Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Miserable Bastards!
12Next >
4580 71 2016-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tintin
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I'm no longer able to enjoy flying around my neighbourhood due to the amount of miserable gits moaning! I wouldn't mind but I purposefully do not hover over anybodys property. It seems to be getting worse! Even Richard and Judy have started complaining! What the hell is wrong with people! Can't they just enjoy the technology. Maybe I'm biased but I would love to see drones flying everywhere! Anybody else experiencing this?

Miserable.

Miserable.
2016-4-13
Use props
joey.lopina
lvl.4
Flight distance : 498839 ft

I had the cops called on me for flying at the empty beach early in the morning by the residents that lived along the water.  Cops were cool and just had to make their presence known..   
2016-4-13
Use props
wellsi
Captain
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Where are you flying, and what has actually happened?
2016-4-13
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
Second Officer

United States

I've had the cops called on me 3 times in 3 different cities, since I tend to want to go film things I have a good walk to through woods (and sometimes people's backyards), every case it ended good, since my drone is registered with the FAA and prominently shows my registration number on the wing, and I was not in restricted areas (per the FAA's app). I've had a few inviting, curious people too that didn't seem to mind me trekking through their yard with my giant case trying to get to the river behind their house.
2016-4-13
Use props
ARM-001
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

Not quite sure I follow your issue here friend. Were you the one flying around the Madley's home or are you just outraged that they've expressed annoyance about an alleged invasion of their privacy?

Do you really believe that you have he unrestricted right to do as you wish with no regard for anyone else's privacy / peace / desire to be left alone?

Your comments genuinely confuse me. How would anyone "just enjoy the technology" of someone alse with a drone flying over them? Why would you be annoyed at the Madley's complaint at what you profess you don't do (I.e fly over other's property).
2016-4-13
Use props
Tintin
lvl.3

United Kingdom

ARM-001 Posted at 2016-4-13 22:19
Not quite sure I follow your issue here friend. Were you the one flying around the Madley's home or  ...

I'm simply flying around the neighbourhood at a high altitude not bothering anybody... how on earth can that bother anybody? As regards to people's privacy, don't they realise that neighbours can look out of the window and see them in their gardens, shock horror. The Madleys are just a pair of rich moaning gits who should implement geofencing if their that bothered, after all they can easily afford it, but they are probably to tight. Criminals aren't particularly happy about drones and given Madleys past it makes sense that he doesn't like them!
2016-4-13
Use props
Tintin
lvl.3

United Kingdom

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-13 21:43
Where are you flying, and what has actually happened?

Hi, I have a P3A. It's just a regular housing estate but I've had quite a few people ask me not to fly over their house. I've been doing it (at high altitude) for months. Nobody has been threatening or anything like that but just moaning. I don't fly it anymore.
2016-4-13
Use props
dieselwind
lvl.1

United States

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-4-13 15:43
I've had the cops called on me 3 times in 3 different cities, since I tend to want to go film things ...

It's just a matter of trying to find that happy medium of not pissing people off.  In America, if your feet are on public property, you have the right to film anything you want.  Your drone is legal in any uncontrolled (class G) airspace.  Private property does not equal private airspace.  It sucks for the people who don't like drones above or around their property.  You would think that a drone hovering in someones back yard would be illegal but it's not.  I would hope that those of us operating these things would just have at least the common courtesy to respect privacy.  I don't ever fly in areas where I might even have to get close to discussing 1st amendment rights and/or FAA national airspace regulations.  Just not worth it.  I had one police officer stop on my street and get out of his car, all he wanted to do was check it out.
2016-4-13
Use props
Tintin
lvl.3

United Kingdom

dieselwind Posted at 2016-4-14 00:16
It's just a matter of trying to find that happy medium of not pissing people off.  In America, if  ...

In the UK it is illegal to fly within 50 meters of people, veichles, buildings, or structures. So although it's not illegal to film in public it actually is if it's with a drone. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A6uU1LTdI8M

2016-4-13
Use props
dieselwind
lvl.1

United States

Tintin Posted at 2016-4-13 18:21
In the UK it is illegal to fly within 50 meters of people, veichles, buildings, or structures. So a ...

Cool info.  I did not know that.  Even here though, just because you can doesn't mean you should.  It's when we push the limits is when the lawmakers start changing the laws
2016-4-13
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

Tintin Posted at 2016-4-13 19:21
In the UK it is illegal to fly within 50 meters of people, veichles, buildings, or structures. So a ...

So it's all good if you're flying at 75 meters up then.

I had one neighbor that complained about my P3P. Turns out that the 8 foot high privacy fence he has was hiding multiple zoning violations. We came to an understanding, he leaves me alone, and I don't file a complaint. I do take photo's of the area every couple of weeks though.

All bets are off the first time the Sheriff gets called though as I can easily see over the fence from my property.
2016-4-13
Use props
ARM-001
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tintin Posted at 2016-4-14 00:09
I'm simply flying around the neighbourhood at a high altitude not bothering anybody... how on eart ...

Ok people, we have officially left logic and coherence in our rear view mirrors.........
2016-4-13
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.4

United States

A lot of those issues flying around neighborhoods probably comes down to privacy concerns. Maybe you should make them a copy of your video flying at high altitudes so that they can personally see that your's not flying low enough to spy on anyone? Think of it as educating people. Just a thought.
2016-4-13
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-13
Use props
UploadAvatar
lvl.1

United States

pgrover516 Posted at 2016-4-14 12:12
most people I've shown have liked it but a few say "creepy", like it or not many people equate drone ...

Look on the bright side... who cares what other people think. :-D
2016-4-13
Use props
Oleksiy
lvl.4
Switzerland

For my training flights I am getting up before dawn and go to the nearby stadium. From 6 till about 7:30 there are no people there at all. No problems so far.

I also take with me a plastic bag and disposable plastic gloves and make the grass field cleaner than it was before I came.
2016-4-13
Use props
wellsi
Captain
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tintin Posted at 2016-4-14 00:21

There you have it.  It's also illegal to fly over any residential area under CAA rules.  So you're breaking the law. Pissing people off. And wondering why they're moaning?    
2016-4-13
Use props
aaron.ferguson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1641752 ft
United Kingdom

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-14 07:30
There you have it.  It's also illegal to fly over any residential area under CAA rules.  So you're ...

Yes. Some people misinterpret  "fly within 50m" to mean altitude. It means (horizontal) DISTANCE and the altitude is irrelevant.
2016-4-14
Use props
birdingbilly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 843369 ft
United Kingdom

Drone rules in the UK need a serious overhaul as they are just not fit for purpose and the distiction between drones with and without a camera are frankly ridiculous.  Phrases like "Congested Area" don't help as it is so open to interpretation as to what that means and I am not sure if the 50m rule actually applies to altitude or not.
The first rule of Aticle 166 states "A person must not cause or permit any article or animal (whether or not attached to a parachute) to be dropped from a small unmanned aircraft so as to endanger persons or property."  I mean seriously how random is a rule about dropping animals by parachute !
The third rule states "Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person." how often have you been getting ready to take off or land when people come up to you out of interest - what are you supposed to do tell them to p**s off 30m away !
The problem is that if you have rules that are not fit for purpose people will just ignore them, and that is clearly happening, despite the fact that some of the rules are very sensible.  What we need are good pragmatic rules that concetrtate on what is important.
2016-4-14
Use props
Flying Poptart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734577 ft
United States

2  of my neighbors have installed blinds on their front windows lately..lol.

2016-4-14
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.4

Australia

Drones are controversial to some.Knowing this.., I don't poo where I eat.
I even keep my bird covered when transporting it from house to car.., so my neighbours don't see it.

It prevents other idiots/drones being linked back to me.
2016-4-14
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-14
Use props
jrm11
lvl.4
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

"Do you really believe that you have he unrestricted right to do as you wish with no regard for anyone else's privacy / peace / desire to be left alone?"

Exactly. There are two parties involved and both have rights. You have the right to fly and they have the right not to be annoyed. The rights of one do no superseded the rights of the other.

"The Madleys are just a pair of rich moaning its who should implement geofencing if their that bothered, after all they can easily afford it, but they are probably to tight. "

So this isn't really about flying. It is some class warfare BS. Why should someone's perceived income level have anything to do with it? Apparently, your concern for others' right to be left alone is directly related to what you perceive their net worth to be. This "if they seem to be doing better than me, they must be evil" envy trip is all too common today.

"It's just a matter of trying to find that happy medium of not pissing people off.  In America, if your feet are on public property, you have the right to film anything you want.  Your drone is legal in any uncontrolled (class G) airspace.  Private property does not equal private airspace.  It sucks for the people who don't like drones above or around their property.  You would think that a drone hovering in someones back yard would be illegal but it's not.  I would hope that those of us operating these things would just have at least the common courtesy to respect privacy.

I agree totally on finding that happy medium and the use of common courtesy. Many problems could be solved with a small dose of that philosophy instead of the narcissist, solipsistic approach.

Where I disagree is on your legal claims. (n the US) There is a certain amount of airspace that is considered private property. How much is up for debate and isn't firmly settled in court. Potential privacy issues have yet to be addressed in court. With people randomly flying through other's backyards, it is only a matter of time before some court cases decide these issues.

Try launching from outside a military base and taking video over the fence. You don't even need to fly across the fence... do it all from "public" property.
Try flying _near_ a bridge in NYC to take a video - it's not FAA restricted airspace, but the NYPD will own a new drone while you try to find a defense laywer.
The point is that airspace issues are far from cut and dried at the moment.

Leaving aside any "airspace" discussion, there are also existing laws which address these issues. Hovering in someone's backyard, to use your example, _could_ be considered trespass, endangerment, a privacy violation, a noise ordinance violation or even assault in the right circumstances. It is all situation specific and there is no one size fits all answer.

Again, common sense and a respect for others is always the best course of action. Even when you can hide behind a regulation (or lack thereof).
2016-4-14
Use props
evsjas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1995479 ft
United States

My brothers neighbors have shot at his ( in a subdivision) he called the police. When the police arrived and he told them what happened (even showed flight log) they said that the drone was not hit or damaged so they could not do anything. He even asked about where they shot into the air and the response was no way to prove where they shot.
2016-4-14
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.4

United States

I flew my P3P at 286 Ft or so the first time and at that elevation you can't hear to much. I flew it all over the neighborhood and had a blast. That being said, about a week later, while sitting in my garage,  I heard a humming sound that I recognized. I walked outside and to my surprise, there was a P3 hovering about 50 feet high and appeared to be scoping us out. I got a kick out of seeing a P3 but I have to admit, it felt kind of weird. I would never fly that low but I can definitely understand why some people could feel violated. If I ever get a complaint, I will try my best to discuss the issue and maybe come to an understanding or agreement of sorts, if that doesn't work then I would just have to drive down to the local park because at the end of the day, there is only so many times that you can fly in your neighborhood before you get a little bored. Some people are just annoyed by the world and everything in it, and others are very sincere when the say that they feel violated.
2016-4-14
Use props
microcyb
First Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Well the first thing I did when I got a drone was to educate the neighborhood and also provide them information of where I plan to fly when they see me outside flying around.
So depends on how much friction between you and your neighbors, but maybe have a a cup of tea with each of them and try to help reassure them you have no ill intentions and will not post any videos or images of their homes, etc.

Sadly, ignorance and the media/commercials provide too much fear about drones and education might help you.

Good luck!
2016-4-14
Use props
teedo757
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

I take mine across the street to a field now. No one has complained in my neighborhood and I will still fly it directly above my house for sunset shots. The only time I am low altitude is when I am racing the kids on their bikes.
2016-4-14
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Problem I see is what happens when something goes wrong, your drone will drop like a stone over a built up area, and land on what ? That you have no control over, and that is why they have the 50m radial distance rule in the UK.
2016-4-14
Use props
aaron.ferguson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1641752 ft
United Kingdom

birdingbilly Posted at 2016-4-14 11:36
Drone rules in the UK need a serious overhaul as they are just not fit for purpose and the distictio ...

The CAA highlight the basics at: http://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/M ... ones/Flying-drones/

If you follow that you'll basically be in compliance.
2016-4-14
Use props
birdingbilly
lvl.4
United Kingdom

aaron.ferguson@ Posted at 2016-4-14 17:48
The CAA highlight the basics at: http://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Model-aircraft-and-drones/Flying-d ...

Agreed, but some of it's nonsense.

"Drones fitted with cameras must not be flown: within 50 metres of people, vehicles, buildings or structures over congested areas or large gatherings such as concerts and sports events"

So by implication if you take the memory card out of your camera (therefore not capable of collecting images) you can fly with 50m etc etc

I understand the point about people and privacy but from a safety aspect they just don't make sense.
2016-4-14
Use props
nigelw
First Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Tintin Posted at 2016-4-14 00:21
So although it's not illegal to film in public it actually is if it's with a drone ...

No it's not.  Where did you get that information?

Although it is illegal to fly over your neighborhood though, as it's a congested area.
2016-4-14
Use props
nigelw
First Officer
United Kingdom

aaron.ferguson@ Posted at 2016-4-14 09:18
Yes. Some people misinterpret  "fly within 50m" to mean altitude. It means (horizontal) DISTANCE a ...

That's just your interpretation, unless you can point me to a specific definition that says otherwise.  I've looked into it myself in depth & had the conversations here.

As I said, if you could point me in the direction of a clear definition, I'd be very grateful.
2016-4-14
Use props
nigelw
First Officer
United Kingdom

birdingbilly Posted at 2016-4-14 11:36
Drone rules in the UK need a serious overhaul as they are just not fit for purpose and the distictio ...

Congested Area: This is defined in relation to a city, town or settlement: any area which is substantially used for residential, commercial, industrial or recreational purposes
2016-4-14
Use props
nigelw
First Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-4-14 17:46
Problem I see is what happens when something goes wrong, your drone will drop like a stone over a bu ...

That rule only refers to drones with a camera, which would seem to imply it's to do with privacy (CAP658, Article 167).  Nowhere does it say it's a radial distance.  You're not allowed to fly directly over people though.
2016-4-14
Use props
clala
lvl.1

Canada

Only issues I've had is curious people asking if they can fly it!
2016-4-14
Use props
ARM-001
lvl.4
United Kingdom

nigelw Posted at 2016-4-14 18:26
That's just your interpretation, unless you can point me to a specific definition that says otherw ...

Yup, agreed this part is really ambiguous and nowhere does it state that the distance between the drone and the person, vehicle, etc (50m) is measured using the effective "ground position" of the drone in order to measure laterally.

It's so ambiguous in fact that I wrote to the CAA a couple of weeks ago asking them to formally clarify the interpretation of 50m separation distance. There are two interpretations: one that the 50m creates a "cylinder" around the person, vehicle, etc extending a 50m radius but extending upwards infinitely.

The second version is that it is the actual distance between the drone and the person, vehicle, etc. thus creating a "dome" effect around them where the 50m arcs upwards. This second version would also have a "no-fly" column directly above the person, vehicle, etc. with dimensions exactly matching those of the object which extends upwards infinitely. This would maintain the "not flown directly overhead" rule. Imagine a toilet plunger upside down over the person, vehicle etc and you might get a picture of what I mean!

I favorthe second interpretation because it's the logical one. If you go outside and think about the distance between you and an airliner flying overhead, you measure it as an actual distance between your eyes and the plane. You dont estimate where it's effective "ground position" is and measure laterally. Also, the wording of the rule includes "and never directly overhead at any height". If the first interpretation were true, then this part is redundant as you'd never be able to get closer than 50m laterally.
Edit: I'll post the CAA's response when it comes through.
2016-4-14
Use props
birdingbilly
lvl.4
United Kingdom

All over the BBC London TV news this evening is the idiot on Phantompilots that has been posting video and photos above central London including from the River Thames Heli lane.  Looks like he will be getting a call from the Met Police.  This of course is exactly the kind of moronic behaivour that drives public perception and ultimately risks ruining our hobby - not to mention how dangerous it is !
2016-4-14
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 261033 ft
United States

birdingbilly Posted at 2016-4-14 12:16
Agreed, but some of it's nonsense.

"Drones fitted with cameras must not be flown: within 50 metre ...

Taking out the memory card doesn't mean there's no camera. The drone still has a camera with downlink.
2016-4-14
Use props
ARM-001
lvl.4
United Kingdom

birdingbilly Posted at 2016-4-14 18:58
All over the BBC London TV news this evening is the idiot on Phantompilots that has been posting vid ...

Yeah, this guy was widely condemned by other drone flyers (both hobby and commercial) in the comments section of the video (until it was removed), any many, including myself, took to Twitter and Facebook to appeal to the Met and CAA to take action.

He's an American student living in the UK. The CAA's legal team are currently reviewing it and the police are now involved.
2016-4-14
Use props
dexa
Austria

i experienced questions like "do you carry a bomb?", "can you shot with this?" "are you spying something?" People are not familiar with drones, but they are familiar with the stories from the news "terrorists can use is it"
i try to avoid spots where people can pass by
2016-4-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules