Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 keeps going into atti mode when flying indoors.
12993 21 2016-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kylehancock334
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Has anyone else come across this or is it jist me? Whenever i try and fly indoors my P4 for some reason switches to atti mode automatically which in turn, turns off all the sensors and i get a red line through the sensor icon on the DJI app. This only seems to happen when flying indoors, as the obstacle avoidance and other sensors seem to stay on fine when flying outdoors. Its done this since i bought it, and hasnt got any better since. Its making recording indoors a bit tricky. Any ideas?
2016-4-19
Use props
mark.mwilliams7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1235738 ft
United Kingdom

yes this is correct when you fly indoors you switch to ATTI mode as you dont get GPS indoors
2016-4-19
Use props
kylehancock334
lvl.1

United Kingdom

But what's the point in having the obstacle avoidance and other sensors that are supposed to keep the P4 steady if it forces them to switch off when you don't have a GPS signal? Aren't they supposed to help keep the P4 steady in flight when GPS is unavailable?
2016-4-19
Use props
kylehancock334
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Also I'm in P mode when flying indoors but it shows it is in Atti mode which turns all the sensors off!!
2016-4-19
Use props
kylehancock334
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Anyone? Some advice and ideas would be welcome
2016-4-19
Use props
mark.mwilliams7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

turn the switch to ATTI mode on thr transmitter you will have the ground sensors unit the P4 for stable flight
2016-4-19
Use props
kylehancock334
lvl.1

United Kingdom

mark.mwilliams7 Posted at 2016-4-19 10:31
turn the switch to ATTI mode on thr transmitter you will have the ground sensors unit the P4 for sta ...

I dont though. I get a red line through the sensor icon and the P4 drifts around constantly. I thought these sensors were to help to stabalise flight indoors. Putting or being forced to use atti mode disables these sensors. That makes no sense?
2016-4-19
Use props
mark.mwilliams7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

kylehancock334@ Posted at 2016-4-19 10:36
I dont though. I get a red line through the sensor icon and the P4 drifts around constantly. I tho ...

makes sense to me as theres no GPS indoors so it can't have a location to lock too, thr downward sensors need a serface with texture so it can see itself moving try a spot or striped carpet
2016-4-19
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you calibrated your obstacle  avoidance sensors using the DJI Assist App, that may be the problem. When in P mode and no GPS indoors it should switch to OPTI mode as far as I remember.  Which then uses the optical & ultrsonic sensors to stabalise the aircraft. For some of the trickier indoor closeups you could just hand hold the aircraft and move about as needed.
2016-4-19
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Here are the definitions of 3 flight modes: 飞行模式.JPG
2016-4-19
Use props
Drone 5150
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88294 ft
United States

Make sure there is enough light for the camera sensors to "see" properly.
2016-4-19
Use props
kylehancock334
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Drone 5150 Posted at 2016-4-19 19:54
Make sure there is enough light for the camera sensors to "see" properly.

Hi, yer the lighting is fine and im not getting any error messages. But for some reason instead of it switching to opti mode, its forcing the P4 into atti mode and is disabling all the sensors for no reason. As far as im aware this shouldnt be happening. Im not choosing atti mode, the P4 is going into this mode on its own and no matter what i do it wont let me change this back to opti (with sensors turned on). So indoor flight becomes very tricky.
2016-4-19
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-19 06:49
Here are the definitions of 3 flight modes:

So VPS doesn't work on the P4 in atti mode? VPS works fine on my Phantom 3 Pro in atti mode...
2016-4-19
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Captain
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you getting any errors? Compass ?
2016-4-19
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Seems like you must need to calibrate the optical sensors.  You can not expect to get gps indoors,  but the vps optical and audio sensors should work.
2016-4-19
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

kylehancock334@ Posted at 2016-4-19 05:19
But what's the point in having the obstacle avoidance and other sensors that are supposed to keep th ...

VPS just keeps your drone steady in indoor flight,   the obstacle avoidance is shut off indoors because when you get with in 5 feet of an object it starts to go ballistic.     in other works if you are in a 20 by 20 foot room  400 square feet,  you can only effectively fly in a 10 X 10 area in the middle of the room 100 sq feet.   borderline useless      the phantom is not a small drone and mostly useless flying indoors unless your in a gymnasium or something.     and gps doesn't work in doors because of obvious reasons, at least i hope obvious.   

your best bet is get a little beater pos drone for indoor flying,   its alot saver over all, and cheaper if you have a accident which is very high likely hood if flying inside house
2016-4-19
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

mrGREEK360 Posted at 2016-4-20 04:43
So VPS doesn't work on the P4 in atti mode? VPS works fine on my Phantom 3 Pro in atti mode...

In P-OPTI mode, the VPS works as normal. But in ATTI mode, the ultrasonic module on the VPS works only.
2016-4-19
Use props
Jongsun Lee
lvl.1

South Korea

I had same experience.My client want to inspect cracks of bridges and tunnels where people hard to access. So I flew phantom 4 into GPS shadow area but GPS signal still detected some area. When GPS signal is detacted, P4 automatically switches its mode from P-OPTI to ATTI. I suppose when it gets more than 6 GPS signals it automatically switchs. Also if you fly from outdoor condition into indoor area where less than 6 GPS number is detected for example, underneth the bridges or tunnels, Phantom 4 will switch its mode from P-OPTI to ATTI.  
For indoor flight, It is important to use VPS however, VPS doesn't work in ATTI mode. I had to use P-OPTI mode for vision posintioning but problem is automatic mode switching.  In this point, more problem is, when the mode switched from G-OPTI to ATTI, P4 goes ballistic, it drifted unexpected direction with quite fast speed. I don't know why this is happened. For the safety flight, it should be kept G-OPTI mode and continue to maintain vision posioning or sonar supported positioning.
Finally, My solution was that covered GPS antenna area(top of P4) with reflective plastic sheet. It keeps P-OPTI mode and activate VPS indoors. The plastic sheet is kind of Lays potato chip bag material.

2016-5-22
Use props
PhanFran
First Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Bottomine here is that the Phantom is not really designed to fly indoors, why would you ?
2016-5-22
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

P-OPTI will not work if not enough light, it will switch on and off if light levels increased/decreased.
2016-5-22
Use props
water0106
Banned

Singapore

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-25
Use props
Deezel
New
United Kingdom

kylehancock334@ Posted at 2016-4-19 12:35
Hi, yer the lighting is fine and im not getting any error messages. But for some reason instead of it switching to opti mode, its forcing the P4 into atti mode and is disabling all the sensors for no reason. As far as im aware this shouldnt be happening. Im not choosing atti mode, the P4 is going into this mode on its own and no matter what i do it wont let me change this back to opti (with sensors turned on). So indoor flight becomes very tricky.

My p4 does the same after that firmware update P mode used to flash green on drone but now it's flashing yellow and saying it's in ATI mode
2017-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules