18601 49 2015-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
presti.optonlin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1329 ft

United States

stuart.youthwat Posted at 2015-1-31 09:18
I believe part of the issue with the propellers is this. You will notice that the motors and the pro ...

I like your idea it's so simple, but maybe whoever is making the propeller may consider setscrews on the hub of the prop.
2015-1-31
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

hej@mgns.se Posted at 2015-1-15 21:14
My prop did fly off at 100 meters. There was a wind gust i believe. Do wait for the propeller locks! ...

That is very unfortunate, my friend.

How many flights had you made upon crash day???

What were your vitals like?
Did you hand tighten the props? Or spin tighten??

I fear for my bird and am trying to get as much info as possible.

Like Pete said. How did ALL OF THIS get passed BETA testing??

That was my reassurance to fly my inspire!?!
Still, I've had no problems but I'm not ignorant enough to believe im not susceptible  to malfunctions.
2015-2-1
Use props
presti.optonlin
lvl.3

United States

hej@mgns.se Posted at 2015-1-15 21:14
My prop did fly off at 100 meters. There was a wind gust i believe. Do wait for the propeller locks! ...

After pondering this I can't help but to think that if the wind gust is causing the propeller to come off this would mean that the propeller needs to spin almost twice as fast in the opposite direction of the motor,
I find that to be almost impossible.
2015-2-1
Use props
hej
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2040512 ft
Sweden

shakyamunifilms Posted at 2015-2-1 16:45
That is very unfortunate, my friend.

How many flights had you made upon crash day???

I was hand tighten the propellers.  I was even landing just after take off to feel them over once more. I had about 20 flights before with no incidents. No hard landings. No branches.  
2015-2-2
Use props
hej
lvl.2
Sweden

presti.optonlin Posted at 2015-2-1 21:56
After pondering this I can't help but to think that if the wind gust is causing the propeller to c ...

The motors has active braking. It compensates really fast and sometimes the propellers comes to an complete stop. The so called self tightening design makes it possible for the propellers to spin off due to its big mass.  The phantoms did not have active braking, therefore this was not an issue here and the self tightened design worked.
2015-2-2
Use props
presti.optonlin
lvl.3

United States

hej@mgns.se Posted at 2015-2-2 16:56
The motors has active braking. It compensates really fast and sometimes the propellers comes to an ...

I was unaware of the active braking on the motors, now it makes sense.  OK so whoever is making the propeller may consider setscrews on the hub of the prop, this will end the problem.
2015-2-2
Use props
hej
lvl.2
Sweden

presti.optonlin Posted at 2015-2-3 05:25
I was unaware of the active braking on the motors, now it makes sense.  OK so whoever is making th ...

Actually, they have the solution here ...

http://www.dji.com/product/e800

This is the same motor as the ones on the I1. Here they tell us about the locking system and why its important.
Here is the manual... Look for the locking there..

http://download.dji-innovations. ... _Manual_v1.0_en.pdf
2015-2-2
Use props
one2one photogr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 392336 ft
Canada

Hi everyone, so today at 14.56 after 2 mimutes of flying we had a blade fly off in flight.  I bought my Inspire last year and it already had the upgraded blade locks.

However I am starting to worry about fatigue of parts.  It was not the blade or locking system at fault, it was the black piece of metal that holds the blade on!  See pic...  

We used this drone commercially for photo and video and in one year flew 236 flights, 18 hours and 46 minutes with a distance of 114,044 meters with not one safety incident.  What's more embarrising is that I am on a working group for Transport Canada for safety and how to regulate these drones, now I have a completely different view on safety!  We have even had newspaper do a full write up about us.

Today we had Rogers TV filming us whilst this blade flew off.  I have written to DJi and I expect no reply but I have asked the film makers not to airthis crash.  Hope they do not.  Luckily no one was hurt, no property damage, just my drone.

My concerns over safety is now changed.  This was not a human error it was a manfacturing fault of a part.  If DJi think we flew this Inspire for to many hours without a "service" then DJi need to start providing information about when parts may wear out and need replacing.

People please check this part!  If you are using your drone a lot this part may break and cause a blade to fly off.

I am hoping DJi respond to me or offer some help or guidance.

Pete
20160315_180253.jpg

Broken drone

Broken drone
2016-3-15
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

one2one photogr Posted at 2016-3-15 17:27
Hi everyone, so today at 14.56 after 2 mimutes of flying we had a blade fly off in flight.  I bought ...

Wow,  I am sorry about you accident.  Did the Prop  Locking Mechanism break or  the Prop itself. I thought I did see a recommendations for the Props (replace so many flight hrs.) but not the locks.  Keep us posted on DJI response.

Im  sorry - donnie
2016-3-15
Use props
one2one photogr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 392336 ft
Canada

Hi Donnie, we have used 3 sets of props, just in case, not that they needed changing really.  But this is the metal part that holds everything on.  We have all 4 props, the only thing missing is this small piece that holds the prop on!  It was this one piece that failed.

DJi need to warn people about this.  I can make one call to Transport Canada and get all drones downed for safety of parts, drones have a flight log and hours logged.  These machines and parts need servicing or replacing after a number of hours of flight, DJi need to give owners guidance.  I hope they help!  But I bet they do and say nothing.  If so I will let the TV film makers air the incident if DJI take the silent route.
2016-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules