%20swivel.jpg
2015-1-16
Use props
terryw
New

United States

What are the little hook looking thingies on the bottom of the center support of the prop guards?

I put my prop guards before the first flight.  On my second flight I crashed my Vision + and I really think the prop guards saved me some money not by saving the props but by taking some of the crash through them.  

Thanks guys, you've been a plethora of information to this lurker.

Terry
2015-1-31
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

I have had no luck with keeping the supplied string taught/tight etc.
After 10 min flying I landed and the string was nearly stretched enough to get caught in the prop...
Think I might try that fishing leader idea.
2015-1-31
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-1-31 22:23
I have had no luck with keeping the supplied string taught/tight etc.
After 10 min flying I landed a ...

I didn't use a leader just the snap part of a fishing snap swivel. Don't forget there are two hooks on the bottom of the guards. I got mine tight with the string off the hook then moved it to the hooks after I connected the string
2015-1-31
Use props
ronnydsosa.gmai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

Been using these for a while now.. They work like a charm and a live saver when traveling with your phantom.  
2015-1-31
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

ronnydsosa.gmai Posted at 2015-2-1 00:50
Been using these for a while now.. They work like a charm and a live saver when traveling with your  ...

I bought these for two reasons. One I did not want to buy a case big enough to hold my Phantom with guards installed and second the red and white combo would help with orientation.
2015-1-31
Use props
mrbillgill1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 717100 ft
United Kingdom

Quick disconnects -

http://www.shapeways.com/product ... n?optionId=58414662

These are very expensive, but a fantastic fit. Using them with DJI stock prop guards and DJI carbon fiber props. Bird seems very responsive. I have some carbon fiber prop guards on order - just mindful of extra weight.
2016-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules