Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Another idiot
12Next >
3666 41 2016-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
harb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99986539 ft
Australia

On the News here in Oz this morning, a British Airways Pilot has reported hitting a drone.......
Not sure where....I missed it, but boy we need these things like a hole in the head
2016-4-17
Use props
lapointe
lvl.1

United States

Drone hits British Airways plane as it prepares to land at Heathrow

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ ... tish-airways-plane/
2016-4-17
Use props
harb
lvl.3
Australia

I'd say the UK guys are in for a whole new world of hurt thanks to one clown......
2016-4-17
Use props
Linolens
Second Officer
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

Seems like this clown has a whole bunch of clown friends doing clown business.
It was all plastered at Bloomberg this morning.

Great way to start the day and rack the Monday morning status to DEFCON5.

Please advise when is the clown hunting season starting.

2016-4-17
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
First Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

lapointe Posted at 2016-4-17 18:19
Drone hits British Airways plane as it prepares to land at Heathrow

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new ...

Assuming it was, indeed a drone. I want to see a photo of  the debris. As a pilot, I do not trust the accuracy of these drone reports. If it was a drone, hope the operator is found and jailed.
2016-4-17
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is serious stuff for all of us. I would like some confirmation that this was indeed a drone and shown some kind of evidence to that fact' It may appear that pilots are quick to blame the drone community for everything now.

Rich
2016-4-17
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

Could have been a BAB.
(Big assed bird)
2016-4-17
Use props
harb
lvl.3
Australia

Pretty sure it would have left a mark or 2 on the jet.......anything other than a bird strike is going to be a drone, or some other RC device, glider etc....either way they will all be tarred with the same brush......bend over and be prepared to feel the pain.
2016-4-18
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

yeah, that Heathrow airport news ...  What was he thinking about....
2016-4-18
Use props
GB44
Captain
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

So what comes to my mind is how was the operator allowed to fly so close to Heathrow.  Sounds like it may not have been a DJI UAV.

A bird strike on the front a commercial jet at Heathrow caused chaos last month, with many subsequent flights being cancelled.  It caused a big dent to the front cowl of the jet, but no one was injured and the aircraft landed safely.

I also note that it was the Police who were investigating the allegation and not the CAA.  This is due to the CAA basically washing their hands of UAV non-compliance and breach of regulations as they simply don't have the resources to investigate and prosecute illegal operations.  This makes it a little bit of a farce that commercial operators have to submit an Ops Manual to the CAA for approval and license to operate when they don't even police the subsequent operations or non-compliances.

I also note that Australia (CASA) aviation authority is also expected later in the year to release updated and relaxed UAV regulations, not stricter regulation.

What I think is needed is a more cohesive acceptance of regulations across all country aviation authorities in a similar way to how commercial pilots are recognised via the international treaty.

I personnaly don't foresee any increase in UK regulations as a consequence of this latest incident, in fact, I am expecting the CAA in the UK to relax the UAV laws and regulations this year specifically for licensed commercial operators.  This hopefully will remove the current 50m safety zone to simply an acceptable and suitable distance to be assessed by the Pilot in Command of the UAV, supported by appropriate risk assessments.  This I believe will lead to a more commercially acceptable and workable environment, but does not take away the safety and fact that the operator still needs to undertake risk assessment and prove that the proposed operations will be safe.

The UK as well as other countries have some stringent laws in place now for UAV's, but no rules or regulations will stop the idiot factor.  
2016-4-18
Use props
talk2t_c
Second Officer

France

As I said on another thread : I think he dinked it in the carpark and is afraid to fess up.
2016-4-18
Use props
evsjas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1995479 ft
United States

What pilot might have seen.. It is Parrot Drones new Duckit drone!
duck.jpg
2016-4-18
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

evsjas Posted at 2016-4-18 13:23

LMAO!  

i have been looking and haven't seen any pictures of any damage or anything.  also the plane was flying later that day.   you would think if a drone was hit some debris would have been found.   all you have is a pilot saying he may have hit a drone.  

as GB44 said about how the operator allowed it to fly so close.  im pretty sure if it was a drone, the pilot knew what he was doing and knew it was wrong.  most people are just stupid and don't use common sense.    if you read thru some of the morons posting things like, how do i get gps(then it magically worked when outside).  another who couldn't digure out how to change flight mode and saying his switch was missing,  when it really was just the damn sticker still on the RC.  and the countless morons who are crashing their drones.  blaming the drone saying its broken, then exchanging it at the apple store.   

all drone sales should be accompanied with a basic test.    asking colors of the sky and the grass,  which is hotter,  iced tea or coffee.  basic knowledge test.  
2016-4-18
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

evsjas Posted at 2016-4-18 10:23

Just watched several TV reports and, if you are not paying attention, you'd miss the "probable", "suspected," alleged".....but all people will hear is DRONE[b].
2016-4-18
Use props
evsjas
Second Officer
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2016-4-18 14:37
Just watched several TV reports and, if you are not paying attention, you'd miss the "probable", " ...

Yes. The word drone ranks right up there with bomb and assault rifles.  Lol
2016-4-18
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

evsjas Posted at 2016-4-18 12:51
Yes. The word drone ranks right up there with bomb and assault rifles.  Lol

There are a million (?) birds flying for every UAV....

It used to be any flying "thing" was reported by pilots as a UFO but the term became sinonymous with FLYING SAUCER, the pilots then were too embarrassed to report those and the airlines' management discouraged them from doing so.

Drones are the new UFOs.
2016-4-18
Use props
vr-pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4668169 ft

GB44 Posted at 2016-4-18 17:56
So what comes to my mind is how was the operator allowed to fly so close to Heathrow.  Sounds like i ...

I read in the news (about this reported UAV "mid air collision") that in the UK the drone altitude restriction is "365 meters" (which would be 1,200 ft). Is that true?
In Germany we have 120 m for recreational and 100 m for professional drone usage...
2016-4-18
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2016-4-18 14:37
Just watched several TV reports and, if you are not paying attention, you'd miss the "probable", " ...

yup,   people hear what they want.   drones are bad,  guns are bad,  drugs are bad.   people are stupid in mass age generally stupid,  looking for excuses to point fingers at "bad things"

if anyone disagrees that people are stupid,  read some of the "problems" here on the forum.  i rest my case.
2016-4-18
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

We have a major problem here in the states with different groups intentionally doing things like this to push there agenda. What better way way to get drones banned than flying into an airplane. And radicals that do this stuff don't care if people die in the process. Call me crazy but s*%t like this happens.
2016-4-18
Use props
stalked-buddha
Banned

United Kingdom

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-18
Use props
Jim09
lvl.4
United States

If it was in fact a drone than that individual needs to be felt with accordingly... Unfortunately the media continues to contribute and escalate whatever the latest/greatest is in an effort to increase their ratings... Right now that focus is on drones.   I'm not saying there aren't a lot of idiots out there... But I would also be willing to bet that at least half of all reported drone incidents are driven and/or fabricated by the media.   Again... I'm not saying that it didn't happen, or couldn't happen... But where is the evidence????   Damage to the aircraft? Remnants of the drone?  NO... Nothing to support the claim
2016-4-19
Use props
harb
lvl.3
Australia

I am public enemy number one.......I not only have drones, I am a shooter and have fast cars......not to mention my off road pursuits , ripping up the environment...... I am bad
2016-4-19
Use props
Jim09
lvl.4
United States

Lmao...
2016-4-19
Use props
Donnie
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Jim09 Posted at 2016-4-19 07:37
If it was in fact a drone than that individual needs to be felt with accordingly... Unfortunately th ...

I bet it develops and was a simple bird strike.  The number of Bird and Aircraft Strikes Last year alone 10,000  .  Number of drones striking aircraft ......0  The only close calls have been with Military Drones.

There will be no follow up story if it is a bird strike...... I would hope they would to ease the hysteria.

Cheers Jim- donnie
2016-4-19
Use props
nilsblix
First Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Also the title here is part of the " drone hysteria " - "Another Idiot" implies that it actually was a drone.
The bad news about drones seems to affect us all..............
2016-4-19
Use props
Jim09
lvl.4
United States

So.... sounds like they've confirmed the drone struck the aircraft head on... latest news anyway.   Confirmed IDIOT.... our sincere thanks who ever you are!!!  you belong in jail!!!!!   25 years for endangering all the lives on board the aircraft and those below... 50 years for being a complete imbecile...!!!!!
2016-4-19
Use props
evsjas
Second Officer
United States

harb@bigpond.ne Posted at 2016-4-19 09:15
I am public enemy number one.......I not only have drones, I am a shooter and have fast cars......no ...

I bet you don't even recycle you aluminum cans..  Lol you are soooooo destructive just like the rest of us drone owners.
2016-4-19
Use props
markaguille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

vr-pilot Posted at 2016-4-18 22:19
I read in the news (about this reported UAV "mid air collision") that in the UK the drone altitude  ...

400ft / 120m is max altitude in the uk. Although I think this applies to commercial UAV pilots and not for hobbyists.
2016-4-20
Use props
Starship
Second Officer

United States

Good news everyone ..... check out the link below

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016 ... .html?intcmp=hplnws

Looks like this was the drone

2016-4-22
Use props
evsjas
Second Officer
United States

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ ... ight-may-have-been/ might have been a plastic bag...
2016-4-22
Use props
Hterag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961978 ft
United Kingdom

This is great, I'm waiting for the new FAA announcement for mandatory plastic bag registration. Soon we'll have to report all bag strikes or rogue bag sightings.
2016-4-22
Use props
vr-pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4668169 ft

markaguille Posted at 2016-4-20 17:48
400ft / 120m is max altitude in the uk. Although I think this applies to commercial UAV pilots and ...

I have to correct myself to a ceratin degree. The 120m/400ft limit is not really a german law but a rule of thumb for staying inside reasonable limits.
When I fly as a private person I stick to the 400ft rule, because it keeps you away from regular aircrafts which are not allowed to go below 500 ft AGL with only a few exceptions.
When I fly commercially I have to fly at or below 100 m, because the governmental/official allowance is limited to that hight.
In Germany (DFS rules) you only may take off from distances larger than 1500 m from an airport's boundaries. Beyond that but inside the CTRs (airspace D) the hight is limited to 30 m (UAV weight below 5kg). Close but outside CTRs  the limit is 1000ft and for the rest of the country 2500 ft is the max  hight (staying inside airspace G but below airpsace E).
But: 2500ft AGL is actually not the greatest hight you may fly in Germany, because no one is able to maintain line-of-sight without any additional utilities (field glasses, FPV etc.).
The UAV pilot has to always maintain LOS in Germany. So - when being realistic - the "legal" operational radius (vertically and horizontally) is limited to something like 300 m (1000ft)...  
2016-4-23
Use props
Paul S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 750922 ft
United Kingdom

markaguille Posted at 2016-4-20 10:48
400ft / 120m is max altitude in the uk. Although I think this applies to commercial UAV pilots and ...

400 ft is for everyone in the UK and all the other constraints of 500m distance, not in congested areas, not within 50m of people, vehicles, structures etc.. Whatever makes you think hobbyists are exempt...
2016-4-23
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7152087 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Paul S Posted at 2016-4-23 21:59
400 ft is for everyone in the UK and all the other constraints of 500m distance, not in congested  ...

Actually for hobbyists that not actually strictly true. FPV flyers in certain circumstances can go up to 1000ft, and in free airspace there is technically no restriction. The LOS is the restriction in them cases.

400ft is the general rule though, commercial it is 400ft unless you apply for exceptions, or it's written into an OSC application.
2016-4-24
Use props
richardhurst
Banned
Flight distance : 2342808 ft
United Kingdom

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-24
Use props
Paul S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 750922 ft
United Kingdom

iSkyUnmannedSys Posted at 2016-4-24 17:07
Actually for hobbyists that not actually strictly true. FPV flyers in certain circumstances can go ...

I am sorry but you are absolutely wrong. All drone flyers in the UK hobbyists or with PfAW are regulated by CAP 393 ANO which is absolutely clear: no higher than 400ft no greater distance than 500m and in FPV you would need a spotter who was operating visually unaided within those constraints. EVLOS can only be granted to anybody specifically by the CAA in responce to an OSC. An exemption to this can only be granted as below:The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft which has a mass of more than 7kg excluding its fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight, must not fly the aircraft:
(a) in Class A, C, D or E airspace unless the permission of the appropriate air traffic control unit has been obtained;
(b) within an aerodrome traffic zone during the notified hours of watch of the air traffic control unit (if any) at that aerodrome unless the permission of any such air traffic control unit has been obtained; or
(c) at a height of more than 400 feet above the surface unless it is flying in airspace described in sub-paragraph (a) or (b) and in accordance with the requirements for that airspace.

So the only exemption from 400ft could be if ATC for a particular controlled airspace specifically allowed it.

Additionally CAP 393 emanates from the Chigago convention, an agreement to keep airways safe, which requires all signatory states to implement suitable legislation. If you think differently, then you have joined the ranks of the ill informed idiots who give us a bad name and risk a disaster.

2016-4-24
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Paul S Posted at 2016-4-24 21:16
I am sorry but you are absolutely wrong. All drone flyers in the UK hobbyists or with PfAW are regu ...

You are correct, but you are also incorrect.

The BMFA negotiated with the CAA for a safety case under certain circumstances, as in a second observer, that FPV flyers can in fact fly to 1000 feet.
Secondly, I have an email from Laurence Hey, who, at the time was operations UAV's at the CAA. Who states that in open airspace there is in fact no hight restrictions for hobbyists, but LOS would Be the limiting factor.

Please don't start rattling of ANO or CAP numbers, I've been doing commercial flying for over three years and know the rules.  
2016-4-24
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You need to remember there is law and there is guidance. There is no legally defined maximum height for recreational, it is restricted to 400ft for commercial as part of your permission (exc exemptions).

Recreational guidance is that you should stay under 400ft because rule 5 states manned aircraft shouldn't fly *closer* than 500ft, which is generally acted upon as not going *below* 500ft which also allows for other risks too such as engine failure.

CAP722 is an example of guidance, the Air Navigation order is an example of law based on the The Civil Aviation act.
2016-4-24
Use props
harb
lvl.3
Australia

What else could it have been but a drone.....it would be easy to prove it was a bird.........Drone RC plane, all the same, and they will put them all in the same bag.
The trouble is, if it is not a bird, it can only be someone flying illegally near an airport, with a plane , drone or some other RC model and it looks bad either way for us
2016-4-24
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

harb@bigpond.ne Posted at 2016-4-25 07:42
What else could it have been but a drone.....it would be easy to prove it was a bird.........Drone R ...

Harb,
Currently there is no evidence that it was a drone. Guess it will all come out in the CAA's investigation.

As far as it effecting the UK laws, we have nothing to worry about. We have well established air laws governing the use of drones either commercially or as an hobbyist. Regardless of any subsequent efforts by the rule makers to try and stop this sort of thing happening, idiots will always be idiots.
2016-4-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules