Red / White Dots / Artifacts in Video / Photos
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
accidentalcio
lvl.1

United States

This just started. I've had this  bird about 9 months, no problems. Have done all sorts of great stuff. But for some reason now, I am getting all sorts of red and white dots in my photos and video. I the video I get this in both 1080p(60f) and 4k. It's in photos too. It's completely intermittidant. In Sunday's shoot, 75% of the photos and all the video had this problem. In yesterday's shoot, only about 25% had this problem. See samples below. Any ideas? This is on a Phantom 3 Professional.

Video w/problem (1080p)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55592211/red_dots_example.MOV

Pictures w/problem
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.co ... 0dot%20example1.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.co ... t%20example%202.jpg

Best,

Tim

2016-4-19
Use props
mrbillgill1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 717100 ft
United Kingdom

Only thing I can think of is some kind of dirt on the sensor. Have you flown on dusty conditions?
2016-4-19
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

I don't think that it is dirt on the sensor, because the distribution is different from one photo to another (not hot pixels either for the same reason). Seems to be in the darker areas, but not the darkest points. Perhaps a problem in the digitization of the light levels (ADC unit); this would require a DJI repair. Perhaps someone else has an idea.
Best of luck!
2016-4-19
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I agree with Johnsr it must be a problem with the digitisation . Nothing you can do about it. Just try flying in a different area away for all humanity (RF interference) and see if its the same. If so, it's a repair job in my opinion.
2016-4-19
Use props
accidentalcio
lvl.1

United States

so what is the adc unit?  if i just buy a new camera does that take care of the problem.
2016-4-19
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
France

accidentalcio Posted at 2016-4-19 15:16
so what is the adc unit?  if i just buy a new camera does that take care of the problem.

ADC means analog to digital converter. Its a component in the electronics chain that converts amplified electronics signals from your camera's sensor into digital information. I mentioned it as a possibility, the next stage in the chain handles the information from the pixels. The problem could happen at one of these lower levels. As the previous poster said, it could be RF interference, so rule that out first. If finally it is a real problem, then yes, a new camera would work, but a repair might be much cheaper (its all on a small PCB in the camera). I would contact DJI.

Note added 25 min later: I checked out the SONY EXMOR R sensor used in the P3P; its a sensor with an on-chip A/D conversion & noise reduction circuits. That means, if ithe problem is real (not RF nor firmware related) the camera's sensor unit would need to be replaced.
2016-4-19
Use props
accidentalcio
lvl.1

United States

I am keeping this post alive.

Tonight I did lots of testing. I downgraded the firmware to 1.07 and it didn't make a difference. Also played with different camera settings, to no avail. It is awfully intermittent though - makes me think it is light based. I have checked the cables and they are all tight. I bought a new camera and it should arrive tomorrow - I will post updates then. Best, Tim
2016-4-20
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
France

Some others seem to be having a similar problem. Incidentally, I checked through some photos I took with my P3P flying the day after the firmware updates; no sign of your problem. I hope that your camera change works out.
Best of luck!
2016-4-21
Use props
alwllms1
New

United States

So did you ever figure out what the problem was?  Also did the steps you took make a difference?
2016-8-28
Use props
Larsenandson
lvl.2

United States

Same  exact  thing started happening to me, yesterday.....
2016-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules