Ronin Malfunctioning After "Restore Default Settings"
2501 4 2015-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shane
lvl.1

United States

I bought my Ronin brand new from Amazon around the beginning of October and I’ve only used it a few times. I updated the firmware from whatever firmware was on there then to the latest with the Mac DJI Assistant App. It worked fine, with no real difference in performance or anything.

It ran fine the last time I took it out on a shoot the other day (both with old and new firmware) but I noticed we were getting some side to side movement, and then yesterday I decided to restore the default settings from the App and see if I could dial in the settings a little better for my current Blackmagic Camera set up to get less side to side wobble.

Some time after tapping the “Restore Defaults” button in the Ronin iPhone App, the Ronin WILL NOT follow in SmoothTrack mode, regardless of the Deadband setting or any other setting...I know its default settings are to barely move with your turns of the handle bar, which it seems to kind of do...but none of the settings changes do anything anymore from either Mac App or iOS App.

Very frustrating.

It also is exhibiting a strong tilting and turning when its turned on now…I’ve attached a video for you to see what I mean.

VIDEO:
(this happens both when connected to the computer and when not connected, in case you are worried about the USB cord being plugged in)

I believe the motors and everything PHYSICALLY WORK ok, as I’m able to pan and tilt with the remote controller, no problem. This makes me think its more of a software issue? Not sure how that could of suddenly happened though...

Another thing I’ve noticed since I got the Ronin was that even when I calibrate center, it will always kind of drift off to one side after a while of moving it around, or just letting it sit there on the stand…this is both before and after I updated the firmware.

No idea what to do, as the firmware is fully updated as far as I can tell and don’t know what could SUDDENLY be wrong with the device. It was literally working fine one moment, and then totally malfunctioning the next.

Going up to the mountains in the morning and was kind of planning half the trip around filming with this gimbal.

Any ideas are very appreciated!
2015-1-14
Use props
lvl.1

Jamaica

these are probably all things that you have considered, but ill just throw them up here and see what sticks

by just the look of it, the camera doesnt appear to be centered on the pan axis; are you balancing camera while rig is turned off (maybe this is due to what you wrote above
Another thing I’ve noticed since I got the Ronin was that even when I calibrate center, it will always kind of drift off to one side after a while of moving it around, or just letting it sit there on the stand…

i have also experienced this and am just attributing it to inertia from my grab-and-goes but frankly i think that i am experiencing this drift like you are.

-center calibration with remote and app?
-is your remote control turned on/in a mode you wouldnt want?
-have you tested the endpoints? maybe this will give it a center mark...just guessing here ( i dont know all the technical aspects that go in to every feature on this rig )
-what are your stiffness settings? maybe bring them down to about 20
-i know that lightweight cameras arent gret with auto calibration. i dont know how much your camera payload is...perhaps this is an issue...? i throw a c300 on mine, so i havent run into weight issues yet.

brett.
2015-1-14
Use props
lvl.1

Jamaica

also just saw that a user  was having pan drift. he attributed it to not being fully balanced.
who knows. obviously a fully balanced rig is the first step

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en
2015-1-14
Use props
shane.email
lvl.1

United States

12@brettmayfiel Posted at 2015-1-15 07:38
these are probably all things that you have considered, but ill just throw them up here and see what ...

Yeah, I've definitely fully balanced the rig many times and its worked fine...I can put the camera in any position and it just sits there perfectly...

- I've tried center calibration many times both with the remote app and the computer app.

- Remote control is turned on to try center calibration since thats how you move the Ronin to center on the stand, but never turned on otherwise. I've tried turning it on both BEFORE and AFTER starting up the Ronin and attempting to calibrate center.

- I've tried all kinds of stiffness settings...no effect what so ever.

- Auto tune stability makes the gimbal flip out with any camera combination, both light and heavy...Tried GH4 with Zoom/Prime, BMCC with Zoom, etc...ive usually just adjusted settings manually to get the gimbal to operate correctly since Auto Tune Stability just sets all motors to 60, regardless of what camera/lens combo is on there.

- I saw that thread...dont think I can get any more balanced..?   :-/

Been going on a week now, no reply besides the "we got your message" from DJI yet...some of the worst customer support i've ever experienced in anything, not just film equipment....and I have COMCAST as my cable provider...(shudders)
2015-1-20
Use props
DJI-Cathy
lvl.4

China

Please try the system calibration in the APP to see if it works
2015-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules