X5R SSD over Thunderbolt Reader
3327 5 2016-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cinematic_aero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 540331 ft
United States

As I promised in another thread a week or two ago, I have tested the X5R SSD with an adapter installed to turn the micro-sata connector into a regular sata connector. I then used a sata thunderbolt dock to plug the SSD into my Mac Pro.

The standard "DJI" FAT-32 partition mounts on the desktop and is accessible. And the disk is fully recognized as normal in disk utility BUT Cinelight does not see the SSD at all and won't show the clips on it of course.

It seems like the issue has nothing to do with the sata adapter chip, dock, or Mac/OS X but instead with Cinelight not recognizing SSDs that aren't mounted in the official DJI USB 3.0 reader, which I'm sure is done on purpose.

SSD

SSD
2016-4-13
Use props
fluxkompensator
lvl.1

Germany

very interesting topic..

wait a moment.. Fat32 ?
Isnt that the dinosaur format that is only capable to handle files up to 2GB ? How can one record raw to that?
Does this mean there must be another kind partition on the card in another format..?
Do you see clips on the card and can you download them?
2016-4-13
Use props
cinematic_aero
lvl.2

Yes that's correct, but the FAT32 partition is only about 512MB large in the SDD and its just for holding the cinelight software and manuals that ship with the SSD. There is another partition used for the RAW files but that doesn't mount in the finder. It shows up in terminal as an f-disk partition so it's using a non standard file system that right now appears only Cinelight can access.
2016-4-13
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Cinelight not recognizing SSDs that aren't mounted in the official DJI USB 3.0 reader is normal.  
2016-4-13
Use props
nivong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2267251 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Which is why DJI can make profit and which makes it not workable at the moment. have been there done that ;)
2016-4-14
Use props
cinematic_aero
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-4-14 03:40
Cinelight not recognizing SSDs that aren't mounted in the official DJI USB 3.0 reader is normal.

Yeah I figured it was totally normal. Just playing around to see exactly where the restrictions are. Which would seem to be related to the official DJI SSD reader as the disk doesn't show up any differently to the OS whether its plugged into the official reader or makeshift thunderbolt reader.
2016-4-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules