Stock Lens Coating Flaw
1240 8 2016-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
madaerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 512251 ft
United States

I have been extremely happy with my Phantom 4 and the video it has been producing. I recently acquired a ND filter and started shooting in dlog. The difference in my footage has been amazing. I did seem to get a lot of ..... sunspots? ... with the stock lens, but I assumed it was something with the way I was shooting. When I removed the stock lens - which I admit I had not previously inspected closely, I noticed there were "spots" on it. I tried to clean them with a microfiber and had no luck. I then used some lens cleaning solution and had no luck. It is there for good. It is really hard to capture, but I think I got a shot where you can see it:

I guess I'm wondering if people think I'm being nitpicky by thinking that is a flaw. I mean, I guess I am not sure if it is effecting image quality, but it's hard to imagine it wouldn't be. I'm thinking I would like it replaced. Is this covered under the manufacturer warranty?
lens.jpg
2016-4-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It should be replaced under warranty, and yes you should replace it. No point in living with a flaw like that. Contact the place you bought the aircraft from. BTW, it is not a lens but a UV filter.
2016-4-16
Use props
madaerial
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-16 21:42
It should be replaced under warranty, and yes you should replace it. No point in living with a flaw  ...

Thanks for correcting the terminology. I bought it from Apple. I'm reluctant to return the entire craft over it, as I feel - at least from reading the nightmare stories on the forums - that I have been relatively fortunate with the craft as a whole (no gimble issues, no horizon issues). But I will try them first maybe. Probably easier than dealing with DJI support, from what I've read. But thanks for agreeing. I'd feel terrible selling it someone used in this condition, so I shouldn't have to put up with it new.
2016-4-16
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

That's not how it's suppose to be... Please get in touch with our colleagues in US repair center and let them send you a replacement for the UV filter  

UNITED STATES
+1 (818) 235 0789
Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM (PST)

Thank you!
2016-4-16
Use props
madaerial
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-4-16 21:49
That's not how it's suppose to be... Please get in touch with our colleagues in US repair center and ...

Thanks for the quick response! I will give them a call monday morning!
2016-4-16
Use props
madaerial
lvl.2
United States

Well, I don't know what to say. Waited over 20 minutes on hold to speak to someone who said he would email me in a couple minutes, so I could send him a picture. He said it would take a couple of minutes. It's now been about an hour. No email. I finally sent a message to the online support.
2016-4-18
Use props
madaerial
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-4-16 21:49
That's not how it's suppose to be... Please get in touch with our colleagues in US repair center and ...

Hey, (DJI) Tim, I wonder if you could help me out with this. After your response on this thread, on April 18 I called support. They told me they would send me an email, and I could reply to that email with the photos and link to the forum. I never received and email. After a number of hours, I created an online support ticket. That ticket is #283943. On April 19, I called support again. She told me to attach my proof of purchase. I did. She informed me that someone would be sending an email with tracking information for the replacement. I still have not even received an email - much less a replacement. Honestly, I haven't received any official acknowledgment that they have received the information. The conversation in the ticket is entirely one sided, and as I said - I have not received any emails. Could you please check into what is happening? It's very frustrating to call and be told to wait for emails that never come.
2016-4-27
Use props
madaerial
lvl.2
United States

Actually, don't worry about it for now, Tim. I am on the phone with support and he is checking with the small parts department. He said it might take 7-10 days (it's been 8 or 9), so it might just be busy. He is looking into it though, and hopefully he will be able to resolve it. Thanks.
2016-4-27
Use props
KittenSwagger
lvl.2

United States

I have this exact same problem. It's like a small chip in the UV lens.

I took some pictures of it and was meaning to get around to making a thread on here about it.

Looks like ill be calling support later today.
2016-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules