o(^-^)o
ryanlam115
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341355 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This is from today :

This is my update after my fly away from Yesterday:

Please subscribe! I hope DJI will respond and take action .

2016-4-15
Use props
GM01
lvl.2

Belgium

Cool story with a happy ending !
2016-4-15
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

Glad you get it back! For next time, put your Name and contact number on the bottom of the landing skids using a Sharpie:
DSCN7192.JPG
2016-4-15
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791184 ft

"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it doesn’t, then it was never meant to be."

It was meant to be!
2016-4-15
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

What a great Police department to go to such efforts. Wonderful !
2016-4-15
Use props
Murilo Carmello
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1562549 ft
Israel

What crazy story!!!!
As FAS1, I putted too my name and telephone in my P3P
2016-4-15
Use props
TJ10
lvl.2

Canada

O Canada! Feel a bit better now if I ever lose my drone, don't live too far away from you
2016-4-15
Use props
madaerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 512251 ft
United States

you gotta love a happy ending!
2016-4-15
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

glad you got it back!  now gotta figure out why it changed the home point durring the flight and went there.

to recover my drone incase this happens I wrote open on my battery and inside REWARD,  my cellphone number, my email and my faa registration information   if mine ever does missing i would really like it returned.    i also have a note pad file in the root directory on my memory card with all my info.   have a few of them named 1 READ ME, 2 REWARD IF FOUND, 3 CONTACT INFO INSIDE   then a pic of me and drone called ME   and i am holding my drone and piece of paper with my cellphone number email and reward written big and bold

drone info!.jpg
2016-4-15
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

I have a sticker on top of my P3P that simply says - IF FOUND - Please call [and my phone number].  It may or may not help "in the event of", but it can't hurt.  Remember, the person "finding" it, has to be the kind of person that will actually call for it to do any good.

Glad the OP got it back.  Speaks very well to the person finding it - and certainly the PD.
2016-4-15
Use props
joey.lopina
lvl.3
Flight distance : 498839 ft

Put a GPS tracker on the drone
2016-4-15
Use props
joey.lopina
lvl.3
Flight distance : 498839 ft

joey.lopina Posted at 2016-4-16 05:10
Put a GPS tracker on the drone

Watch "RF V16 GPS Tracker Review" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/O5V152zrOBc
2016-4-15
Use props
SajidShah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 627539 ft
Portugal

Congrats Mate !
2016-4-15
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Those Toronto police are good guys, ehh? Aboot your drone changing home point, I don't think that's possible, ehh? Take off buddy.
2016-4-15
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You have to contact DJI.
They don't read everything here.
Go here:  http://www.dji.com/support/product/phantom-3-standard
2016-4-15
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Only in Canada eh.  What I would advise you to do is in a plain text file type in your name, and email contact info saved on the SD card.  This would make it much easier for someone to contact you.  I also have that info on a sticker on my Phantom.
2016-4-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I have to ask, what does 'POTENTIAL HARM AND DANGER' in the title have to do with this case? And why are you yelling at us?
2016-4-15
Use props
Rob_stal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1243038 ft
Australia

Why didn't you change to ATTI mode in order to fly it back?
2016-4-15
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

thanks! I dont think i feel safe to fly until I hear from DJI
2016-4-15
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-4-15 17:24
Those Toronto police are good guys, ehh? Aboot your drone changing home point, I don't think that's  ...

You can see in the flight record that the home point jumped a block away from the initial take off point.
2016-4-15
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-15 19:49
I have to ask, what does 'POTENTIAL HARM AND DANGER' in the title have to do with this case? And why ...

sorry, i mean to say that it could have caused harm and could have been very dangerous.
2016-4-15
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Rob_stal Posted at 2016-4-15 21:50
Why didn't you change to ATTI mode in order to fly it back?

It did not respond to the controls. That is all I am going to say . But that is a good idea to keep in mind.
2016-4-15
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

Those Toronto police are good guys, ehh? Aboot your drone changing home point, I don't think that's  ...

I don't think I've ever heard any Canadians say "aboot" except in sterotyped Canadians in Hollywood movies, eh?
2016-4-15
Use props
Rob_stal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1243038 ft
Australia

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-4-16 12:05
It did not respond to the controls. That is all I am going to say . But that is a good idea to kee ...

You may have misinterpreted my post, I wasn't trying to be smart. Panic causes a lot of people not to respond appropriately, practicing and testing the functions of the various modes gives a better understanding of how they work.

The bird was responding correctly, as it was accepting your inputs to Yaw during the return to home (which was as you said a block away), it won't respond to pitch and roll inputs during return to home.
The video confirms the response to the Yaw inputs which leads me to believe that it would definitely have responded to an ATTI mode input and cancelled the return to home which would have returned full control back to you.
Try it out next time you're out flying you will notice that you have control over Yaw in RTH mode, practicing flying in ATTI mode is one of the most important skills any DJI pilot could have.

Once again, not bashing just trying to help out.

Cheers
Rob
2016-4-15
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

Regarding the OP... Well, you shouldn't be flying in or near a residential neighborhood anyway.
2016-4-15
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

BTW, your exact park location where you were flying is within a 9km radius of an airport. So you were clearly breaking the Transport Canada guidelines & rules about drone use too. You're lucky the cops didn't dig deeper into whether you were breaking rules.
2016-4-15
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

quaddron3 Posted at 2016-4-15 22:40
BTW, your exact park location where you were flying is within a 9km radius of an airport. So you wer ...

Wrong! I am 29 KM away from pearson airport.
I am 10.2 km away from Bunttonvill airport. So, I am away from airport beyond the 9 KM radius
2016-4-15
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Rob_stal Posted at 2016-4-15 22:31
You may have misinterpreted my post, I wasn't trying to be smart. Panic causes a lot of people not  ...

if you notice, RTH was cancelled after it started to drift.
So it was not returning to home  but still drifting towards the new, randomly selected home point that popped up.  
You're right, I will keep in mind atti mode in the future if I ever need to gain control and hopefully it will respond like you say it should..
2016-4-15
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-4-15 22:49
Wrong! I am 29 KM away from pearson airport.
I am 10.2 km away from Bunttonvill airport. So, I am ...

WTF?

You're wrong.

You were roughly 7.7km radius away from Buttonville.

BTW, its not based off driving distance. Just so we're on the same page here.

Plus, pretty much the whole of the GTA is populated space. So again, it is against Transport Canada guidelines to fly in populated spaces nevermind the fact you were flying within 9km radius of an aerodome.
2016-4-15
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-4-15 22:53
if you notice, RTH was cancelled after it started to drift.
So it was not returning to home  but  ...

When I fly, I expect this thing to go nuts. It is $1K. I don't wanna lose $1K. So I try my best to be prepared for the worse. I always have one finger on the mode switch to take it manual if it doesn't act right.
2016-4-15
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

I'm guessing you're one of those who have SFOC ?
Please provide me with links to how you came to the conclusion of 7.7 km to buttonville.
I just fly recreational.

TC addresses those who have been reported sometimes. And depending on the severity.  If it was a danger to air traffic.
Where do you fly?

That's a great reminder to keep ready on the atti mode switch.
2016-4-15
Use props
vinojaya6
lvl.2

Indonesia

Dji std actually more difficult, because the signal easy to lost when far away and out of control. so that make you can't control your drone.
2016-4-15
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

on the P4 you can change your home point at any time, even in mid-flight. check the settings.
2016-4-16
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-4-15 23:21
I'm guessing you're one of those who have SFOC ?
Please provide me with links to how you came to  ...

I think the question is how you came to the conclusion it was more than 10km away.

This is pretty clear cut and dry. There are no tricks here. You were 7.7km away and that is being generous measuring to the center of the aerodome, not the perimeter.

You can use a variety of methods. You can try Google maps. If you have GIS software you can use that. You were roughly 7.7km away. Fact.

Join MAAC and fly in MAAC approved fields and events and you're likely to be all above board, complete with insurance coverage for members.
2016-4-16
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

Hey! You're talkin' like a hoser eh!  Lol
2016-4-16
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

quaddron3 Posted at 2016-4-16 07:48
I think the question is how you came to the conclusion it was more than 10km away.

This is pretty ...

Based on google maps. But transport canada has a lot of vague terms that are not so clear cut. Like, the definition you gave for calculating the distance where the primeter of the aerodome ends, TC doesnt state that.

I have already had two police come to my home because of my drone but neither of them were concerned. Neither gave me any warnings. And the first police that came was straight from the Pearson Airport itself, just wanted me to know that i knew there were regulations and not fly in a way that poses risk to air traffic. And that it is technically possible if TC decides to pursue me, they can under federal offenses.

Not everyone can afford to join clubs. If TC was really concerned , they should reinforce more strictly, but although they do give out consequences, they have been little or almost unheard of.  For now, a lot of the regulations are still in the gray.

Think, electrical bikes on roads, where people do not have licences to drive, and no insurance. What is transport canada doing for those?

But yes, i will keep in mind the tips you shared. Thanks!
2016-4-16
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Center/perimeter etc*
2016-4-16
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

quaddron3 Posted at 2016-4-16 07:48

This is pretty ...

Now, my question to you, is, why did the home point jump?
Yes, i need to keep in mind atti mode and that should give me full control should this happen again.  But you do see that the home point jumped a block away right?
2016-4-16
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-4-16 10:33
Based on google maps. But transport canada has a lot of vague terms that are not so clear cut. Lik ...

Its defined as measuring from the center.

I don't care what you do. You seem like you don't give a shyt anyway and say whatever you want or make stuff up as you go.

I frankly don't care what you do, other than the fact your actions will probably lead to tighter regulations sooner for other drone operators.

MAAC is $100 per year and provides insurance and field access. Well worth it. To each their own. Spend money on a drone. Don't care about rules. Clubs with insurance are too expensive. Transport Canada rules are vague and annoying so you don't bother with them. OK. Whatever.

Next time find out the rules before you buy something. It is very true. You spent money on a toy you're heavy governed over and not allowed to use willy nilly wherever and whenever you want. Disappointed? Should have found out before. Same rule you can't just buy a car and start running red lights even though you may want to save time. Rules are rules. Should have read about them first. The only places where you can fly are pretty much rural areas. The whole of the GTA I would argue is off limits unless you have permission from property owners and Transport Canada. So its either rural areas or none at all. But you don't seem to care anyway and will likely continue flying in the GTA and within 9km of aerodomes. Again, whatever.
2016-4-16
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Alastair Posted at 2016-4-16 10:31
Hey! You're talkin' like a hoser eh!  Lol

I'm not your buddy guy? I'm not your guy buddy? I'm not your buddy friend? I'm not your friend buddy. Now take off hoser!!
2016-4-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules