Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4, strange noise (clicking)
6831 25 2016-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aslavkin
New

Luxembourg

Hello everyone, i just got my ph4 and it appered to make a bit strange noise when you switch it on, is that ok? The fans start to work after 3rd second aproximately, is that ok too? Thanks for your comments in advance.

2016-4-14
Use props
madaerial
lvl.3
Flight distance : 512251 ft
United States

Mine does not do that. Sounds bad. There is a fan that turns on when you power up. It sounds like your fan is hitting something. I would imagine this will lead to something on the board overheating. I would return it.
2016-4-14
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

could be something hitting a fan,   but kinda sounds like the vps down facing sonar.    if you cover the 2 screens with your finders on the vps module does is the sound dampened?    of you old the drone while power on and making the sound do you feel any vibrations?  or feel the clicking?
2016-4-14
Use props
davidson_g
Captain
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

Don't worry about that clicking sound - it's the altitude sonar's sound pulses used to measure the craft's altitude when operating within the range of the VPS. Camera mics seem to pick up the sound better than my ears do!

As for the fan, it only seems to come on when the electronics reach a temperature that fan assisted cooling is needed. The warmer the ambient temperature the sooner it comes on, or at least that's what mine seems to be doing...
2016-4-14
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

davidson_g Posted at 2016-4-14 16:16
Don't worry about that clicking sound - it's the altitude sonar's sound pulses used to measure the c ...

i can hear my p4 vps but its no where near that loud.   suposta be barely audible.   thats insanely loud.   but it could be the video picking up and playing back louder.

how loud over all would you say it is with your own ears?  yours sounds like clicking of a pen,   mines like 10 times quieter then a pen.  mine more like a muffled mouse fart
2016-4-14
Use props
aslavkin
New

Luxembourg

the sound comes from here... and seems like fan is working all the time, right after switch on, and it's not hot in here.... crap

2016-4-14
Use props
aslavkin
New

Luxembourg

quickpoint Posted at 2016-4-14 22:21
i can hear my p4 vps but its no where near that loud.   suposta be barely audible.   thats insanel ...

well.... in the video it's too loud. But i still can hear it pretty good, like pc mouse clicking, annoying and gives me a feeling that something wrong with it btw, sound comes only from one hole, the upper one is ok.

thank you guys for our fast answers!

2016-4-14
Use props
davidson_g
Captain
United Kingdom

aslavkin@yandex Posted at 2016-4-14 21:26
the sound comes from here... and seems like fan is working all the time, right after switch on, and  ...

I was operating at an ambient temperature of around 10 degrees - which is not hot and my fan runs for a few seconds at switch on and then stops. About  4 mins later sitting idle the fan comes on. I suppose it depends on what your ambient temperature is as to how soon the fan comes on.
2016-4-14
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

aslavkin@yandex Posted at 2016-4-14 21:31
well.... in the video it's too loud. But i still can hear it pretty good, like pc mouse clicking, a ...

That will be the transmitter that the sound is coming from, the other is the receiver. The fan comes on at start up, I've not checked the timing on mine, but as suggested will be temperature controlled. As to the audio, the recorder will likely have automatic gain control on the sound, which has the effect of making quieter sounds a lot louder than they really are.
2016-4-14
Use props
davidson_g
Captain
United Kingdom

aslavkin@yandex Posted at 2016-4-14 21:31
well.... in the video it's too loud. But i still can hear it pretty good, like pc mouse clicking, a ...

Bear in mind that the sound pulses are ultrasonic (very high frequency) - those with better hearing are likely to hear the clicks louder.
2016-4-14
Use props
aslavkin
New

Luxembourg

On this video you can see that if i just move my finger to the bottom of p4, the new sound appears from inside.....

2016-4-14
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

aslavkin@yandex Posted at 2016-4-14 16:31

upper hole?  both the sensors are on the bottom.     when you cover them while powered up is it quiter?   
lmao   just saw video posted,   its normal depending on how loud overall,   not sure exactly how loud yours is.      besides mouse clicking  
2016-4-14
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

aslavkin@yandex Posted at 2016-4-14 16:49
On this video you can see that if i just move my finger to the bottom of p4, the new sound appears f ...

new sound looks like dampening of the ultra sonic  pulses,    there is another one as well  try covering both.     also sense your indoors connect everything up and pick your drone up.   hight should change on the app showing you the vps is working properly or not
2016-4-14
Use props
aslavkin
New

Luxembourg

the altitude is shown properly,........ still fan works 100%, even if i switch it on from the cold start, even outside, its like +10 degrees out. the new sound has nothing to do with those sensors, i cover different place with finger and on the video you barely can hear it coz of that vps clicks
2016-4-14
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

aslavkin@yandex Posted at 2016-4-14 17:02
the altitude is shown properly,........ still fan works 100%, even if i switch it on from the cold s ...

just watched the video again and saw your thumb not covering BOTH.   try covering both of them,   there is a metal screen over them so you aren't going to damage them
p4_vps.jpg
2016-4-14
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.3

United States

That isn't normal man get that exchange ASAP.
2016-4-14
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

My P4 fan comes on in about the same amount of time. The transducer emits a high pitch at 4-5 feet above the ground.
2016-4-15
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

There is some noise from the gimbal. Please contact our service center in Euro as below:
Email: support.eu@dji.com
Phone:+49(0)97479304200
Monday to Friday, 9:00AM-5:00PM (German Time GMT+1:00)
Online Support:Monday to Friday, 11:00AM-6:00PM (Netherlands Time UTC/GMT +1)
2016-4-15
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-15 06:53
There is some noise from the gimbal. Please contact our service center in Euro as below:
Email:
Ph ...

Paladin,  the "phantom" gimbal noise complaint was a different video.
2016-4-15
Use props
madaerial
lvl.3
Flight distance : 512251 ft
United States

davidson_g Posted at 2016-4-14 15:36
I was operating at an ambient temperature of around 10 degrees - which is not hot and my fan runs  ...

My fan runs ALL the time.
2016-4-15
Use props
TK-421
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-15
Use props
fgavazzeni
lvl.1

Italy

TK-421 is right, that sound is normal is the VPS. mine have the same sound, already made 15 or more flight..
also recorded my top distance at 3601 meters far from me in country side... with stock antennas... amazing !!
2016-4-15
Use props
ISA AYDIN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 504692 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey stop,confusing people.. Its a normal sound. Everybody has it! It sounds loud because of recording mic, its not that loud in real life.
2016-4-15
Use props
davidson_g
Captain
United Kingdom

madaerial Posted at 2016-4-15 15:20
My fan runs ALL the time.

Strange that there are differences in the fan behaviour.  I've only had my P4 a week and have installed the latest firmware. Temperatures round here are hovering around 10 deg C where I keep the P4 and the fan runs a few seconds at switch on and remains off for about 4 mins at idle. Maybe there are manufacturing variations that affect the fan switch on temperature.

I must confess I was surprised not to experience altitude drop on deceleration/stop and gimbal level issues widely reported here but I have only done two flights in around 10deg C temps.  Time will tell!

2016-4-15
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

TK-421 Posted at 2016-4-15 10:23
This is the VPS system working as normal, does not require attention. The mic on your phone will be  ...

exactly,  i just got home and recorded my drone and its very loud on my recording.   it is audible but barely when the drone is not flying.      but when i recorded a video it was very VERY loud
2016-4-15
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Captain
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

quickpoint Posted at 2016-4-15 14:23
exactly,  i just got home and recorded my drone and its very loud on my recording.   it is audible ...

I have the exact same issue!
2016-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules